• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama announces 15 recess appointments, scolds GOP

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
My Way News - Obama announces 15 recess appointments, scolds GOP

WASHINGTON (AP) - Fed up with waiting, President Barack Obama announced Saturday he would bypass a vacationing Senate and name 15 people to key administration jobs, wielding for the first time the blunt political tool known as the recess appointment.

Before anyone starts whining about what Obama did, consider this:

Both Republican and Democratic presidents have made recess appointments, which circumvents the Senate's authority to confirm nominees, when they could not overcome delays. President George W. Bush made more than 170 such appointments in his two-term presidency. President Bill Clinton made nearly 140.

From the linked story:

The 15 appointees to boards and agencies include the contentious choice of union lawyer Craig Becker to the National Labor Relations Board.

This was the big one, and repubs are pissed. Personally, I never had a problem with Bush doing recess appointments, and I don't have a problem now. The rules allow it.

This is pretty much S.O.P. and has been all along. the only thing in this round is the questionable appointment of Craig Becker to the National Labor Relations Board.

This guy will add to the problems businesses are facing now and will face in the near future as the Phony Health reform mess adds to the cost of doing business and the needless Cap & Trade nonsense raises the cost of every commodity sold in this Country.

It points once again to Obama's lack of concern about what he's doing proves that if he's not as anti-American as he looks then he is a total amateur, and a radical without a clue.

This is pretty much S.O.P. and has been all along. the only thing in this round is the questionable appointment of Craig Becker to the National Labor Relations Board.

This guy will add to the problems businesses are facing now and will face in the near future as the Phony Health reform mess adds to the cost of doing business and the needless Cap & Trade nonsense raises the cost of every commodity sold in this Country.

It points once again to Obama's lack of concern about what he's doing proves that if he's not as anti-American as he looks then he is a total amateur, and a radical without a clue.

That "amateur" handed your multi-decade career politician and his bubbleheaded bimbo running mate a very resounding thrashing.

And yet, you STILL haven't got a clue.

i challenge you to point out why craig becker does not deserve appointment to the NLRB
... your own perspective would be preferred, but if all you can muster are the republican talking points then post those

I have no problem with recess appointments. I just wonder, though, did you say the same thing when Bush did em? Based on thereaction from the left (and those in congress) I would assume probably not.

I did not like them under Bush, Clinton or now under Obama. I think you will find that most American are sick of gotya politics.

i challenge you to point out why craig becker does not deserve appointment to the NLRB

... your own perspective would be preferred, but if all you can muster are the republican talking points then post those

i have no talking points and i have no interest in your challenge

but senator ben nelson, democrat from nebraska, does

the 60th vote for health care, whose assent was purchased at the cost of the corrupt cornhusker kickback, said of the appointee:

“Mr. Becker’s previous statements strongly indicate that he would take an aggressive personal agenda to the NLRB and that he would pursue a personal agenda there, rather than that of the administration," Nelson said in a statement Monday. “This is of great concern, considering that the board’s main responsibility is to resolve labor disputes with an even and impartial hand."

Senate stops Craig Becker nomination - Meredith Shiner - POLITICO.com

now, i'm not sure if mr becker qualifies himself for the equally infamous SEIU EXEMPTION...

he was a highly energetic lawyer for this probably most influential and activist labor organization in the nation

but i suspect he's not an actual member, y'know

he'll probably have to pay the cadillac

like everyone else in his situation

nelson's not the only dem

putting mr becker at the nlrb is like appointing the uaw to settle disputes between labor and government motors

why, one could expect SPECIAL EXEMPTIONS for seiu's and seiu symps all over the place

a recess appointment is a sign of weakness, the prez can't get his guy thru upper house

hello

i have no talking points and i have no interest in your challenge

but senator ben nelson, democrat from nebraska, does

the 60th vote for health care, whose assent was purchased at the cost of the corrupt cornhusker kickback, said of the appointee:

Senate stops Craig Becker nomination - Meredith Shiner - POLITICO.com

now, i'm not sure if mr becker qualifies himself for the equally infamous SEIU EXEMPTION...

he was a highly energetic lawyer for this probably most influential and activist labor organization in the nation

but i suspect he's not an actual member, y'know

he'll probably have to pay the cadillac

like everyone else in his situation

nelson's not the only dem

putting mr becker at the nlrb is like appointing the uaw to settle disputes between labor and government motors

why, one could expect SPECIAL EXEMPTIONS for seiu's and seiu symps all over the place

a recess appointment is a sign of weakness, the prez can't get his guy thru upper house

hello

so, what you are saying is you have nothing
you are simply parroting the opinion of others, without any factual basis to justify such opposition to his appointment
no surprise

Funny, if I remember correctly, don't repub use a particular argument in these situations? I think it goes something like - why wouldn't you want the most experienced person in the position and the most experienced people come from the industry they need to regulate - ;)

so, what you are saying is you have nothing
you are simply parroting the opinion of others, without any factual basis to justify such opposition to his appointment
no surprise

tell it to ben nelson

\

Simply put he's pro-union and that makes him anti-business. But then he fits in with anti-American Obama.

how do you spell exemption?

s-e-i-u

LOL!

President Obama had to other rational recourse but to take this action.

Thank goodness! It's about time to get on with the business of governing.

the seiu got a sweetheart insider deal worth billions under this phony populist

just like phrma, just like aig, just like the uaw...

why can't he even pronounce the word "tort?"

i'll spell it for you: a-b-a

sf examiner's analysis of 15 firms on natl law journal's 2008 hot list shows 99% of campaign contributions go to dems

Trial lawyers seek return on contributions to Senate Democrats | San Francisco Examiner

how do you spell lobbyist?

a-a-j

sorry

recipients of aig contributions, 2008

1. Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., $103,100
2. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., $101,332
3. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., $59,499
4. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., $35,965
5. Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., $24,750
6. Former Gov. Mitt Romney, (R) Pres $20,850
7. Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., $19,975
8. Rep. John Larson, D-Conn, $19,750
9. Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H., $18,500
10. Former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (R) Pres $13,200
11. Rep. Paul Kanjorski, D-Pa., $12,000
12. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., $11,000

Will Obama, McCain, Dodd Return Contributions From AIG Employees? - ABC News

If they don't like the appointments, then they should have allowed a vote on them and voted against them.

It's not as if the President suddenly appointed someone without notice. All of these people had been on the waiting list, right? They were either voted on in committee and never sent to the floor or never got out of committee, I assume.

So you really cant answer a simple liberal question and just resort to this retort. Do you know every single union person yourself?

No you see, literally every "pro-union" person wants to destroy all business because that's good for workers. :rofl

\

Simply put he's pro-union and that makes him anti-business. But then he fits in with anti-American Obama.

There is nothing wrong with a union guy at the NLRB. They should understand the issues.

I don't have an issue with this in theory, though my one issue is one continually with Obama. He ran against "Business as usual" and "Politics as usual". He ran on "Change". He ran on "post partisanship". He ran on transparency and accountability. He ran one of, if not the most, rhetoric filled and focused campaigns in the past 30 years.

What he did was normal, washington politics and in that it doesn't offend my senses. But it again bothers me that the man essentially got elected on nothing but rhetoric, rhetoric that is greatly looking completely and utterly empty.

That "amateur" handed your multi-decade career politician and his bubbleheaded bimbo running mate a very resounding thrashing.

And yet, you STILL haven't got a clue.
touche.

10 char

Back
Top Bottom