• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does it matter if we a christian nation?

Does it matter if we a christian nation?

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
In your opinion, if we were designated to be a Christian Nation, would this necessitate any changes in our laws, constitution, or how they are interpreted?

Last edited:
being a christian nation brings with it the implication of following biblical law, which would change laws, plus you'd have to change the contitution to get rid of freedom of religion, and seperation of church and state, so i imagine some rather drastic changes.

I believe that we are already called a Christian nation, so no, nothing would change in the laws and governing principals. Especially since we practice a separation of Church and State.

If you are referring to letting the Christian (much divided) church run the government, that's just silly. We weren't brought up that way.

We are a christian nation(For now...) so maybe just a little would change. But I believe it would have a big impact for the better.

Clarification: by designation of a Christian nation, I am referring to something like a resolution with the text "we are a christian nation" passed by both houses and signed by the president.

Last edited:
We are a christian nation(For now...) so maybe just a little would change. But I believe it would have a big impact for the better.

you're a christian society, but a secular nation, there's a difference there

The answers "yes" or "no" could be given to both a positive or negative response. I could answer yes, it matters as a bad policy, or no it doesn't matter as a good policy. Or vice versa.

Just because a majority of people belong to a certain group doesn't make us a certain type of nation, any more than it would make us a "male" nation or a "white" nation. It doesn't make that particular group special.

Imo, not at all a change for the better. The word "theocracy" comes to mind. That's what a nation primarily idenitying with any religion runs the risk of becoming. I have no problem with the majority of citizens being Christian, but I do have a problem with national identity being Christian or any other religion.

Why the hell would it matter? So what if most people are Christian, the government is secular no matter what.

Why the hell would it matter? So what if most people are Christian, the government is secular no matter what.

That is my thought on the subject, yet some people are arguing like crazy for this particular designation. If it doesn't change anything than why would it matter and if it does change something, what would that be?

That is my thought on the subject, yet some people are arguing like crazy for this particular designation. If it doesn't change anything than why would it matter and if it does change something, what would that be?

I think the thing it impacts most is ego. And some jerks who wouldn't mind seeing America a theocracy; but they're loons.

being a christian nation brings with it the implication of following biblical law, which would change laws, plus you'd have to change the contitution to get rid of freedom of religion, and seperation of church and state, so i imagine some rather drastic changes.
Its much better that we remain a secular nation with strong Christian leanings..Originally, "freedom of religion" was just Protestant - Catholic -Jewish. Others were not even considered....the times were a lot simpler back then.
Note how few words were used in the original Constitution..
There is and never has been a true "separation of state and church". But, what we have now works quite well..
A man could say that we are a "christian" nation, but not a "Christian" nation.
I hope this never happens, it would be horrible.

No. The only thing that matters is that we obey the Constitution and especially the 1st Amendment in the case of this question.

Don't the Jews control the financial sector of this country? If so shouldn't this be a Jewish Nation.

We only have to look at other nations that are not secular states to see what might happen were the US to become a Christian nation.

In many of the Islamic Republics, you have to be Islamic to own property and have full citizenship. A logical outcome, then would be that only Christians would be allowed to vote and have full citizenship rights.

In some of the Christian nations south of the border, the Catholic church dictates what is and is not allowed. Birth control and abortion are not legal in such nations. It follows that if we were to become a Christian nation, the church would be able to outlaw the same things here.

Of course, the question remains as to which Christian sect would be aligned with the new government. Would we be a Catholic country, like Mexico, or something new? Would the US be an evangelical nation, a protestant nation, or what? There is a vast difference between the core beliefs of Southern Baptists and Episcopalians, for example. We'd have to choose one sect to follow.

Last edited:
Don't the Jews control the financial sector of this country? If so shouldn't this be a Jewish Nation.

Serge Nilus, is that you?

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protocols_of_the_Elders_of_Zion[/ame]

In your opinion, if we were designated to be a Christian Nation, would this necessitate any changes in our laws, constitution, or how they are interpreted?

History shows that legislating morality and legislating theocratic law leads to a massively authoritarian state apparatus

This isn't hate speech, but it is idiotic.

Last edited:
Some people need a super power to believe in during times of stress and indecision. Christainity is the most convenient. It saved my oldest daughter's life, so it could save others. Desperation is the key word, if you need a fantasy figure to believe in, go for it.

ricksfolly

Just like calling the US a Christian nation is idiotic.

So you make idiotic statements just because others do? How intelligent. :roll:

So you make idiotic statements just because others do? How intelligent. :roll:

Do you know what sarcasm is? Maybe if you were intelligent, you would.
My statement was sarcasm.

Do you know what sarcasm is? Maybe if you were intelligent, you would.

I do know. You were obviously being sarcastic. Perhaps I was as well, genius. :doh

I doubt it would change much. If anything, it might even make us less religious. I read an interesting article years ago about how state-sponsored religion in Europe has lead to a less religious populace. Even religion benefits from competition.

Back
Top Bottom