• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have Irish ancestors?

Do you have Irish ancestors?

• Yes

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As it is Patrick.s Day, i am asking this.

Now ….

Now ….

After taking 3 different DNA tests with 3 different companies, my average breakdown is <3% Irish.

I'll bring a green mug, and wear green underwear for tonight's apartment crawl.

As an amateur genealogist I've traced my family line back a couple hundred years. If you go back 5 generations that's 32 ancestors. That goes back to the early 1800s well before the wave of Irish immigrants to the US in the 1840's

I only know about half of those 32 people, but as far as I can tell, none of them are Irish. On my dad's side the surnames are all English, Welsh and Scots.

On my mom's side it's all pure Dutch. Nothing else, certainly no Irish.

It's possible, though highly unlikely, there might be an Irish ancestor back 10 or 15 generations. At 15 generations there would be more than 32,000 ancestors. Impossible to confirm.

Tracing my ancestry it is a mixture of Scottish, Irish, and English, and several others in smaller percentages.

my ancestors all lived in the vicinity of Baden.Baden

Yeah, my paternal Grandmother's side. Last name Dugan (or Doogan), from Ó Dubhagáinn. Genealogy says they were Munster people for the past few centuries, but sometime around the Tudors part of them came in from England/Scotland. Traced back even farther and ended up with a guy who followed William from Normandy to England in 1066. No way to prove it, of course, too far back, but it's a nice story.

And who else?

As it is Patrick.s Day, i am asking this.

Maybe not specifically Irish, but definitely 20% Celtic/Gaelic DNA. Probably kidnapped from the British isles, as the remaining 80% is Nordic.

No!

There may be some black mixed in there 1000 years ago or so. I still identify as white, though...

Back
Top Bottom