• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Criminally insane killer disappears from fair

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
When I heard about this story on TV what the **** entered my mind. They take a bunch of wackos to the fair and one of those wackos is a murderer who got off because some dumb asses bought the insanity excuse. Its bad enough a judge and jury spit in the faces of the victim's loved ones but the wacko bin added further insult to injury to the victim's loved ones by allowing this scumbag to go on field trips.

Criminally insane killer disappears from fair - KXLY.com: News, Weather and Sports for Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID |
SPOKANE -- A criminally insane killer who strangled a woman because voices told him she was a witch has walked away from an Eastern State Hospital field trip to the Spokane Interstate Fair and may be trying to hitchhike home to Sunnyside.

Deputies have been combing the fairgrounds and the area within several blocks of the sprawling complex in search of Phillip Paul, 47, a man with a history of escape and assault in Spokane County in addition to being found criminally insane in the wake of the 1987 strangulation killing of an elderly Granger woman.

Paul was on a field trip to the fair with a group of Eastern State Hospital patients Thursday morning when he disappeared from the rest of his group. The rest of the patients from the group from Eastern State Hospital have been accounted for and taken from the fairgrounds.

The Spokane County Sheriff's Office acknowledges they are "dismayed" with Eastern State's Hospital reporting of Paul's disappearance. While he was reported missing at 1:14 PM apparently Eastern may have known Paul was missing as early as 11:30 AM, more than an hour and a half before they notified authorities about his disappearance.

"It appears now there was a two hour lapse from the point he disappeared from his attendant to the sheriff's office was notified of his escape and obviously that's a concern to us," Sgt. Reagan said. "We're concerned that we were not aware that people of his criminal history were being brought to the fair for day trips. As a courtesy we would have liked to have been notified ahead of time."

"Certainly as a matter of professional courtesy once he disappeared we feel the responsible thing would have been to have been immediately notified," Reagan continued. "As soon as we were notified within 30 minutes we had saturated the fairgrounds with security people and Spokane Valley police officers."

Reagan added that had notification been made to authorities by Eastern State Hospital in "a more timely fashion the odds of catching him would have been much greater."

Shortly before 4 PM the Sheriff's Officer reported they have a witness who says that Phillip Paul walked into a business located in the 3600 block of E. Springfield at 11:30. Authorities say they are between 80 and 85-percent sure this was an actual sighting of Paul.

The man they think might have been Paul was last seen walking westbound from the Sprague/ Trent corridor. Authorities think Paul, who has no money, may be attempting to hitchhike home to Sunnyside in the Yakima Valley where his parents live.

"His sister tells us he calls his parents in Sunnyside virtually every day and that if he's escaped he's headed home," Spokane County Sheriff Sergeant Dave Reagan said.

Paul is described as being 5'9", 207 lbs, Caucasian with brown hair and goatee. He was wearing blue jeans, a blue T-shirt and a red windbreaker.

When I heard about this story on TV what the **** entered my mind. They take a bunch of wackos to the fair and one of those wackos is a murderer who got off because some dumb asses bought the insanity excuse. Its bad enough a judge and jury spit in the faces of the victim's loved ones but the wacko bin added further insult to injury to the victim's loved ones by allowing this scumbag to go on field trips.

If he was actually in a mental hospital than he probably truly was insane. It's very difficult to get an insanity plea. But I agree that they're idiots for letting him go to a fair. I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking.

If he was actually in a mental hospital than he probably truly was insane. It's very difficult to get an insanity plea. But I agree that they're idiots for letting him go to a fair. I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking.

The fair seems like a highly inappropriate place to take the mentally unstable. The sheer volume of people would make any schizophrenic have some serious issues.

Well, ya know if he'd gotten the death penalty this wouldn't have happened... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom