• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Father of Michigan school shooter found guilty of manslaughter weeks after mother’s conviction

Firearms were invented in China in the 11th Century.
Those weren't really practical weapons. The first practical gun was the matchlock arquebus, invented around 1480.

China is also far from the Germanic tribes (which developed the right of free people to keep and bear arms) and far from England (which passed that right on to the United States).

Your argument seems to be that a right (unexpressed in law) must exist for everyone who wants to use a weapon for personal purposes.
No. My argument is that this right does exist, and that it has been expressed in law for thousands of years now.

Only free people possess this right however. It doesn't apply to serfs and slaves.

Presumably that also includes automatic weapons, grenade launchers, flame throwers, and shoulder-mounted missile launchers.
If you want to enforce the true intent of the Second Amendment, yes.

But the Heller ruling only covers weapons that are suitable for private self defense. That is the significance of Scalia severing the militia from the right to keep and bear arms.

Those weren't really practical weapons. The first practical gun was the matchlock arquebus, invented around 1480.

China is also far from the Germanic tribes (which developed the right of free people to keep and bear arms) and far from England (which passed that right on to the United States).

No. My argument is that this right does exist, and that it has been expressed in law for thousands of years now.

Only free people possess this right however. It doesn't apply to serfs and slaves.

If you want to enforce the true intent of the Second Amendment, yes.

But the Heller ruling only covers weapons that are suitable for private self defense. That is the significance of Scalia severing the militia from the right to keep and bear arms.
I am curious about the extent that you think a firearm is somehow a right (but not a "natural" right) that all humans have and apparently had even before firearms were invented. I think you are confusing self-defense with firearm. Explain.

I am curious about the extent that you think a firearm is somehow a right
That term "somehow" does not bode well for your hopes for getting any further gun control passed. It is likely that we will have to block all future gun laws. Oh well.

(but not a "natural" right) that all humans have and apparently had even before firearms were invented.
Did you put the closing parenthesis in the wrong spot?

Or don't slaves and serfs count as humans?

What "the right to keep and bear arms" means is that people have the right to have arms, and you are not allowed to prevent people from having arms.

People are also allowed to use their arms in the defense of their homes and in target shooting competitions.

I think you are confusing self-defense with firearm.
I do not confuse things. I have a natural immunity to confusion.

This is just an opinion piece but I worry this philosophy is likely to be weaponized, and white parents like the ones in this case are not the most likely targets.
It already has been weaponized. That's how it was used against these parents in Michigan.

Of course it will be used against non-white parents as well. It would be racist to only use it against white parents.

Back
Top Bottom