• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MLB 2024

It was a rare time I was glad I was at work rather than watching the game.
I played baseball in HS
. Then played a lot of fast pitch softball (it was popular back in the 70s) in my 20s..when the pitcher was wild, it was boring as hell.. And I'm a lefty so I played mostly 1st base.. So at least I got to talk to the walked batters.. But the rest of the fielders were picking daisys... Lol..

Mouthy fans in NYC?.. I'm shocked, I tell you I'm shocked... Lol
The story is not the ejection, the story is the crappy umps at the MLB level. Imo, there is no 'umpire' strike zone, there is a strike zone. Bring on the technology for calling balls and strikes.

The story is not the ejection, the story is the crappy umps at the MLB level. Imo, there is no 'umpire' strike zone, there is a strike zone. Bring on the technology for calling balls and strikes.
Oh.. I've seen that already this year... It's almost like the Umps are begging for a computer to call balls and strikes..

Oh.. I've seen that already this year... It's almost like the Umps are begging for a computer to call balls and strikes..
👍

I'd keep the umpires on the field, but I would take as much subjectivity from them as technology allows. Balls and strikes, tag plays. fair/foul etc.
I'd also give technology the replay. In my mind, if they can't determine the answer in 30 seconds, there is no clear and convincing evidence. I'd prefer no challenges, just an ump sitting in the replay center that pushes a button on any play that is questionable. Get the call right without a big delay.

The story is not the ejection, the story is the crappy umps at the MLB level. Imo,
Wendlestedt’s post-game comments were full of sickening lies and word salad. Where are you boss manfred? Put the buzzer in their ear and be done with it.
there is no 'umpire' strike zone, there is a strike zone. Bring on the technology for calling balls and strikes.
Sixty percent of the ‘called’ strikes by Wendlestedt were balls in that game. Batter’s woes are easily explained with umps like HW & other changing factors like pitcher technology.

Today’s HP ump for ARI/STL is D.J. Reyburn with a K boost of 1.23. His hitter boosts are all well less than 1.00. He’s another notorious ‘pitcher’s’ ump.

It’s easy to see how pitchers like Rodon and Sears can go 7.0 and 6.0 innings respectively with that ump these days. MLB’s 30 pitchers averaged 6.0 innings on Monday. That’s a rare event. Many of us want starters going longer but not this way.

Your SF had Keaton Winn develop at AAA. It’s all over mlb with good young pitchers coming up as the minors seem back from Covid.

I'd keep the umpires on the field, but I would take as much subjectivity from them as technology allows. Balls and strikes, tag plays. fair/foul etc.
I'd also give technology the replay. In my mind, if they can't determine the answer in 30 seconds, there is no clear and convincing evidence. I'd prefer no challenges, just an ump sitting in the replay center that pushes a button on any play that is questionable. Get the call right without a big delay.
Snell to the IL.

Wendlestedt’s post-game comments were full of sickening lies and word salad. Where are you boss manfred? Put the buzzer in their ear and be done with it.

Sixty percent of the ‘called’ strikes by Wendlestedt were balls in that game. Batter’s woes are easily explained with umps like HW & other changing factors like pitcher technology.

Today’s HP ump for ARI/STL is D.J. Reyburn with a K boost of 1.23. His hitter boosts are all well less than 1.00. He’s another notorious ‘pitcher’s’ ump.

It’s easy to see how pitchers like Rodon and Sears can go 7.0 and 6.0 innings respectively with that ump these days. MLB’s 30 pitchers averaged 6.0 innings on Monday. That’s a rare event. Many of us want starters going longer but not this way.

Your SF had Keaton Winn develop at AAA. It’s all over mlb with good young pitchers coming up as the minors seem back from Covid.
Winn has been strong all spring and he definitely looks like he could stay in the rotation. SF gets to .500 with a win today...and won't see the Dodgers again until September (I think).

Winn has been strong all spring and he definitely looks like he could stay in the rotation. SF gets to .500 with a win today...and won't see the Dodgers again until September (I think).
Manaea’s been better this year so far but had a long 2nd inning. Avoiding these long innings and at-bats has become paramount.

Nine day games with the 4th OAK/NYY game tonight during the nfl draft as well as the nba and nhl playoffs. Six 4-game series conclude today.

Not a big fan of day games. Screws with my circadian rhythm.

You just saw a terrible ball called strike 3 by a new umpire Walsh for YY.

Day games are mostly of two varieties, in the 1:00 hour and later in the 4:00 hour which your Dodgers are now playing in, really screwing up batters. Pray for clouds with the lights.

Surprised me at first, but mlb and espn actually have different stats for day/night games. I’m guessing it’s all the variable times, aiding pitchers.

