• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Miracle Marijuana

Should Medical Marijuana Be Legal?

• Yes

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

jr602az

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
:2wave:

Please watch this Amazing Video
:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P33ajyiMdrk"]YouTube- MIRACLE MARIJUANA![/ame]

Wow marijuana really does kill memory cells...you just posted the same topic twice....

He got this one right.

129107509574066189.jpg

:2wave:

Please watch this Amazing Video
:)

YouTube- MIRACLE MARIJUANA!

No offense to you junkies but I do not buy the medical marijuana excuse. I think potheads couldn't win people over with the recreational marijuana so they made up the medicinal marijuana arguement as a back door to recreational usage. Watching that movie Super High Me( a marijuana version of Super Size Me) has only further convinced me of this. It seems like you can come up with any illness and claim that only pot can relieve that pain and some quack doctor will write you a prescription for it.

Last edited:
No offense to you junkies

Free clue: cannabis is not addictive.

but I do not buy the medical marijuana excuse. I think potheads couldn't win people over with the recreational marijuana so they made up the medicinal marijuana arguement as a back door to recreational usage.

Ah, an opinion based on ignorance.

Watching that movie Super High Me( a marijuana version of Super Size Me) has only further convinced me of this. It seems like you can come up with any illness and claim that only pot can relieve that pain and some quack doctor will write you a prescription for it.

The same thing can be said for just about any drug.

Free clue: cannabis is not addictive.

Maybe because of the damage it does to brain cells you forget that you are addicted.jr602az has apparently forgotten the number of times he posted this thread. Detoxify and other companies seem to make lots of money on people who will get high off pot despite the risk of losing their job.

Ah, an opinion based on ignorance.

If it is an opinion based on ignorance then why are potheads the ones mostly pushing for so called medicinal marijuana, why can I pick up a high times magazine and somewhere in that magazine they are pushing it? I seriously doubt jr602az and other potheads gives a **** about medicinal marijuana other than the fact it can be used as a back door to get prescription marijuana for recreational users and to get their foot in the door for recreational marijuana. Personally I think you people should be honest about your motives.

Last edited:
Free clue: So are cigarettes and many prescription drugs and they are legal.

Free clue: we are not discussing any of those things.

I think James is right.

Most people agree that it should be legalized but the only people pushing it are potheads.

The recreational users are tired of being treated like criminals. Legalization, albeit in the near future, still isn't happening fast enough for the activist. Medical marijuana is just a loop-hole technicality so pot smokers can go buy quality herb and not have to hunt it down and go to dope houses to get it.

For crissakes. Look at the set-up. The pot shop sells pipes, papers, paraphanalia, brownies, cookies, lolly-pops, leather goods and their own clothing line. There is a doctor in the back office readily available to write out your prescription.

Now, I truly believe pot to have wonderful medicinal value in many ways. But let's not bull**** anybody here. If the legalization law's sole purpose was to provide legal pot to legitimate patients, not enough people would give a damn whether it got legalized that way or not. It would go back to being business as usual.

I am 100% for legalization but I ain't gonna lie about it. I think it should be legalized for everyone of legal age and regulated the same as alcohol. Why hide behind some bull**** loop-hole technicality. Say it loud and proud. LEGALIZE POT. **** the nay-sayers. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Free clue: Yes it is for some.

I think the confusion there is the understanding, or lack therof, of definition.

When we think of the heroin addict convulsing or the alcoholic going through DT's, then, by comparison, pot isn't "addictive" on that scale.

If a hard-core pot smoker found himself on a deserted island for months with no pot, his worst withdrawal symptom would be a sour-puss and a "bummer dude" attitude, mixed with a couple of nightmares the first few nights, and that would be about it.

How do I know that? I was Wilson on at that Tom Hanks movie and I didn't have any mota bro. :mrgreen:

About the vid: I have a white 'doctor's coat', but that doesn't make me a doctor.

I believe marijuana should be legalized and regulated like alcohol and tobacco. I have the ocassional drink, but I don't smoke or do drugs of any sort. So, whatever floats someone's boat.

I think its hard to argue the cost of marijuana enforcement is worth the benefit. Certainly the DEA and other law enforcement dedicate significant resource to this. What are they protecting us from? Moreover, marijuana laws are unevenly enforced, meaning some pay a penalty for actions that others freely engage in. What is the benefit of having this drug illegal? We should legalize it simply because its pragmatic to do so....

Last edited:
I think the confusion there is the understanding, or lack therof, of definition.

When we think of the heroin addict convulsing or the alcoholic going through DT's, then, by comparison, pot isn't "addictive" on that scale.

