• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you ever lost out on a job due to illegal immigrants?

• Yes I have, explain please

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No I haven't

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No I haven't but I have seen others lose their jobs because of illegal immigrants

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • other

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Der taking our jobs!!!

I have yet to see this honestly..I suppose if you were looking to be a maid or fruit picker.

Der taking our jobs!!!

I have yet to see this honestly..I suppose if you were looking to be a maid or fruit picker.

I have had to turn down some opportunities because the specific job sectors didn't pay enough, largely because they were populated by illegal immigrants.

12 hour days, making approximately minimum wage, isn't good pay for eviscerating chickens.

yeah I don't blame you for not taking that job. I'd have to see much more than minnimum wage to slaughter chickens.

yeah I don't blame you for not taking that job. I'd have to see much more than minnimum wage to slaughter chickens.

They are already slaughtered but the job entailed cleaning and processing chicken carcasses.
Around here the processing plants pay minimum wage for cleaning and about a dollar more for servicing the scald tank.

Not worth it for a resident but it is for those who live in group housing, basically illegal aliens.

Der taking our jobs!!!

They broke my jaw! lol

How would someone actually know that they lost their job (or didn't get a job) due to illegal immigrants? Not like it's something a boss would be shouting to the world.

They broke my jaw! lol

How would someone actually know that they lost their job (or didn't get a job) due to illegal immigrants? Not like it's something a boss would be shouting to the world.

It can be pretty implicit sometimes.

For instance a lot of the bigger welding companies around here laid off their workforce when the recession hit.
Now they only seem to hire Hispanic people.
Very telling, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Der taking our jobs!!!

Sure make fun of those who have lost their jobs to illegals. Hopefully you didn't pick a useless degree or one that the labor market is overflowing with

I have yet to see this honestly.
I know since Oklahoma enacted its HB 1804 no one has had to worry about illegals taking their jobs.

I suppose if you were looking to be a maid or fruit picker.
There is also construction, landscaping,janitorial, factory work, cook and various other jobs.

Not that I am aware of-it is hard to be a licensed attorney in most states and not be legally in the USA.

No. My husband used to do roofing and framing, and while he didn't lose out on jobs due to illegal immigrants, he did mention several times that wages for such work were kept low because so many illegal immigrants- including many who were skilled, experienced workers- were willing to work so cheap.
He sometimes had difficulty understanding things, too, because some of the crews he worked on only spoke spanish.
Who hasn't had this difficulty in our border state?
The solution is to learn enough spanish to communicate with others in your workplace, and he and I have both done that. Problem solved.

Ultimately, my husband and I both moved- despite our lack of education (he doesn't even have a GED!)- into more skilled and specialized jobs, where illegal immigrants cannot follow, at least not without work visas.
I do not begrudge them the miserable jobs we left behind- framing in 100 degree heat; cooking in restaurant kitchens.
As white people and United States citizens, my husband and I had the ability to use those terrible jobs as springboards to better things.
Those poor immigrants will remain there and work those jobs until their bodies wear out.
They can never hope for anything better.

Sure make fun of those who have lost their jobs to illegals. Hopefully you didn't pick a useless degree or one that the labor market is overflowing with

I know since Oklahoma enacted its HB 1804 no one has had to worry about illegals taking their jobs.

There is also construction, landscaping,janitorial, factory work, cook and various other jobs.

where I live used to be farmland-now its your basic one or half acre subdivisions in the 225-850K range depending on the whim of the builders. My wife used to run a sport specific retail shop and next to us was a convenience store and every morning the mexican framers, bricklayers and roofers would be in there buying a few slices of pizza etc for lunch. Were they legal or no> no idea but one of the guys who ran the shop with my wife ran a small roofing business as well as contracting for one of the bigger roofing and Home improvement companies and he said illegals were all over the SW ohio roofing trade

Since the only "job" I've actually had or applied for was the Navy, it's pretty hard to lose the job to an illegal immigrant.

