• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Regarding PC gaming

Now that I have read through the whole thread, I guess we should know what you are using now to access the internet. Maybe you don't even need a gaming PC to play CIV 6.

Also, this may seem way out of left field, but these days there are options for getting into PC gaming that are neither a laptop nor a desktop, and are rather affordable. The handheld market may be well suited for you. The most popular of these platforms in the SteamDeck which looks kind of like a Nintendo Switch, but is more powerful and has a library of PC games it can run, including CIV 6.

The SteamDeck even has a dock that allows you to use a mouse and keyboard with it and connect it to a monitor or TV, but gives you the option of taking it with you.

Also, if handhelds seem like a viable option for you there are really good handhelds that run Windows, so you could dock them and use them as a regular PC if you wanted, but they are built with gaming in mind. Those will cost you more than a SteamDeck, though.

A SteamDeck with ~500GB of storage will run you about $620 including the dock.

An ASUS ROG Ally with the same storage capacity would be $780, or $980 with 2TB of storage. This wouldn't include a dock, but any PC dock should work since they are all UCB-C connected these days.

Last edited:
I'm so interested to play Sid Mier's Civilization VI..............................that I'm willing to try gaming on the computer.
I'm not into gaming on-line though.

Never done computer gaming, so I'm dumber than dumb.

Aside from buying the game, what else do I need to have to be able to play it?
If I'm going to buy a new computer.......................what kind should I have in order to play PC games??
System Requirements
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system.
  • OS *: Windows 7x64 / Windows 8.1x64 / Windows 10x64.
  • Processor: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater.
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: 1 GB & AMD 5570 or nVidia 450 or Intel Integrated Graphics 530.
  • DirectX: Version 11.

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • OS *: Windows 7x64 / Windows 8.1x64 / Windows 10x64
    • Processor: Fourth Generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 2GB & AMD 7970 or nVidia 770 or greater
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 23 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Device
Memory card to play most games like Call of Duty, Batman Arkham Knights or Assassins Creed will need 12 GB RAM or more, along with a Nividia GeForce RTX4060 graphics card or better.

Oh man, if you are in to turn based RPGs then you are are tapping into an amazing panacea of games with a PC. So, so many amazing RPGs for PC...

I love turn-based (especially those that are tactics).
I find action RPG a bit stressing, although they are fun and I like them too.

A series I love too is the Onimusha series.

There are RPGs though that are frustrating since some of them makes you go from point A to point B by performing something so hard - like timed jumpings.
I suppose at my age right now - I've little patience for them. :)

System Requirements
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system.
  • OS *: Windows 7x64 / Windows 8.1x64 / Windows 10x64.
  • Processor: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater.
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: 1 GB & AMD 5570 or nVidia 450 or Intel Integrated Graphics 530.
  • DirectX: Version 11.

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • OS *: Windows 7x64 / Windows 8.1x64 / Windows 10x64
    • Processor: Fourth Generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 2GB & AMD 7970 or nVidia 770 or greater
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 23 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Device
Memory card to play most games like Call of Duty, Batman Arkham Knights or Assassins Creed will need 12 GB RAM or more, along with a Nividia GeForce RTX4060 graphics card or better.

If I'm not mistaken, when we bought my current PC, the sales guy says it can be upgraded.
I remember that he asked me what I'd like to use it for - I was just very much into PS2 console that I told him it's just for forums and youtube.
So he recommended this that I have now.

Maybe they can help me with the upgrade when i explain that this time I want to play PC games.
If I can't upgrade, I'll make sure I tell them I want something that can handle PC games.

Lol - I better make sure I talk to a young guy - they're most likely experts with this. :)

Now that I have read through the whole thread, I guess we should know what you are using now to access the internet. Maybe you don't even need a gaming PC to play CIV 6.

Also, this may seem way out of left field, but these days there are options for getting into PC gaming that are neither a laptop nor a desktop, and are rather affordable. The handheld market may be well suited for you. The most popular of these platforms in the SteamDeck which looks kind of like a Nintendo Switch, but is more powerful and has a library of PC games it can run, including CIV 6.

The SteamDeck even has a dock that allows you to use a mouse and keyboard with it and connect it to a monitor or TV, but gives you the option of taking it with you.

Also, if handhelds seem like a viable option for you there are really good handhelds that run Windows, so you could dock them and use them as a regular PC if you wanted, but they are built with gaming in mind. Those will cost you more than a SteamDeck, though.

A SteamDeck with ~500GB of storage will run you about $620 including the dock.

An ASUS ROG Ally with the same storage capacity would be $780, or $980 with 2TB of storage. This wouldn't include a dock, but any PC dock should work since they are all UCB-C connected these days.

Just to be clear - I don't want to get into online gaming.

