• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate to confirm Kagan as court's 4th-ever woman

Chappy

User
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Excerpted from “Senate to confirm Kagan as court's 4th-ever woman” By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS (AP) – 36 minutes ago
[SIZE="+2"]H[/SIZE]er confirmation assured, Elena Kagan is on the brink of becoming the fourth woman ever to serve as a Supreme Court justice.

The Senate is set Thursday to confirm President Barack Obama's nominee, whose addition to the court will mark the first time three female justices have served concurrently. Nearly all Democrats, the Senate's two independents and a handful of Republicans are backing her.

The vote is to be one of the Senate's last actions before its members depart for a monthlong vacation. …

Bravo! Senate confirmation of Kagan's nomination to the Supreme Court is another important accomplishment by President Barack Obama.

gives shivers down my spine, at least she's replacing another liberal

Final vote was 63-37, not even close.

And another activist liberal sits on the highest court. I don't know which is worse, Kagan's inexperience or Sotomayor's incompetence...

And another activist liberal sits on the highest court. I don't know which is worse, Kagan's inexperience or Sotomayor's incompetence...

Look at the bright side --- now wonder twin powers can activate!!

Shape of a Code Pinko Nut job! Form of liquid ignorance! We're so much better of a country now....:vomit:

The fith vote against the 1st and 2nd Amendments. Trully scary.

Final vote was 63-37, not even close.

it would have been 99-0 if the dems hadn't played games with Bork, Thomas, Roberts and Alito

it was the dems who started this partisan nonsense

no matter what anyone says, there is no argument that Roberts and Alito were far more qualified than Kagan. Yet the puke Obama and many other dems voted against those two.

which is why I said under the 1985 standard Kagan was clearly qualified but under the 2005 standard she was not.

Its Obamas inexperience and incompetence.

it would have been 99-0 if the dems hadn't played games with Bork, Thomas, Roberts and Alito

it was the dems who started this partisan nonsense

no matter what anyone says, there is no argument that Roberts and Alito were far more qualified than Kagan. Yet the puke Obama and many other dems voted against those two.

which is why I said under the 1985 standard Kagan was clearly qualified but under the 2005 standard she was not.

I love how some conservatives always blame others for their actions.

I love how some conservatives always blame others for their actions.

so after Obama voted against a guy who not only had been a judge but was rated by all the relevant sources as one of the top 3 or 4 supreme court advocates in the country, a guy that was rated as one of the top ten minds to attend HLS in the decade, the GOP should have voted for somone who had O judicial experience and less than 2 years of supreme court practice?

I prefer how Liberals never take responsibility for their own.

or they hold others to standards they refuse to meet or even try to approach

You can't get much more activist than the Roberts court that ruled in the Citizens United case. Multinational corportations can spend vast amounts cash to influence elections. Fascism is coming to American...

You can't get much more activist than the Roberts court that ruled in the Citizens United case. Multinational corportations can spend vast amounts cash to influence elections. Fascism is coming to American...

OH THE DRAMA.

fascism would be the dems telling people they cannot spend their money the way they want.

there was no constitutional authority for the federal government to tell a corporation how it spends its money

Really this should be a celebration. Women are finally taking their proper place in American society as full and equal participants in our governance. It's about time!

Really this should be a celebration. Women are finally taking their proper place in American society as full and equal participants in our governance. It's about time!

So you admit they were chosen because they sit to pee not for their qualifications... well at least you are honest.

or they hold others to standards they refuse to meet or even try to approach

Why, I have not held any one to any standard in this thread. You on the other hand, have blamed liberals for what conservatives did.

Why, I have not held any one to any standard in this thread. You on the other hand, have blamed liberals for what conservatives did.

I am not blaming them-I am noting that the dems changed the standards and the GOP went along with the new standards.

Kagan is probably smart enough to be a USSC justice but with so many other liberals with so much more experience (if he had to have a Jewish lesbian he could have picked Pam Karlan-she's smarter, more experienced, and more respected) or intelligent (Akhil Reed Amar-Sterling Professor at Yale, currently considered the pre-eminent constitutional academic in the world).

I am not blaming them-I am noting that the dems changed the standards and the GOP went along with the new standards.

Your are not blaming them, you are just blaming them. Got it.

Bravo! Senate confirmation of Kagan's nomination to the Supreme Court is another important accomplishment by President Barack Obama.

It means absolutely nothing...One liberal replacing another... It may actually hurt since Stevens was the senior liberal on the court........

Your are not blaming them, you are just blaming them. Got it.

your evasions and diversions are funny

do you admit or deny that it was the dems who started the game of voting against people who were qualified because they didn't like the candidate's politics.

do you admit or deny that John Roberts was clearly well qualified-based in experience, education and honesty to be a USSC justice yet many dems voted against him based on their view he would be a "conservative" justice.

your evasions and diversions are funny

do you admit or deny that it was the dems who started the game of voting against people who were qualified because they didn't like the candidate's politics.

do you admit or deny that John Roberts was clearly well qualified-based in experience, education and honesty to be a USSC justice yet many dems voted against him based on their view he would be a "conservative" justice.

I do not know where it started actually.

I do agree Roberts was qualified.

I also know that you are blaming others for the actions of the current republicans.

I can see how that would bother you but it only levels the playing field when you figure the dems have the unions in their back pocket.......

I do not know where it started actually.

I do agree Roberts was qualified.

I also know that you are blaming others for the actions of the current republicans.

the current republicans did the right thing.

they voted against a person who was far less qualified than Roberts and Alito. Since the people who proposed Kagan voted against Roberts and Alito the GOP were correct to vote against a far less qualifed person

So you admit they were chosen because they sit to pee not for their qualifications... well at least you are honest.

I hope they don't have to make any decision when they are flying Bravo....:)

Back
Top Bottom