• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pet shop owner fined £1,000 and told to wear an electronic tag... for selling a GOLD

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Her offence was to unwittingly sell a goldfish to a 14-year-old boy taking part in a trading standards 'sting'.

At most, pet shop owner Joan Higgins, 66, expected a slap on the wrist for breaking new animal welfare laws which ban the sale of pets to under-16s.

Instead, the great-grandmother was taken to court, fined £1,000, placed under curfew - and ordered to wear an electronic tag for two months.

The punishment is normally handed out to violent thugs and repeat offenders.

The prosecution of Mrs Higgins and her son Mark is estimated to have cost taxpayers £20,000 and has left her with a criminal record.
Pet shop owner who sold goldfish to boy hauled before court and ordered to wear electronic tag | Mail Online

More proof western civilization is in decline.

Re: Pet shop owner fined £1,000 and told to wear an electronic tag... for selling a G

....did anyone point out that it's a ****ing goldfish? It's not like it's a dog or anything. It's a stupid ass fish. And why can't a 14 year old buy one? England is getting a bit out of hand with it's big brother tactics.

Re: Pet shop owner fined £1,000 and told to wear an electronic tag... for selling a G

:doh This is so moronic. That much over selling a goldfish to a 14 year old? What about people that buy cheap goldfish to feed to their bigger fish? I can't (actually I can) believe that the UK has a law like this. Seriously, charge granny for selling a mindless fish to a 14 year old...

Not surprisingly, there is more to the story.

Mrs Higgins and her son were charged with selling the fish to a person aged under 16 and with causing unnecessary suffering to a cockatiel by failing to provide appropriate care and treatment....

Pleading guilty, Mrs Higgins told Trafford magistrates the cockatiel had not been for sale and she had been bathing its eye daily.

She had intended to take it to the vet but had been distracted and worried because her other son was in hospital.

I would go so far as to suspect that there is even more to the story not reported on.

I would go so far as to suspect that there is even more to the story not reported on.

It's a ****ing bird.

It's a ****ing bird.

Which has not a ****ing thing to do with what I said.

Which has not a ****ing thing to do with what I said.

Sure it does.

So a pet shop had a sick bird and sold a goldfish to a 14 year old! And they didn't give out "how to keep your new friend" pamplets.

Pathetic is what I call this.

Jumping to conclusions based on incomplete evidence is what I call it.

There is not more to the story. The charges are for the goldfish only.
It's just reported that the bird had the eye problem but also be broken leg. It was not for sale.
But there are no charges for cruelty . Just the goldfish. It's this severity of the charges that is ridiculous.
The article also shows lesser charges for greater crimes.
They need better guidelines for the judges apparently.
from same article

Attachments

• article-1262250-08EFDF35000005DC-391_468x344.jpg
    article-1262250-08EFDF35000005DC-391_468x344.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 4

The law says you can't sell pets to people under 16 because they can't be expected to take care of a pet properly on their own, so the kids need parental permission. The law applies to all pets, not just the cute fuzzy ones. "It's not like it's a dog!" So what?

He broke the law. Got the fine. Not sure what the tag is about but I'm not familiar with the laws over there.

He broke the law. Got the fine. Not sure what the tag is about but I'm not familiar with the laws over there.

It's usually given in lieu of a custodial sentence or as terms of a remand order (bail). Or to enforce a curfew on minors charged with certain anti-social offences.

It's just reported that the bird had the eye problem but also be broken leg. It was not for sale.
But there are no charges for cruelty . Just the goldfish. It's this severity of the charges that is ridiculous.
from same article

Really? So the article lied? You can prove this, with, I dunno, some sort of evidence?

Gee, the prgressives fo teh forum have no problem with sort of heavy handed government action, shocking? No, no not at all.

Gee, the prgressives fo teh forum have no problem with sort of heavy handed government action, shocking? No, no not at all.

Unless of course the heavy handedness was implemented by the "other" political party - then it's fascist man, just fascist.

....did anyone point out that it's a ****ing goldfish? It's not like it's a dog or anything. It's a stupid ass fish. And why can't a 14 year old buy one? England is getting a bit out of hand with it's big brother tactics.

Never fear.... we will catch up with then soon.

Bull****. Saying that there is more to the story than we have is not saying anything other than just that. Or to put it another way:

Gee, the conservatives on this forum have no problem with jumping to conclusions based on only reading part of an article and incomplete information.

Sure it does.

So a pet shop had a sick bird and sold a goldfish to a 14 year old! And they didn't give out "how to keep your new friend" pamplets.

Pathetic is what I call this.
So if someone comes by, steals your dog, tortures it for giggles, then kills it, should we write it up as theft or cruelty to animals?

I mean, its a ****ing dog, right?

A 66-year-old great-grandmother? Huh.

A Conservative-run council has defended its decision to pursue legal action against a pet shop owner who was prosecuted for selling a goldfish to a child.

It later emerged that the shop, Majors Pets, had also, last May, sold a gerbil to a 14-year-old girl with learning difficulties who later that day put it in a cup of coffee, killing the animal, the council said.

It's just a goldfish, it's just a bird, it's just a gerbil. Sounds to me a good decision that these people shouldn't be in the animal business.

Really? So the article lied? You can prove this, with, I dunno, some sort of evidence?

No, the article said exactly what KOV03 posted. Maybe you should try reading more than the first paragraph.

So if someone comes by, steals your dog, tortures it for giggles, then kills it, should we write it up as theft or cruelty to animals?

I mean, its a ****ing dog, right?
Yes because that's EXACTLY the same as this situation...

:roll:

from same article

No, the article said exactly what KOV03 posted. Maybe you should try reading more than the first paragraph.

Actually, you should do the reading. From the linked article:

Mrs Higgins and her son were charged with selling the fish to a person aged under 16 and with causing unnecessary suffering to a cockatiel by failing to provide appropriate care and treatment.

So yes, in point of fact either the article is lying, or he is wrong.

Yes because that's EXACTLY the same as this situation...

:roll:

So what is the dividing line? When is it ok to mistreat animals, and when is it not?

Back
Top Bottom