• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rights group says Obama creating torture impunity

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Rights group says Obama creating torture impunity | Reuters

OMG I may faint dead away. I do not condone the use of torture under most circumstances, but I also don't believe you can move forward if you concentrate on looking back all the time. his is the first thing Obama is doing right. Time to move on.

I coined my own phrase to cover this; You will only gain hindsight when you pull head head out of your ass. And it will be your own dumb ass you see first.

We would be better off without the Accusation of Communist Lovers United ACLU, and the Southern Poverty Law Center too. They are both too radical and the ACLU is often Anti-American.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama's administration is creating impunity for senior officials of former President George W. Bush accused of authorizing torture, the American Civil Liberties Union said on Thursday.

Barack Obama

As Obama accepted the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, the ACLU, which has pursued nearly a dozen cases against the U.S. government since 2003 related to prisoner abuse, accused him of failing to provide accountability on torture.

"We're increasingly disappointed and alarmed by the current administration's stance on accountability for torture," said ACLU National Security Project Director Jameel Jaffer. "The administration is actively obstructing accountability."

Obama said in April that CIA interrogators who had used waterboarding -- a form of simulated drowning -- on suspected militants will not face prosecution and he released Bush-era memos specifying that the practice did not constitute torture.

Republicans criticized Obama's release of the memos, saying it left the door open for the prosecution of former Bush officials who authorized severe CIA interrogations.

But the ACLU said Obama was instead preventing any investigations through his pledge to look forward and not review the past.

Yeah, a waste of time to investigate crimes and apply justice, what's a little well-intended torture in the scheme of things.

Move forward, America!

Rights group says Obama creating torture impunity | Reuters

OMG I may faint dead away. I do not condone the use of torture under most circumstances, but I also don't believe you can move forward if you concentrate on looking back all the time. his is the first thing Obama is doing right. Time to move on.

I coined my own phrase to cover this; You will only gain hindsight when you pull head head out of your ass. And it will be your own dumb ass you see first.

We would be better off without the Accusation of Communist Lovers United ACLU, and the Southern Poverty Law Center too. They are both too radical and the ACLU is often Anti-American.

How's that hope and change work'n out for ya?

There don't seem to be any comments about the ineffectual ACLU this time around, probably because they are attacking Obama.

There don't seem to be any comments about the ineffectual ACLU this time around, probably because they are attacking Obama.

Thats because we're still in shock that the ACLU would turn on it's own :shock:

Back
Top Bottom