• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lobbyist charges $30,400 to ‘raise a glass’ with Pelosi

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Filed under the category "Your hypocritical congresscritters in action":

The price of admission? $5,000 for an individual, $15,000 for a representative of a political action committee, and $30,400 -- the maximum allowable donation -- for the privilege of being a co-host.

But aren't the Democrats the ones who are criticizing the Republicans for this kind of stuff? Oh yea, that's right. Do as I say, not as I do.

Sorry, Dems, but your party really sucks. If you really believed that Republican fund raising was all that evil, you wouldn't be doing the same thing now, would you?

Goes to show you that, when a politician is bought, he or she STAYS bought.

Article is here.

Another good reason to throw private money out of politics entirely. If we have full public financing than there is no incentive for crap like this to happen for any party.

But aren't the Democrats the ones who are criticizing the Republicans for this kind of stuff? Oh yea, that's right. Do as I say, not as I do.

Sorry, Dems, but your party really sucks. If you really believed that Republican fund raising was all that evil, you wouldn't be doing the same thing now, would you?

Article is here.

Thought Dems were against minute print?

Another good reason to throw private money out of politics entirely. If we have full public financing than there is no incentive for crap like this to happen for any party.

How would that work? Are you going to ban all political candidates from accepting any donations whatsoever? How do you decide which candidates get public financing? Where are you going to get the money to provide this public financing? How are you going to prevent donors from simply steering their money to groups organized to support particular candidates or causes?

Campaign finance is not well suited to regulation by slogan.

How would that work? Are you going to ban all political candidates from accepting any donations whatsoever? How do you decide which candidates get public financing? Where are you going to get the money to provide this public financing? How are you going to prevent donors from simply steering their money to groups organized to support particular candidates or causes?

The government has regulations for those running for office. Each party member running for office gets xxxx dollars on which to campaign. This is a good idea.

No outside donations should be allowed. All finances need to be open to the public. If so much as a cup of water is donated to a candidate; that candidate is disqualified from the race and banned from political office for life.

In addition, the candidate and the individual who made the donation both serve 25 years in prison with no parole or pardon (this needs to be pardon-proof to keep partisan hackery in check).

This will keep businesses and SIGs from buying off politicians.

Exactly right. Campaign finance is also not well suited to public funding - all we got out of that was the McCain-Feingold Incumbent Protection Act and we always get immense corruption in the disbursement of public funds.

The only approach that shows any promise is prompt and public disclosure of all campaign and issue funding.

The government has regulations for those running for office. Each party member running for office gets xxxx dollars on which to campaign. This is a good idea.

No outside donations should be allowed. All finances need to be open to the public. If so much as a cup of water is donated to a candidate; that candidate is disqualified from the race and banned from political office for life.

In addition, the candidate and the individual who made the donation both serve 25 years in prison with no parole or pardon (this needs to be pardon-proof to keep partisan hackery in check).

This will keep businesses and SIGs from buying off politicians.

So only party members get the public financing? Sounds like you want to protect the Democrats and Republican establishment at the expense of insurgent candidates, third parties, and independents.

No outside donations are allowed? What about donations to advocacy groups that are separate from the campaign? They're not donating to the candidate directly, so it looks like it would be a-okay in your book, right?

… The only approach that shows any promise is prompt and public disclosure of all campaign and issue funding.

It was all disclosed.

So, just to be clear, no complaints from the right about Speaker Pelosi's fundraiser.

And, to be consistent, for all those following the California court proceedings, all those who contributed to the Prop 8 campaign banning Gay marriage should now be publicly exposed.

Silk purses from sow ears!

Last edited:
It was all disclosed.

So, just to be clear, no complaints from the right about Speaker Pelosi's fundraiser.

People are free to criticize on the grounds that it demonstrates hypocrisy or deference to special interests, but as a matter of law, it's perfectly okay.

And, to be consistent, for all those following the California court proceedings, all those who contributed to the Prop 8 campaign banning Gay marriage should now be publicly exposed.

I see a difference between funds being donated directly to the coffer of a politician and funds being donated to a private group organized to advocate on behalf of a policy proposal.

Are you going to ban all political candidates from accepting any donations whatsoever?

I think the best thing would be to limit it at around $200 or so.

How do you decide which candidates get public financing?

If the candidate's party or the candidate wins an election, they will get public financing or if the candidate can collect the signatures of somewhere around 2 to 3% of the registered voting population's signatures in a petition than they will get it too. This will be a boon for smaller parties and put them on a more equal playing field.

Where are you going to get the money to provide this public financing?

Taxes

How are you going to prevent donors from simply steering their money to groups organized to support particular candidates or causes?.

