• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you really believe that Obama doesn't know how to work technology?

Do you really think Obama doesn't know how to work technology?

• Yes

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Of course not. He was stretching the truth for laughs.

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Of course not. He was flat out lying.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
When did he turn into an old man that doesn't know technology?

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter."

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation."
- Obama

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter."

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation."
- Obama
fishing again?

I've never used any of those things either, so the same applies to me, I guess.

Obama is known for his blackberry, though, so he's not completely computer illiterate; I'm sure he could learn all those things easily enough ... as could I. But that doesn't make his statement a lie.

The correct poll option should be: Mellie didn't understand Obama's statement.

- Obama
I think you misinterpreted (seemingly intentionally) this statement.

Hell, I'm much younger than Obama and I don't know how to work an iPod - probably cause I've never owned one.

And yet I work in a IT-related job.

please....mellie knew quite well what obama meant.

I am giving her the benefit of the doubt because I am not sure she actually did. I guess I question her comprehension of things at times.

What kind of silly thread is this. He was joking.

I don't like President Obama's politics, but I do feel he is a smart and fairly honest man.

This is nothing but partisan hackery.

Not completely unbelievable.

Personally, I DO know how to you and IPod...but I have no idea how an Ipad works, I can't stand Imacs, I don't know how to use a playstation, and Xbox.
I can't even make my DVD player work. I probably could if I took the time to figure it out, but its not that important to me. I only watch movies with my spouse or I watch them on my computer.

He's slightly older than me, which means that he'll be turning to his kids for assistance on a regular basis. I'm more technologically adept than most of my peers, fwiw.

That would be still. Seems to be almost a religion to some.

Well, you know, she is from the Galilean Fishing Posse.

p.s. In the future, could you provide poll selections that are less impacted by your personal biases, Mel?

Last edited:
I've never used any of those things either, so the same applies to me, I guess.

Obama is known for his blackberry, though, so he's not completely computer illiterate; I'm sure he could learn all those things easily enough ... as could I. But that doesn't make his statement a lie.

I would have to have the techs at my company set up my blackberry. It's not that I'm not smart enough to figure it out, it's that it's not high on my list of priorities, and that's what they're paid for. I-pods are pretty damn easy, though. They're basically plug & play.

Just for a point of reference, I am 4 years younger than him, and I struggle at times with the new technology. I have only had a cell phone for about a year, and my brother still has to show me tricks on using it. Ipad, Ipod, I barely even know what they are.

Only engineers and computer programers understand today's technology, definitely nor politicians.

Not really. Understanding how to operate a device like an phone or music player is mostly a matter of just spending a little time figuring it out. I don't understand why older folks often seem incapable of doing simple things to learn about their devices like reading the manual or doing a google search.

Not really. Understanding how to operate a device like an phone or music player is mostly a matter of just spending a little time figuring it out. I don't understand why older folks often seem incapable of doing simple things to learn about their devices like reading the manual or doing a google search.

I think it is because it is like learning a new language. However, instead of words and grammar, you have icons and other forms of interaction with the device.

One of the reasons I am good at my job in IT is not that I know a lot of stuff, but I can think in "computerese" and figure out UIs pretty quickly and from that surmise the internal structure of a given piece of software. But this is a learned skill I think.

I think it is because it is like learning a new language. However, instead of words and grammar, you have icons and other forms of interaction with the device.

One of the reasons I am good at my job in IT is not that I know a lot of stuff, but I can think in "computerese" and figure out UIs pretty quickly and from that surmise the internal structure of a given piece of software. But this is a learned skill I think.

Oh man after grad school it took me another whole another relearning to not speak in art speak.

How the hell would we know?

And who the hell cares, anyway? I've given this question my 2 minutes worth of attention, which is about 1 minute 59 seconds too long.

I think you misinterpreted (seemingly intentionally) this statement.

Hell, I'm much younger than Obama and I don't know how to work an iPod - probably cause I've never owned one.

And yet I work in a IT-related job.

Um....how do you know if I misinterpreted it if you don't even know what I think about it?

Um....how do you know if I misinterpreted it if you don't even know what I think about it?
I don't.
Which is why I said I think you misinterpreted it.

As in, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom