• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oxygen found on Saturn's moon Rhea

Solace

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think this is awesome, finally proof of oxygen on other worlds.

A spacecraft has tasted oxygen in the atmosphere of another world for the first time while flying low over Saturn's icy moon, Rhea.

Nasa's Cassini probe scooped oxygen from the thin atmosphere of the planet's moon while passing overhead at an altitude of 97km in March this year.

Until now, wisps of oxygen have only been detected on planets and their moons indirectly, using the Hubble space telescope and other major facilities.

Instruments aboard Cassini revealed an extremely thin oxygen and carbon dioxide atmosphere that is sustained by high-energy particles slamming into the moon's surface and kicking up atoms, molecules and ions.

Astronomers have counted 62 moons orbiting Saturn. At 1500km wide, Rhea is the second largest and is thought to be made almost entirely of ice.

Read More: Oxygen detected on Saturn's moon Rhea | Science | The Guardian

This is awesome. This is the best thing I've read on here all day. Puts other stuff into perspective.

leader.jpg

Talk about a vertical smile. Or is he going to talk out of his Arse.

This is awesome. This is the best thing I've read on here all day. Puts other stuff into perspective.

How does this put anything into perspective?

I'm sorry but it is marginally interesting but totally meaningless trivia and will never have any effect on us here, and the amount is so small as to be negligible that is you could stand up to the over 300 some odd degrees below zero you would use up all the oxygen in no time at all.

As to it proving oxygen exists out there: The atmosphere on Mars consists of 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, and 1.6% argon, and contains traces of oxygen, water, and methane.

Let's not get all goofy over this. It's not like E.T. could ever survive out there. But then there are living things at extreme pressures and temperatures in poison gases at the bottom of the sea.

The thing is try to maintain a little perspective on the reality.

Back
Top Bottom