That being said, I do know of at least one specific job where an illegal immigrant was using a stolen identity for the job. He was a little stupid about though. The guy whose identity he stole was working as a security guard for the assisted living center where the illegal immigrant was working in the kitchen. It didn't take too long for some of the center's staff to actually ask questions, which turned up the illegal immigrant. The security guard had no idea until he was informed by his employer (the center contracted guards through another company). I know this story because my husband was a security guard there too, and the guy whose identity was stolen was his buddy. This happened in the last year.

obvious child said:
Nope. But I have lost work to Indians. In India.

Unionize. Frankly I'm tired of tech support with accents so thick you have to say "what?" every other sentence.

don't get your panties in a bunch, It's a reference from a South Park episode.

being self-employed has it's perks, doesn't it?

That doesn't mean people haven't been unable to find work because some illegal criminal alien is filling a job.

Let's ditch the bogus argument that these invaders are filling jobs "Americans won't do". We all know that's nonsense, and it also violates basic economics.

If employers can't find some to do a job at the wage they're offereing, they offer more money to increase the incentive. That's how it works.

If people weren't paid to sit on their lazy asses to watch the Messiah on The View with money stolen from working taxpayers, there'd be more native Americans with the skills needed to pick strawberries out there looking for work, and there would certainly be no need for the illegal importation of hordes of invaders from Mexico.

People do not have a right to live off money stolen from others, and invaders do not have a right to be in this country taking jobs from Americans.

It really is that simple.

Last edited:
don't get your panties in a bunch, It's a reference from a South Park episode.

It was meant to poke at the opposition pissed about losing their jobs in that episode. I watch southpark as well.

I have had to turn down some opportunities because the specific job sectors didn't pay enough, largely because they were populated by illegal immigrants.

12 hour days, making approximately minimum wage, isn't good pay for eviscerating chickens.

How much do you expect to get paid for a job where you require no training and a person with a 5th grade education could do efficiently? This is what kills me about the argument that immigrants are taking your jobs. If we didn't have illegal immigrants and you lost your job to some 16 year old would you then argue we should kick them all out? If you lost it to ghetto rat from Brooklyn would you say we need to kick the poor out? There will always be somebody willing to do things cheaper than you. And if they won't do it? Somebody else will. It's one of the downsides of the free market. Unless your job requires education, skill etc, somebody else will do it for far less money than you will.

Last edited:
Der taking our jobs!!!

Ah - right - because harvester and housekeeping are *all* that they do?

As if people know *why* they weren't hired for a job or something - countless businesses (large and small) have been raided for hiring illegals, lost their licenses or worse over the last decade - Walmart being just one of them. . . discount retail outlets, restaurants, factories and processing plants - all of these come to mind when I hear about raids and trials.

Illegals find employment under anyone who *wants to save money*

They, not being citizens, work for crap wages . . . saving huge amounts of money for the boss (contractors, restaurant owners, etc)
They, also, don't have to pay *any* kind of benefits - no 401K, no health care, no insurance of any type, no overtime . . . nothing.

An employer needs to pay the illegals *just barely enough* to keep them coming back to work.

So anytime you find an employer of any scale (small business, construction or retail giant) who *really really* wants to save some $$ - you'll find illegals being given employment.

Hatuey pretty much hit upon it. Welcome to the wild, wild world of capitalism. It's free market, where the survival is still of the fittest.

This is what happens when America thinks they're entitled to everything, including jobs. But instead of becoming more competitive, we just bitch. It's Japan in the late 80s all over again. America doesn't want to get leaner and meaner, so they brainwash people into hyper-protectionism and villify people for buying something cheaper and better because it's produced overseas.

Personally, I welcome it to an extent. Instead of having some lazy piece of crap whine about how he can do the most basic of jobs for minimum wage, Hector will do it for half the price, with a huge grin on his face, and the respect of saying "si, senor". Sorry, I don't have a tilde on this keyboard.

