• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fayed eyes 'president of Scotland' role

bub

R.I.P. Léo
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
LONDON (AFP) – Mohamed Al Fayed, owner of plush London emporium Harrods, told The Sunday Times he was ready to become the first president of an independent Scotland.

The Egyptian tycoon, 80, who owns an estate in the Scottish Highlands, said he was urging his "fellow Scots" to detach themselves from "the English and their terrible politicians".

Fayed eyes 'president of Scotland' role - Yahoo! News

He should change his name to "Mac Fayed"!

The proposed Constitution says theirs will be a Parliamentary form of Government meaning they will not have a President but a Prime Minister. The Prime Minister is to be elected by Parliament, and Ministers are to be confirmed by Parliament.

The proposed Scottish Constitution says in Article one part #4. An inclusive definition of citizenship, with reserved rights of residency for non-citizens resident in Scotland at the time of independence. Voting is from age 16. Which I see as a mistake with respect to voting age. 16 is just too young. Yes there are a few 16 year olds with sound judgment but they are few and far between.

Mr. Fayed I would appose because he has made statements about his sons death that put into question his judgment. That alone would make me seriously question his motive for wanting to be Prime Minister which would require being elected to Parliament. His age being 80 is a major draw back, being Egyptian is a whole other whole question.
As a reporter I would have questions of him In a effort to reveal his motives and most likely they would piss him off, and in doing so would tell a better story of why he is interested.

Fayed hates the UK government, always has since the UK government attempted to block him at ever turn in business and citizenship. And his son's death did not help either.. also he is old.

Back
Top Bottom