• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama welcomes Senate breakthrough on finance bill

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
QUINCY, Ill. — President Barack Obama says he's pleased that Senate Republicans are agreeing to allow debate on a financial overhaul bill after days of stalling tactics.

Obama told a crowd in Illinois Wednesday that the bill will end bailouts, make banks accountable to consumers and bring complex Wall Street deals into the light of day.

He spoke shortly after news broke in Washington that Republicans would end a filibuster of the legislation and let debate go forward.

Obama said the legislation would ensure that taxpayers aren't on the hook ever again for Wall Street mistakes.

The president said: "The time for reform is now."

Obama was finishing up the second day of a two-day Midwest tour.

The real story here is the Democrats' usage of the Kentucky Derby tactic, that would have forced Republicans to have a real filibuster, thus keeping the Senate in session during the Kentucky Derby, which McConnell would have missed. But don't believe for a minute that the Democrats are the good guys here. They did this only for political value, and many of them are in the pockets of the banksters themselves.

Anyways, thank you GOP for letting debate proceed on the bill. Abuse by financial institutions is something that Republicans and Democrats BOTH want to end. Now we can have debate, and Republicans can offer amendments, but they had better not be amendments to weaken the bill. Same with Democrats, who have Goldman-Sachs in their own pockets. This is about America, and not personal gain. Any Senator, Democrat or Republican, who thinks otherwise had better think twice. The American people are sick of this crap, and I hope they are ready to unelect ALL the bums they can who seek to use this issue to line their own pockets. A D or an R should not be the factor that makes you want to support a politician, but actions, and actions only. Talk is cheap, and the American people are fed up.

To the politicians - Crap or get off the pot. Now is the time to show your true colors.

Article is here.

Last edited:
I don't know why you're saying both parties want abuse by financial institutions to end.

They don't.

They want to control the abuses to favor their interests, not the other party. Since Goldman-Sachs has numerous moles in the Messiah's Administration, the chances of any banking legislation under this Congress being beneficial for your average wage earner is a figure close to, but not less than, zero.

I don't know why you're saying both parties want abuse by financial institutions to end.

They don't.

They want to control the abuses to favor their interests, not the other party. Since Goldman-Sachs has numerous moles in the Messiah's Administration, the chances of any banking legislation under this Congress being beneficial for your average wage earner is a figure close to, but not less than, zero.

I disagree. Both parties want it to end because the American people are on to it, and it is making them both look bad.

I disagree. Both parties want it to end because the American people are on to it, and it is making them both look bad.

If the politicians cared what the American people wanted, the great state of Arizona wouldn't have had to pass a law making it illegal to be an illegal alien in Arizona.

No offense, but you need to go to your doctor and get your sinecal gland checked.

I would like to see hedge funds and 'puts' removed from the Wall Street markets.

The market is a huge section of the US economy, not a crap table.

The real story here is the Democrats' usage of the Kentucky Derby tactic,

Really. That's the story here? Not what's happening with an important piece of legislation? The fact that some guy *gasp* missed the Kentucky Derby?

Sorry guys. Sometimes your job involves missing sporting events. That's why God invented Tivo.

I would like to see hedge funds and 'puts' removed from the Wall Street markets.

The market is a huge section of the US economy, not a crap table.

You want an end to the commodities markets?

Will we be able to read the bill first?

Back
Top Bottom