• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Charter Schools Now Outperform Traditional Public Schools, Sweeping Study Finds

Could it be because Charter schools are getting better students to work with or maybe less problem students, and less discipline problems. Public schools have real issues with discipline, seems anything goes these days.
Actually, you are right. There's an entry process and testing for charter schools, at least there is in Florida. They have to pass an aptitude test and have no disciplinary issues.

Actually, you are right. There's an entry process and testing for charter schools, at least there is in Florida. They have to pass an aptitude test and have no disciplinary issues.

Basically what public schools wish they could do (and mightily try), but legally can’t.

Ah, the laziness of refusing to teach “the difficult”!

Basically what public schools wish they could do (and mightily try), but legally can’t.

Ah, the laziness of refusing to teach “the difficult”!
I don't think it's so much laziness as providing a better environment for kids who want to learn without the stresses of disruptive students. These schools are still part of the public school system.

I don't think it's so much laziness as providing a better environment for kids who want to learn without the stresses of disruptive students.
Then they can improve the public schools or spend their own money on private schools.

We worked that out a long time ago, before this voucher theft program.

Then they can improve the public schools or spend their own money on private schools.

We worked that out a long time ago, before this voucher theft program.
I disagree. Any child is welcomed to apply for enrollment in a charter school. I think it's a good thing.

I disagree. Any child is welcomed to apply for enrollment in a charter school. I think it's a good thing.
It's of course a terrible thing and will definitely lower our average education and standard of living. It's nothing but sweeping the problems of our education system under the rug and starving the schools of the funds they need not only to improve, but to persist.

And it's all a scam to get tax money to Jesus schools. The non religious charter schools are just incidental and opportunistic, for profit organizations.

and starving the schools of the funds they need not only to improve, but to persist.

Competition brings out the best in people. Maybe a little competition from a school system not in a Teachers Union chokehold could bring back the best of public schools.

Competition brings out the best in people.

You are trying gto apply the failed invisible hand argument to education. Well, surprise, ya lost that debate badly on all the evidence about 130 years ago.

Kick the likes of Randi Weingarten out of how schools operate and you get this:

This is the kind of post you get when post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy is the strongest argument you have.

Why does edweek.org have a "Policy and Politics" section?
Are they something other than a site about pedagogy?
Shirley, edweek.org are not a shill site for politicians and the donor class.
Right?

Competition brings out the best in people. Maybe a little competition from a school system not in a Teachers Union chokehold could bring back the best of public schools.

Inorite?

Look at Tonya Harding.
If Tonya Harding is not the essence of the argument that competition is dogmatically, solely, and categorically good in and of itself,
then who is?

I don't think it's so much laziness as providing a better environment for kids who want to learn without the stresses of disruptive students. These schools are still part of the public school system.

That’s an incidental side-effect. The primary reason is staff convenience.

You can also do that within a purely public system. Charter schools are not part of the of the public system, they are just siphoning funds from the public system.

Back
Top Bottom