I mean a PC game that is off-line. Are those still availabe?
Or, everything has go online now?

yes, I'd like something with a controller like the consoles.

I didn't find Civ VI to be as engaging as some of the earlier versions of the game. That's probably because my preferred play style is one of military domination and I have very little interest in diplomatic or cultural game play. Civ V is my go to game when everything else feels stale but I have a soft spot for Civ III.

Which is your fave CIV?

I don't think I'm really keen on diplomatic/cultural too.
Which one is easiest to get into (for a beginner)?

As others have said you won't need that fancy a computer to play civ 6.

You may want to check into Steam if you haven't already. They periodically put games, Civ 6 for instance, on big sales.

I would be surprised if civ 6 wasn't on sale for 85 percent off (there historic sales price) for their annual winter sale which I believe starts on the 21st this year. I think that prices it at only 8.99.

FYI, if you aren't familiar with Steam it is safe and reliable. You can download whatever games you buy to any computer. You will have to download the client and register but after that it is easy to shop for whatever game you want.

I may not want CIV6 after all, by the sound of it.
But I love it that PC has a lot of rpgs.

I just started going through recommended high ratings titles, read reviews - then I check them out on youtube.

Just to be clear - I don't want to get into online gaming.

understood. but does that include not having an online account and downloading the games? If you dont want that then that would be a problem since most games dont have physical media anymore.

I mean a PC game that is off-line. Are those still availabe?
Or, everything has go online now?

there are tons of games on steam that are off-line, but you do need a steam account and download them.

yes, I'd like something with a controller like the consoles.

look into a Steam Deck, they are a hand held computer with a built in controller and you can play Civ 6 on it.

I love turn-based (especially those that are tactics).
I find action RPG a bit stressing, although they are fun and I like them too.

A series I love too is the Onimusha series.

There are RPGs though that are frustrating since some of them makes you go from point A to point B by performing something so hard - like timed jumpings.
I suppose at my age right now - I've little patience for them. :)

Understood. If you do get a system to play games on I can give you a list of great turn based RPGs.

Which is your fave CIV?

I don't think I'm really keen on diplomatic/cultural too.
Which one is easiest to get into (for a beginner)?
They've all got a little charm and personality of their own. Civ III was the last to use the 4 sided tiles and allowed you to stack military units. It wasn't too hard to figure out the gameplay. Civ V uses hexagon tiles and you can't stack military units but it has a more satisfying feel to it, at least for me. The more recent versions have, if I remember correctly, a broader range of mission based units at your disposal no matter what your preferred method of domination is and the games do look better. I'm not sure how much looks really mean for a Civ game as the graphics aren't all that important but, perhaps, not looking "old" makes a difference for some players. Civ VI just added in more stuff that I didn't feel like dealing with.

That's what I'm worried about.
If it's that complicated.
I bought Civ VI a few weeks ago. I got it really cheap through Steam. The game is as hard or easy as you make it. You can adjust almost everything to your liking: The time frame of the game, the size of the map, the difficulty level, the number of neutral city states. It also comes with many add ons and challenges you can play, or choose not to play.

I'm playing it now because Lord of the Rings Online has been down since early yesterday. The dev said...

We are continuing to work overnight to address issues preventing the game services from being available. If something changes overnight we will let you know, otherwise we will be back in touch in the morning. As to the cause, we have significant hardware that is not able to communicate properly, and we've engaged technical operations folks all day and night here to work on it at the data center.

I don't know what this means exactly but "significant hardware that is unable to communicate" sounds really bad. I'm ready for a days long delay.

Civ 6 should run on a fairly basic computer. Approx $1000 can. Especially if you lower the graphics on it. It should not require a great graphics card

1 TB hard drive 1080 or equivalent Graphics card and a mid level Intel I5

If I'm not mistaken, when we bought my current PC, the sales guy says it can be upgraded.
I remember that he asked me what I'd like to use it for - I was just very much into PS2 console that I told him it's just for forums and youtube.
So he recommended this that I have now.

Maybe they can help me with the upgrade when i explain that this time I want to play PC games.
If I can't upgrade, I'll make sure I tell them I want something that can handle PC games.

Lol - I better make sure I talk to a young guy - they're most likely experts with this. :)
Most desktop computers can be upgraded, but there are items that are dependent on other pieces of equipment

Upgrading your CPU may require changing your motherboard, upgrading your GPU may require upgrading your power supply unit.

If you upgrade your CPU you probably will need to upgrade your RAM.

As long as you don't want to play City Skylines or Cyberpunk 2077 then yours will likely be good enough to play Civ 6. My laptop from 2015 was good enough to play Civ 5

My favorite Civ game was Civ Revolution, as it could be done in 2 hours vs days for a full Civ 5 game

Back
Top Bottom