If a hard-core pot smoker found himself on a deserted island for months with no pot, his worst withdrawal symptom would be a sour-puss and a "bummer dude" attitude, mixed with a couple of nightmares the first few nights, and that would be about it.

How do I know that? I was Wilson on at that Tom Hanks movie and I didn't have any mota bro. :mrgreen:

This is accurate. Different substances have different levels of addiction, usually defined by the significance of the withdrawal symptoms, the need to increase the amount of the substance in order to get the same effects, or both. Marijuana, though addictive, is somewhat low on these scales.

No offense to you junkies but I do not buy the medical marijuana excuse. I think potheads couldn't win people over with the recreational marijuana so they made up the medicinal marijuana arguement as a back door to recreational usage. Watching that movie Super High Me( a marijuana version of Super Size Me) has only further convinced me of this. It seems like you can come up with any illness and claim that only pot can relieve that pain and some quack doctor will write you a prescription for it.

I agree that there is problem in the way Doctors prescribe the drug, however this is a problem with the system... not the drug itself. I would prefer that if it is to be used for medical use it should be limited to those who are either dying (from cancer or AIDS for example) or those who would otherwise be unable to function without it. I am against prescribing it for simple aches and pains.

According to this article, "a significant percentage of those with HIV/AIDS use marijuana as a symptom management approach for anxiety, depression, fatigue, diarrhoea, nausea, and peripheral neuropathy."(Marijuana Rivals Mainstream Drugs For Alleviating HIV/AIDS Symptoms)

Another article says, "In the study, THC was found to induce the death of various human brain cancer cell lines and primary cultured human brain cancer cells by a process known as autophagy." (Active Component Of Marijuana Has Anti-cancer Effects, Study Suggests)

I am convinced that THC does have some cancer fighting properties. My mother told me of a close relative who's cancer went away after smoking cannabis. Though I could not confirm that the cancer went away because of smoking, I do find it an odd coincidence.

Maybe because of the damage it does to brain cells you forget that you are addicted.jr602az has apparently forgotten the number of times he posted this thread. Detoxify and other companies seem to make lots of money on people who will get high off pot despite the risk of losing their job.

If it is an opinion based on ignorance then why are potheads the ones mostly pushing for so called medicinal marijuana, why can I pick up a high times magazine and somewhere in that magazine they are pushing it? I seriously doubt jr602az and other potheads gives a **** about medicinal marijuana other than the fact it can be used as a back door to get prescription marijuana for recreational users and to get their foot in the door for recreational marijuana. Personally I think you people should be honest about your motives.

A lot of things kill brain cells.

As for the second part, completely false. Many states all over the U.S. are pushing for medical use of marijuana. You don't have to be a pothead to recognize the benefits of the naturally grown drug.

Even my doctor thinks medical marijuana should be legal.

High Times is pushing for it because they love pot. What else would you expect?

Personally I am in favor of legalizing medical use (but only for those I mentioned above), but not recreational use. I would much rather smoke a natural plant to alleviate pain than to ingest manufactured drugs with many negative side effects. If I am dying of cancer I would rather go out laughing and with the munchies.

Not to mention you can grow it at home and for much less a price than prescription pills.

This is accurate. Different substances have different levels of addiction, usually defined by the significance of the withdrawal symptoms, the need to increase the amount of the substance in order to get the same effects, or both. Marijuana, though addictive, is somewhat low on these scales.

That being said, I have no data or link evidence to offer regarding my opinion. My opinion is drawn totally from what I know first hand and personally. I do not need a medical journal or a doctorate to speak of things I know to be fact.

No one will ever convince me, knowing what I know, that pot is not addictive.

That being said, I have no data or link evidence to offer regarding my opinion. My opinion is drawn totally from what I know first hand and personally. I do not need a medical journal or a doctorate to speak of things I know to be fact.

No one will ever convince me, knowing what I know, that pot is not addictive.

Keep in mind that cigarettes, alcohol, and even caffeine are all addictive. And marijuana has been ranked lower than all three in the category of addictive qualities.

Plus it can differ from person to person.

Keep in mind that cigarettes, alcohol, and even caffeine are all addictive. And marijuana has been ranked lower than all three in the category of addictive qualities.

I know that to be true as well. I have found tobacco to be the worst addiction of them all. A cigarette may not cause you to wreck your car but they are the hardest habit to break I have ever known personally.

Free clue: Yes it is for some.

So is alcohol, even more so than marijuana, but it is ingrained in our culture. Are we going to have a second prohibition with that? Of course not, but there IS prohibition happening right now with weed, and it has been a dismal failure. Just legalize it, and allow adults to be responsible with it. If they aren't, then THAT is when they should be penalized.

