• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Felony Snowball Tossing Charges Lodged

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Felony Snowball Tossing Charges Lodged

Felony Snowball Tossing Charges Lodged - February 9, 2010

FEBRUARY 9--Felony snowball throwing charges have been leveled against two Virginia college students for allegedly pelting a city plow and an undercover police car during Saturday's blizzard. Charles Gill and Ryan Knight, both 21, were nabbed by cops in Harrisonburg, where they attend James Madison University. According to police, the pair first targeted a city plow last Saturday afternoon. The driver responded by calling cops to report the frosty fusillade. When police responded to the scene in a bid to identify the assailants, their unmarked vehicle also came under an icy assault, according to a Harrisonburg Police Department press release. Gill and Knight, a guard on JMU's basketball team, were then apprehended and booked into jail for throwing missiles at occupied vehicles, a felony. Gill (top) and Knight are pictured below in Rockingham County Sheriff's Office mug shots. If convicted of the felonious snowball tossing, the men each face between one and five years in prison, and a maximum $2,500 fine.

:shock:

excessive?

I can see it now. "What are you in for?"

"I was caught throwing snowballs at a snowplow and an unmarked police car. What are you in for?"

"Armed robbery and murder."

How can you hurt a snowplow with snowballs? The judge should throw this one out of court.

This whole scenario is ludicrous. I remeber as a kid throwing snowballs at a telephone man up a pole. I nailed him a good one in the back of the neck because then the snow went down his back. I was legend in the neighborhood for several years running. Now, it's a felony. Geez. That takes the fun out of snow. I suppose now, they will arrrest you for unauthorized sledding.

Okay, I read the 4th page, and it says that shovelfuls of snow were thrown at the windshield, and snow was thrown inside the police car. Now, that was a good throw, but those guys should have hightailed it out of there. You don't stand around and gloat about it.

Last edited:
:shock:

excessive?

Yes, excessive, but it should still be considered a crime. Throwing snowballs at cars can cause accidents. The "It was just snowballs" argument, IMHO, holds just about as much weight as "It was just a couple of beers I drank before I drove".

Yes, excessive, but it should still be considered a crime. Throwing snowballs at cars can cause accidents. The "It was just snowballs" argument, IMHO, holds just about as much weight as "It was just a couple of beers I drank before I drove".
So maybe we should pull their nails out with a rusty pair of pliers.

It should definitely not be a felony in this case, although. A financial ticket would be harsh enough. Also, I wonder if a snowball counts as a missile. I think a missile has to be capable of doing some or any damage at all. Snowballs and food fights almost always contain minimally mild grievances.

It should definitely not be a felony in this case, although. A financial ticket would be harsh enough. Also, I wonder if a snowball counts as a missile. I think a missile has to be capable of doing some or any damage at all. Snowballs and food fights almost always contain minimally mild grievances.

You ever had anything hit your windshield? It can and does cause accidents. It is no different than having somebody shoot your car with a paintball gun. I think making it a felony is excessive but people who simply ignore this are ignoring the incredible stupidity these guys engaged in.

I was about six when a friend and I were lobbing snowballs over the hedgerow onto passing cars. We got one car really good (windshield hit), when suddenly the driver stopped the car and got out. My nine y/o friend said "come on, lets run". He climbed over the four foot picket fence behind us and took off. My tennis shoe got stuck in between a couple of the pickets at the top of the fence and I landed squarely on my forehead. My parents took me to the Doctor to get six stitches.

I don't think I ever threw snowballs at cars after that. We didn't know what a felony was back then. We were lucky enough to get away. Albeit wounded in my case.

"I was caught throwing snowballs at a snowplow and an unmarked police car. What are you in for?"

How can you hurt a snowplow with snowballs? The judge should throw this one out of court.

This whole scenario is ludicrous. I remeber as a kid throwing snowballs at a telephone man up a pole. I nailed him a good one in the back of the neck because then the snow went down his back. I was legend in the neighborhood for several years running. Now, it's a felony. Geez. That takes the fun out of snow. I suppose now, they will arrrest you for unauthorized sledding.

Okay, I read the 4th page, and it says that shovelfuls of snow were thrown at the windshield, and snow was thrown inside the police car. Now, that was a good throw, but those guys should have hightailed it out of there. You don't stand around and gloat about it.

Wow. You must be so proud. :roll: Frankly, I think it's disgusting. I would NEVER throw a snowball at anyone unless it was in fun and it was clear the other person would be into it. You hit the guy in the back of the neck and everyone thought you were great? Jesus Christ. *reminds self that parents taught her manners and class*

If that telephone pole man had fallen off the pole, due to your snowball, you might have been looking at manslaughter. Your actions there were clearly irresponsible.

Back
Top Bottom