• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iceland aims to become haven for investigative journalism

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Iceland aims to become haven for investigative journalism | Media | guardian.co.uk

Iceland aims to become an offshore haven for journalists and leakers » Nieman Journalism Lab

On Tuesday, the Icelandic parliament is expected to introduce a measure aimed at making the country an international center for investigative journalism publishing, by passing the strongest combination of source protection, freedom of speech, and libel-tourism prevention laws in the world.

This is an interesting gambit. According to other analysis I've read on this, the idea behind this proposal is rebuild the economy using this policy to carve out an economic niche to attract journalism companies. My question is whether this will further promote journalism or if it cause the country to become a haven for unfounded rumors.

Personally, I think it is a good move, those guys need something new to base their economy on.

Iceland is an interesting country.

I spent a couple days there when I was 19.

What an excellent idea. Since journalism is on the decline worldwide, creating a modern bastion for it where authorship is completely protected and uncensored by big corporations, Iceland may just carve out a new niche for itself.

In a way it's handy to be such a small country. It allows for easier implementation of economic ideas.

They have an easy renewable resource in geothermal as well. Lucky bastards.

Iceland aims to become haven for investigative journalism | Media | guardian.co.uk

Iceland aims to become an offshore haven for journalists and leakers » Nieman Journalism Lab

This is an interesting gambit. According to other analysis I've read on this, the idea behind this proposal is rebuild the economy using this policy to carve out an economic niche to attract journalism companies. My question is whether this will further promote journalism or if it cause the country to become a haven for unfounded rumors.

Personally, I think it is a good move, those guys need something new to base their economy on.

Their attempt at unfettered capitalism was a complete failure, so I suppose trying anything at this point would be wise...

What an excellent idea. Since journalism is on the decline worldwide, creating a modern bastion for it where authorship is completely protected and uncensored by big corporations, Iceland may just carve out a new niche for itself.

In a way it's handy to be such a small country. It allows for easier implementation of economic ideas.
Yeah I got to swim in their outdoor heated pools, of course there is a bit of a sulfur smell. They have some interesting terrain in some parts where there is a lot of volcanic ash upon which Icelandic moss grows making it very spongy to walk on.

Their attempt at unfettered capitalism was a complete failure, so I suppose trying anything at this point would be wise...
Well they used to rely on fishing and wool industry, and had to import almost everything. Their economy was very closely tied to the US from which imported much. I'm totally familiar with today, as this was about 30 years ago. I assume it is similar. I know they are experts at geothermal energy technology and I think they sell that too.

Here is a photo of Iceland Moss on the volcanic ash.

wildflowers-winter-521616-sw.jpg

Well they used to rely on fishing and wool industry, and had to import almost everything. Their economy was very closely tied to the US from which imported much. I'm totally familiar with today, as this was about 30 years ago. I assume it is similar. I know they are experts at geothermal energy technology and I think they sell that too.

Oh, this is true. They're a kick-ass people and it's a kick-ass country. They just really, really, really screwed up when the privatized and deregulated their banks and let greedy people kill their nation.

I hated to see them go from the happiest nation on earth (I would think not easy to do when the sun doesn't rise for a long time); to a near third-world nation.

They'll make it back out, I'm sure. They're creative if nothing else and they produce great cinema and music. They could do more of that, and I'd happily help them out buy buying tickets and downloading songs.

they should start exporting Asdis Ran clones, people would buy her for millions of dollars each

they should start exporting Asdis Ran clones, people would buy her for millions of dollars each

*googles that name*

Holy crap.

This is what I was talking about. Long, long ago, the Vikings kept raiding the mainland and stealing all the beautiful women.

It paid off.

Back
Top Bottom