• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Instrument players? Getting in your 'zone' when learning to play? (1 Viewer)

Chock Full o Nuts

Voting for Pedro!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
So last year while I was down for a bit, I picked up a banjo. On my ass for 2 months. Had another cheapy years ago.
(Not a redneck, I promise! :ROFLMAO: , just the one instrument, "if I was gonna?.." that's it. Love the sound and rhythm)

Well, had learned a bit, got back to work, and kinda sat for a few.
Been picking it back up, and don't think I'm doing bad.

But it seems I can pick it up and 'belt out' :rolleyes:😁 the song for a minute, but then it seems I start concentrating too much and start jumping around.
Put it down for a minute, repeat...

Kinda start to tense up and pay too much attention to every move vs. just letting it flow if that makes sense.

So last year while I was down for a bit, I picked up a banjo. On my ass for 2 months. Had another cheapy years ago.
(Not a redneck, I promise! :ROFLMAO: , just the one instrument, "if I was gonna?.." that's it. Love the sound and rhythm)

But it seems I can pick it up and 'belt out' :rolleyes:😁 the song for a minute, but then it seems I start concentrating too much and start jumping around.

Kinda start to tense up and pay too much attention to every move vs. just letting it flow if that makes sense.
I'm guessing you need more practice.

I don't play any instrument, but I watched my son with his wind instruments (clarinet, sax, French horn, mellophone) and he would practice for hours on end until he didn't have to "think" about anything. The music just came out of the instrument.

I play guitar, piano, bass, and drums. Get 5 basic chords down and then write your own little tunes out of them. After awhile, pick up another chord or two, write some new little tunes.

I play guitar, piano, bass, and drums. Get 5 basic chords down and then write your own little tunes out of them. After awhile, pick up another chord or two, write some new little tunes.
Not quite there, but know what you mean. As far as banjo, practicing rolls, mixing it up, certain cords, 'pulls'..etc
I've been taking tutor from Jim Pankey on YT. He does a great job on getting you started and progressing.

"Play the sunset"
1715216024919.png

I was taught classical piano. As one poster said and another said also ..do it until it's over before you know what you did.
Personally, learn the inverted chords. They add some spice in your talent. And for pete sakes, learn some of the complicated chords. They tend to put you where you have not traveled before. :) :)

i am one heck of a guitar owner
and one hack of a guitar player
so, take the following with a large huge grain of salt

we play our instruments
it should not feel like work
"pick it up and 'belt out' ... the song for a minute, but then it seems I start concentrating too much and start jumping around"
is it possible you were initially playing by feel and then lost the feel and defaulted to rote playing, which can often seem more mechanical than musical
learn new songs. songs that you like to hear and would want to play. it should not be very long until you acquire a substantial music vocabulary, which will then allow you to play by feel much of the time

try to find a blue grass or acoustic country jam/meet-up in your area. something where banjo is a featured instrument ... because you will be more likely to become acquainted with more banjo players to share information and technique, and other musicians who play your style of music. there is nothing that will make you a better player than playing with other musos - especially those who have stronger chops
then, when playing with others, LISTEN to what THEY are playing. that musical information should lead you to play to that song. it's a collaboration, a melding of individual instruments

find a banjo that makes you want to play; an instrument that inspires you to play more. maybe you already own it. but if not, allow yourself the opportunity to find it. that quest can be a lot of fun ... and it need not be expensive

finally, buy a good clip-on headstock tuner. i use the peterson strobo clip. (they have released a newer model that will recharge using your lap top, if you want to avoid replacing batteries). playing to songs on youtube will be much more fun if you are in tune with others (typically to A440 - the stock tuner setting)

Performance anxiety. For new players it's common. The ability to play long pieces takes practice. I taught myself guitar as a teen and I've been studying classical guitar for 5 years. I had the same initial issue. Short pieces were fine. But I'd totally derail on the long ones. There are a lot of strategies for overcoming this. The most common is to break the piece into parts. Then focus on one part at a time. You'll find you can then glue them together more readily. One other one that works really well for long pieces is to learn it backward. That is...start at the last measure. Master it. Then add the previous measure on and play the 2 through. Then keep adding a measure on in reverse and play to the end. That way when you get all they way back to the beginning you have the later parts of the piece far more ingrained so it actually gets easier as you go along.

Don't overestimate your skills. I crashed and burned after our Holiday Ensemble ended. Because I wanted bigger and better pieces to play. But my teacher knows I'm not capable yet. So I fell off for 3 months. A couple weeks ago I picked up a bunch of my foundational pieces again and I'm really back to enjoying my practice sessions.

Stay humble. Play music you like. Don't get caught up in complexity. Simple songs can be great if you give them your artistic slant. So just learn something and play it great!

Don't be afraid of basics. Practice your skills. Scales, especially ones that have multiple fret shifts. That will increase your left hand speed. Find fingerpicking drills for your right hand. We have a shed load of them in classical and a number of them are my warmup before I play. The basics are what you build on to do the really cool shit. Don't forget that.

And most of all, have fun no matter how good or bad you do. I used to criticize myself a lot. Now my teacher has me play in front of other people a lot. And that really helps you to not be too hard on yourself. So just go do it!

You’re still learning. Go with the flow. I play piano and am teaching myself stand-up bass.