Unfortunately the supreme court threw a wrench in this one and it perverts free speech to be tainted with money, so I haven't come up with a good answer yet.

I think the best thing would be to limit it at around $200 or so.

Okay.

If the candidate's party or the candidate wins an election, they will get public financing or if the candidate can collect the signatures of somewhere around 2 to 3% of the registered voting population's signatures in a petition than they will get it too. This will be a boon for smaller parties and put them on a more equal playing field.

To put that in perspective - the average Congressional district has around 750,000 people in it. 3% of that is 22,500 people. It costs about $2/signature to hire people to petition, so under your framework, there would be a $45,000 upfront cost for petitioning alone before a candidate would have access to the same resources as major candidates. With a $200 limit per donor, nobody who is not part of a major party will be able to raise that much money.

Let's set that aside for a minute - when these candidates qualify for public financing, how much are you going to give them? Remember that all of this money is coming out of our pockets.

Unfortunately the supreme court threw a wrench in this one and it perverts free speech to be tainted with money, so I haven't come up with a good answer yet.

Pretend that this decision and the 35 years of jurisprudence explicitly defining money as speech never happened. How it would work in your ideal world?

Article is here.

This type of lobbying needs to be banned.

Let's set that aside for a minute - when these candidates qualify for public financing, how much are you going to give them? Remember that all of this money is coming out of our pockets.
David Duke used to make a pretty good living out of losing elections; almost all of the public funding money was paid to a political consultant company that he owned.

At least with private donations, the people get to select the person they think can best represent them. With public financing we are simply funding fringe nutcases like Ralph Nader and David Duke whose messages are about as inspirational and sensible as the average street preacher.

Yea..... just like Obama did in the last election..... oh, wait.... never mind.

Okay.

To put that in perspective - the average Congressional district has around 750,000 people in it. 3% of that is 22,500 people. It costs about $2/signature to hire people to petition, so under your framework, there would be a $45,000 upfront cost for petitioning alone before a candidate would have access to the same resources as major candidates. With a $200 limit per donor, nobody who is not part of a major party will be able to raise that much money.

Honestly, this is an excellent question and I had not considered that people were hired for what I thought was volunteer work. But I can think of a few solutions.
Perhaps set the limit to $500 which most average people can still usually afford if they are passionate, or maybe allow $200 per quarter or month, or maybe have a more loose limit before the candidacy paperwork is turned in, I will have to think through this.

This depends on the race of course. Presidential would be about $300 million. The average cost of a senate and house election in 2008 was $5.3 million and $1.1 million respectively. With the senate (and somewhat for the house) there would need to be some flexing depending on exact populations, but that seems to be a good amount.

Using 2008 as a standard, this (assuming 4 candidates for each race, 5 for presidency, which seems reasonable to me) works out to about $4.1 billion. I estimate about $2.6 billion in a nonpresidential year such as 2010. Not really that much given the scale of the US federal budget.

Pretend that this decision and the 35 years of jurisprudence explicitly defining money as speech never happened. How it would work in your ideal world?

Obviously money has a lot to do with speech. I cannot deny that. Nor can I deny the reasoning that the courts use, which is pretty obvious to me. I do think that the way the money is generate is what causes what I believe a perversion of our system away from the average person and more to wealthy causes (or the causes of the wealthy) causing unequal representation of the citizenry, thus causing have some to have less speech than others.

There should be nothing preventing a corporation, charity, etc from running ads saying stuff like "abortion is wrong" or "we dislike prayer in schools" as long as there is full disclosure of funding, and the message is not tied to another candidate, group, regulation, specific policy proposal or existing law. So they could not say person or group X is good or bad for Y reasons. Any facts used should be cited at the end of the commercial and accessible on the web or other inquiry. This, I believe, would direct advocacy towards citizens and not politicians but would cut out the inflammatory and inaccurate speech the both parties currently use, who would than vote for their priorities against a greater number of candidates. In the case of no majority, I don't know what would happen at the national level since I don't think it has ever happened, but at the local level, have a runoff of some type.

In terms of affect, I don't know what would happen, but I think it would make the government more responsive to its citizen's concerns. Whether that means things go more conservative, liberal, or some other direction, like libertarian, I can not say and really isn't important as long as the government does a better job of representing its citizens.

Last edited:
So only party members get the public financing? Sounds like you want to protect the Democrats and Republican establishment at the expense of insurgent candidates, third parties, and independents.

No outside donations are allowed? What about donations to advocacy groups that are separate from the campaign? They're not donating to the candidate directly, so it looks like it would be a-okay in your book, right?

I am for doing whatver is necessary to prevent politicians from being owned by business.

Back
Top Bottom