• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Exclusive: Private letter from CIA chief undercuts claim torture was key to killing B

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Exclusive: Private letter from CIA chief undercuts claim torture was key to killing Bin Laden - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

Some of the detainees who provided useful information about the facilitator/courier’s role had been subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques. Whether those techniques were the “only timely and effective way” to obtain such information is a matter of debate and cannot be established definitively. What is definitive is that that information was only a part of multiple streams of intelligence that led us to Bin Ladin.

Let me further point out that we first learned about the facilitator/courier’s nom de guerre from a detainee not in CIA custody in 2002. It is also important to note that some detainees who were subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques attempted to provide false or misleading information about the facilitator/courier. These attempts to falsify the facilitator/courier’s role were alerting.

In the end, no detainee in CIA custody revealed the facilitator/courier’s full true name or specific whereabouts. This information was discovered through other intelligence means.

(emphasis mine)

I am very happy to hear that torture is not justified in this manner.

Last edited:
Re: Exclusive: Private letter from CIA chief undercuts claim torture was key to killi

Anything to keep your political ideology alive.

Yep, a letter from the CIA director is "anything"

Re: Exclusive: Private letter from CIA chief undercuts claim torture was key to killi

It is imperative that we somehow justify tor.. I mean "enhanced interrogation", it just has to be done! Oh, oh, here it is! We tor.. I mean subjected prisoners to enhanced interrogation, we finally got Bin Laden, therefore, it was the tor.. no no, enhanced interrogation that led to Bin Laden... what? ended when? Why, then, didn't they get Bin Laden years ago? But, but, if it didn't lead to Bin Laden, how can we ever justify tor... I mean enhanced interrogation?

Yep, a letter from the CIA director is "anything"

This letter is pure politics, it's the Administration trying to deflect any credit from the Bush administration. It's just crass red meat for the true believers. Oh look... I'll leave the thread so you guys can feed.

This letter is pure politics, it's the Administration trying to deflect any credit from the Bush administration. It's just crass red meat for the true believers. Oh look... I'll leave the thread so you guys can feed.

So you have resorted to making up a scenario?

Anything to keep your ideology alive.

So you have resorted to making up a scenario?

Anything to keep your ideology alive.

The irony is thick :lol:

Yea... Ive come to the conclusion that the "questionable interagtion techniques" (torture) did not lead us to Bin Laden..

While this won't end the debate on what waterboarding did and didn't do, it is nice to see that it looks like it played less of a role than what was previously thought.

Back
Top Bottom