• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Carlos Slim ranks as world's richest person for second year

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Carlos Slim ranks as world's richest person for second year | Reuters

And a huge gap this year. List is in the below link.

The World's Billionaires - Forbes.com

What I find interesting is the diversity in the top 10. But the US gained one spos from last year there and now have 4. Last year they had 3. Far gone when the US dominated the top 10. What I do find odd is no Chinese in the top 10 yet.. granted there is one at nr. 11.

Since when do lefties talk about admiring the rich?

If I were that rich I don't even know what I would do with myself. But congrats to Mr. Slim, the telecommunications is obviously a very wealthy industry if you can get near the top.

edit: I am also surprised to see only two from Europe.

Last edited:
If I were that rich I don't even know what I would do with myself. But congrats to Mr. Slim, the telecommunications is obviously a very wealthy industry if you can get near the top.

edit: I am also surprised to see only two from Europe.

The problem is forbes and the way they do reporting of billionaires and their net worth. For example, IKEA's founder. Forbes has him listed at just $6 billion since he uses a international web of trusts to avoid global taxation. Last autumn he was listed as having a fortune of $69 billion by a business magazine. A month ago some investigative journalists discovered he on top of that had some $15 billion in cash stashed away in Lichtenstein. I'm sure there are similar circumstances with a number of other individuals as well.

Sad that Bill Gates with 56 Billion has slipped to second place. I wonder how many millions Carlos Slim gave away in the last year. We know Bill an his wife give away a fortune every couple of months.

I remember when people made fun of him because he was such a geek. No one is laughing now.

The problem is forbes and the way they do reporting of billionaires and their net worth. For example, IKEA's founder. Forbes has him listed at just $6 billion since he uses a international web of trusts to avoid global taxation. Last autumn he was listed as having a fortune of $69 billion by a business magazine. A month ago some investigative journalists discovered he on top of that had some $15 billion in cash stashed away in Lichtenstein. I'm sure there are similar circumstances with a number of other individuals as well.

Yep. IKEA's founder is far far richer than the 6 billion Forbes puts him at.

The list is not perfect by any means, since it does not have royalty and such on. The Dutch Queen is suppose to massively rich and then there is the English Queen. Then there is of course the Gulf states.

Sad that Bill Gates with 56 Billion has slipped to second place. I wonder how many millions Carlos Slim gave away in the last year. We know Bill an his wife give away a fortune every couple of months.

I remember when people made fun of him because he was such a geek. No one is laughing now.

Eh, philantrophy is a crock.

What good comes from giving so much money away? Especially annoymous would be bette. But it is not being done like that by Bill. Which means he wants people to know its him. Maybe so that way they wont kidnap him, his wife or his children. But that would not stop ciminals.

Carlos Slim has given money away just not a lot. What do you expect from a criminal? He is the equivalent of a Russian oligarch except in Mexico there is not some dictator wannabe in power.

Back
Top Bottom