As George Carlin once said, the main difference between alcohol and marijuana is that, with marijuana, you don't puke on your shoes. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

That may be true, but this argument does nothing for the legalization side. It will always hit the addiction roadblock. And those that deny it is addictive do much more damage. Best argument for legalization is a twofold approach. Argue the complete failure of the war on drugs, and then expand it to shifting all that money to substance abuse treatment rather than incarceration. Presenting the merits of marijuana use is not going to get anyone who doesn't use to care.

So is alcohol, even more so than marijuana, but it is ingrained in our culture. Are we going to have a second prohibition with that? Of course not, but there IS prohibition happening right now with weed, and it has been a dismal failure. Just legalize it, and allow adults to be responsible with it. If they aren't, THAT is when they should be penalized.

As George Carlin once said, the main difference between alcohol and marijuana is that, with marijuana, you don't puke on your shoes. :mrgreen:

I am pro-legalization, but from a specific position. And there is a big difference between alcohol and marijuana. Alcohol, as you said is ingrained in our culture, and has been for centuries. Marjiuana is not. The prohibition of alcohol was an absolute failure, but not because of it's addictive quality. It was a failure because alcohol was used in a wide-spread way; marijuana was not, and taking this away was far more difficult for society to manage than taking away marijuana. There is a HUGE difference between these two prohibitions.

Well, going on what I have read and observed on television, medicinal marijuana, when it's all said and done, isn't any cheaper than we can get it on the the streets.

And the whup-ass pot floating around out there these days and the abundance of it, coupled with the fact that most of today's cops have a whole new attitude about the private, responsible user, I could care less if they legalize it or not.

I like things just the way they are here in my blue-neck-of-the-woods. :mrgreen:

What-ev-ah.

Jessie Ventura said it best on Larry King. I don't remember his exact words but it went something like this. "I come up through the 60's and 70's. The age of the rock and roll concerts. The Beatles, Stones. Pot, to my generation, is as natural as beer at a baseball game. I have smoked marijuana and I have drank beer. Marijuana didn't do nearly as much damage."

That may be true, but this argument does nothing for the legalization side. It will always hit the addiction roadblock. And those that deny it is addictive do much more damage. Best argument for legalization is a twofold approach. Argue the complete failure of the war on drugs, and then expand it to shifting all that money to substance abuse treatment rather than incarceration. Presenting the merits of marijuana use is not going to get anyone who doesn't use to care.

to copy from Colbert- tonights Word:

Harm reduction

while I am in agreement, the argument in bold in this quote falters when singling out marijuana for legalization, for it to be anymore than marginally effective it must encompass all substances, and this is a pill that will choke many a fence sitter on the issue. People instantly reject reason and put up barricades and hide behind an obstinate wall of rejection the instant there is even an allusion to cocaine, or heroine, or -gasp- meth being legalized so that we can treat drug problems instead of exacerbating them.

Legalized marijuana alone would be a great test subject to show that it is not the end of the world to take control of drugs out of the hands of criminals, and it will have benefits. Unfortunately there will still be a whole host of problems not adequately addressed unless all drugs are considered, the argument for legalization cannot even come close to its full potential by singling out marijuana - in fact doing so undermines the most powerful arguments for legalization (drugs are too dangerous to be left uncontrolled - or even more incredulous - too dangerous to have a policy that hands that control over to criminals).

For the war on drugs to end it is necessary to make bedfellows with many who are in it solely to get marijuana legalized - acceptance of ending prohibition across the board will not occur without marijuana paving the way. It would be nice if many in the "legalize marijuana so I can get high" crowd would try thinking their arguments through while not high once in a while. Much like the War on Drugs, they do more harm than good - and that brings us back around to tonight's word, and what the argument is all about:

Harm reduction

Last edited:
Maybe because of the damage it does to brain cells you forget that you are addicted.

No, I smoked cigarettes for over 20 years.

I know what addiction is like.

Cannabis is no more addictive than any other thing that people find pleasurable.

Yes, there are people who may become psychologically addicted, but it is not physically addictive.

If it is an opinion based on ignorance

Sorry, I was unclear. It was supposed to be about your comment about not buying medical marijuana.

But, looking back, I think I owe you a bit of an apology. I thought that you were saying that you didn't accept that cannabis has medicinal value.

then why are potheads the ones mostly pushing for so called medicinal marijuana, why can I pick up a high times magazine and somewhere in that magazine they are pushing it? I seriously doubt jr602az and other potheads gives a **** about medicinal marijuana other than the fact it can be used as a back door to get prescription marijuana for recreational users and to get their foot in the door for recreational marijuana. Personally I think you people should be honest about your motives.

I am. I am proponent of legalization.

I think that the medical issue should be decided by medical professionals, not law enforcement personnel, bureaucrats or politicians.

Back
Top Bottom