Hector embraces the system, so why can't we?

Hatuey pretty much hit upon it. Welcome to the wild, wild world of capitalism. It's free market, where the survival is still of the fittest.

This is what happens when America thinks they're entitled to everything, including jobs. But instead of becoming more competitive, we just bitch. It's Japan in the late 80s all over again. America doesn't want to get leaner and meaner, so they brainwash people into hyper-protectionism and villify people for buying something cheaper and better because it's produced overseas.

Personally, I welcome it to an extent. Instead of having some lazy piece of crap whine about how he can do the most basic of jobs for minimum wage, Hector will do it for half the price, with a huge grin on his face, and the respect of saying "si, senor". Sorry, I don't have a tilde on this keyboard.

Hector embraces the system, so why can't we?
If Hector is here illegally then he has no right embracing capitalism in the US.

Much of that is the fault of the US. It's the same protectionism I mentioned earlier that happened 20-25 years ago. By keeping illegals COMPLETELY out, we drive up prices on goods because costs (specifically labor) are passed on to the ultimate consumer. Now, do I think we should open the flood gates and let them all come over? Hell no, that would be idiocy. However, a good chunk of them over here is very beneficial.

The problem I have is when illegals come over here and milk the system in the form of public funds, assistance programs, and generally wasting tax dollars. If you had every illegal over here do three things, I would not only have nothing negative about it, but I'd wholly encourage it - and those are speak English, pay taxes, and don't abuse the system.

Hell, I get pissed enough when our OWN people leech. Maybe we can make an even trade with Mexico. They can send us up the hard workers who will respect the system, and we can send them unwed welfare mothers, and crack hos.

If you ask me, we'd make out like bandits.

Der taking our jobs!!!

You have to be one of the most mature members on this forum. Your incessant picking at people who disagree with you is quite just. I really like it when you go on to actually poke fun at those who are losing their jobs or job opputunities to people who can't be bothered to follow our laws.

Thank you for your consistant maturity. Keep up the good work.

Much of that is the fault of the US. It's the same protectionism I mentioned earlier that happened 20-25 years ago. By keeping illegals COMPLETELY out, we drive up prices on goods because costs (specifically labor) are passed on to the ultimate consumer..

The "Price of Tomatoes will skyrocket" is a favorite argument of pro-illegals next to lies of racism, xenophobia or anti-immigration.

The Seattle Times: Local News: Low-paid illegal work force has little impact on prices
2003257249.gif

More than 7 million illegal immigrants work in the United States. They build houses, pick crops, slaughter cattle, stitch clothes, mow lawns, clean hotel rooms, cook restaurant meals and wash the dishes that come back.

You might assume that the plentiful supply of low-wage illegal workers would translate into significantly lower prices for the goods and services they produce. In fact, their impact on consumer prices — call it the "illegal-worker discount" — is surprisingly small.

The bag of Washington state apples you bought last weekend? Probably a few cents cheaper than it otherwise would have been, economists estimate. That steak dinner at a downtown restaurant? Maybe a buck off. Your new house in Subdivision Estates? Hard to say, but perhaps a few thousand dollars less expensive.

The underlying reason, economists say, is that for most goods the labor — whether legal or illegal, native- or foreign-born — represents only a sliver of the retail price.

Consider those apples — Washington's signature contribution to the American food basket.

At a local QFC, Red Delicious apples go for about 99 cents a pound. Of that, only about 7 cents represents the cost of labor, said Tom Schotzko, a recently retired extension economist at Washington State University. The rest represents the grower's other expenses, warehousing and shipping fees, and the retailer's markup.

And that's for one of the most labor-intensive crops in the state: It takes 150 to 190 hours of labor to grow and harvest an acre of apples, Schotzko said, compared to four hours for an acre of potatoes and 1 ½ hours for an acre of wheat.

Back
Top Bottom