Btw, yesterday and today have seen a fade of quality starting pitching. Several starters got yanked in the 5th inning with a lead, like Manaea (edit: who was pissed) and Jon Gray.

Last edited:
All Dodgers starting pitchers have 5+ days of rest in every one of their starts, opposite from past years and other teams. YY and Ohtani have to be happy with this.

Now your batting lineup is a different story. It’s like Roberts went to the Leo Durocher school of never changing your lineup or having to think, like slipping Outman or Lux in batting 2nd against RHs to get good pitches to hit.

The pitching seems suspect. Both the starters and relievers haven't show consistency with a few exceptions.

Roberts is not a tinkerer. Maybe he wants to get Freeman going. While Betts and Ohtani are on fire, Freeman at the number 3 spot has been struggling a little. They've restored order after a horrible home stand by beating up on the Nationals. They're got the Blue Jays next so we'll see.

All Dodgers starting pitchers have 5+ days of rest in every one of their starts, opposite from past years and other teams. YY and Ohtani have to be happy with this.

Now your batting lineup is a different story. It’s like Roberts went to the Leo Durocher school of never changing your lineup or having to think, like slipping Outman or Lux in batting 2nd against RHs to get good pitches to hit.

The pitching seems suspect. Both the starters and relievers haven't show consistency with a few exceptions.

Roberts is not a tinkerer. Maybe he wants to get Freeman going. While Betts and Ohtani are on fire, Freeman at the number 3 spot has been struggling a little. They've restored order after a horrible home stand by beating up on the Nationals. They're got the Blue Jays next so we'll see.
Enjoy your sunny weather behind the orange curtain in LA today.
It’s been raining hard in the Chicago area, but swish analytics didn’t get that memo, at 0%. They did get the HP ump correctly very early. He’s CB Bucknor, a hack’s hack, with a 1.14 K boost and < 1.00 on five stats for batters. He’s been brutal, helping Lugo and Olson.

20 minutes before the 1st game of a series when https://www.mlb.com posts the box is the time to verify the umps. I have heard discussions of getting rid of the ump rotation. All of this is now affecting sports betting.

https://www.covers.com
has weather and everything else.
I’ve been back to:
a lot for pitcher logs lately.
Day/night is harder, with so many variable times.

So is it 5 or 4 days rest???

I'm not in LA, I'm in Vegas getting rained on. Its ridiculous that umpire selection can affect the odds of a game.

Enjoy your sunny weather behind the orange curtain in LA today.
It’s been raining hard in the Chicago area, but swish analytics didn’t get that memo, at 0%. They did get the HP ump correctly very early. He’s CB Bucknor, a hack’s hack, with a 1.14 K boost and < 1.00 stats for batters. He’s been brutal, helping Lugo and Olson.

20 minutes before the 1st game of a series when https://www.mlb.com posts the box is the time to verify the umps. I have heard discussions of getting rid of the ump rotation. All of this is now affecting sports betting.

https://www.covers.com
has weather and everything else.
I’ve been back to:
a litfor pitcher logs lately.
Day/night is harder, with so many variable times.

So is it 5 or 4 days rest???

I'm not in LA, I'm in Vegas getting rained on. It’s ridiculous that umpire selection can affect the odds of a game.
You saw it with YY last night. Glasnow is hit or miss, 14 Ks then 5. It doesn’t help my expressions that I’ve been glued to the extra-innings 8-box for 4+ weeks and seen all these missed K calls. A bad K call on strike one/two can and does cause a weekly hit out.

After today, you know the HP umps for this weekend. HOU/COL are off today with their ‘rivalry’ 2-game series this weekend. All these domes lead to lower runs, as you should see in TOR. Bassitt for TOR tonight appears to be finding a groove.

Last edited:
I believe you. Didn't mean to imply that I thought you were wrong. Its ridiculous that there's so much variety in the way umps call balls and strikes. I remember back when there was a set of NL umps and a different set of AL umps. There was much talk during WS about how that night umps would affect the game. Treating all umps as just baseball umps was a good idea but with the strike zone outlined on your tv set you can see the variation between umps.

You saw it with YY last night. Glasnow is hit or miss, 14 Ks then 5. It doesn’t help me my expressions that I’ve been glued to the extra-innings 8-box for 4+ weeks and seen all these missed K calls. A bad K call on strike one/two can and does cause a weekly hit out.

After today, you know the HP umps for this weekend. HOU/COL are off today with their ‘rivalry’ 2-game series this weekend. All these domes lead to lower runs, as you should see in TOR. Bassitt for TOR tonight appears to be finding a groove.

Back
Top Bottom