And there’s nothing wrong with banjo music. Ever heard of Billy Strings? Ever tried to get a ticket to one of his shows? I have. 😂

i am one heck of a guitar owner
and one hack of a guitar player
so, take the following with a large huge grain of salt

we play our instruments
it should not feel like work
"pick it up and 'belt out' ... the song for a minute, but then it seems I start concentrating too much and start jumping around"
is it possible you were initially playing by feel and then lost the feel and defaulted to rote playing, which can often seem more mechanical than musical
learn new songs. songs that you like to hear and would want to play. it should not be very long until you acquire a substantial music vocabulary, which will then allow you to play by feel much of the time

try to find a blue grass or acoustic country jam/meet-up in your area. something where banjo is a featured instrument ... because you will be more likely to become acquainted with more banjo players to share information and technique, and other musicians who play your style of music. there is nothing that will make you a better player than playing with other musos - especially those who have stronger chops
then, when playing with others, LISTEN to what THEY are playing. that musical information should lead you to play to that song. it's a collaboration, a melding of individual instruments

find a banjo that makes you want to play; an instrument that inspires you to play more. maybe you already own it. but if not, allow yourself the opportunity to find it. that quest can be a lot of fun ... and it need not be expensive

finally, buy a good clip-on headstock tuner. i use the peterson strobo clip. (they have released a newer model that will recharge using your lap top, if you want to avoid replacing batteries). playing to songs on youtube will be much more fun if you are in tune with others (typically to A440 - the stock tuner setting)

Excellent advice.

Just circling back, sorry for lack of response, thanks for good advice all.

Yeah, just getting started and try to get ahead of myself. Learning to back off and slow it down.
I'm getting some things down without much thought.

Hitting clean with these sausage fingers is a major hurdle. They are used to tools and not banjos.
They don't wanna work like that! :ROFLMAO:
Hell, back of my bicep hurt this morning from a period of contorting my arm and wrist last night.

I was bad today though..😁 I went to get some better picks and well...
..My starter was a $200+(Amazon- ADM straight outta China I believe), so I said hmm..
It isn't bad, resonator back and all, but this sounds better!

Ibanez, one little chip in the finish on the neck right up at the side of the head knocked off a hundred putting it at 400.
20240517_183122.jpg

You’re still learning. Go with the flow. I play piano and am teaching myself stand-up bass.

And there’s nothing wrong with banjo music. Ever heard of Billy Strings? Ever tried to get a ticket to one of his shows? I have. 😂

No, but dig it.(y)

No, but dig it.(y)

Let me find you a couple of my favorites.

This is him covering my favorite Dylan song. I like what one of the comments said. “We pick the wrong people to be famous.”

Love this one, too. The guy in the back is just life, man. He’s high as balls. 😂

Just circling back, sorry for lack of response, thanks for good advice all.

Yeah, just getting started and try to get ahead of myself. Learning to back off and slow it down.
I'm getting some things down without much thought.

Hitting clean with these sausage fingers is a major hurdle. They are used to tools and not banjos.
They don't wanna work like that! :ROFLMAO:
Hell, back of my bicep hurt this morning from a period of contorting my arm and wrist last night.

I was bad today though..😁 I went to get some better picks and well...
..My starter was a $200+(Amazon- ADM straight outta China I believe), so I said hmm..
It isn't bad, resonator back and all, but this sounds better!

Ibanez, one little chip in the finish on the neck right up at the side of the head knocked off a hundred putting it at 400.
View attachment 67510228

Marketplace? You aren’t in north Alabama are you? HBG saw an identical banjo on marketplace for $500.

Ibanez is always solid. I have 2. One of their exotic wood acoustic guitars. One Geo budget shredder. These go with my Luna 12-string, my Epiphone Les Paul, the Strat clone I built, my vintage 90’s Charvel, and my brand new Paul Reed Smith 24-08. Yeah. I have a sickness. Plus my 2 classicals. First was a $300 Lucero. But I have enjoyed classical so much I lost my brain for a minute and bought a $2300 Alhambra guitar from Spain. It’s was a nuts purchase but damn does it sound good.

Let me find you a couple of my favorites.

This is him covering my favorite Dylan song. I like what one of the comments said. “We pick the wrong people to be famous.”

Love this one, too. The guy in the back is just life, man. He’s high as balls. 😂

Dudes tearing it up, and the other guy is really diggin' it! :ROFLMAO:

Ibanez is always solid. I have 2. One of their exotic wood acoustic guitars. One Geo budget shredder. These go with my Luna 12-string, my Epiphone Les Paul, the Strat clone I built, my vintage 90’s Charvel, and my brand new Paul Reed Smith 24-08. Yeah. I have a sickness. Plus my 2 classicals. First was a $300 Lucero. But I have enjoyed classical so much I lost my brain for a minute and bought a $2300 Alhambra guitar from Spain. It’s was a nuts purchase but damn does it sound good.
I'm just trying to play banjo.:ROFLMAO:
My 'justified' purchases are presently tied up in telescopes.😁

Yeah he’s got his shoulder bag on like he’s ready to bounce, and doesn’t even have his shoes on. 😂😂
At first I thought a strap and was waiting on him to swing a banjo from his back all cool like.
But no, just feelin' real good..:ROFLMAO:

At first I thought a strap and was waiting on him to swing a banjo from his back all cool like.
But no, just feelin' real good..:ROFLMAO:

Reeeeeeeal good. 😂

You can tell this is before he got big, and it’s just a bunch of friends in their mom’s basement.

Well, been at it for a few about every night for a while, and finally got to where I can pretty well roll through 2 different pieces
(different 'rolls', etc) without much thought and getting some speed. Feels good!
But see kids like this(old video), and I don't know whether to feel inspired, or embarrassed. :ROFLMAO:

Nah, I've seen plenty of other youngins tearing it up on many things.
Practice, practice, ..

Edit: There is another one on his site, that the kid(12?) had only been at it 11 months and was inialating it. Would have to look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom