• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colombia Congress OKs referendum on Uribe seeking reelection

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Colombia Congress OKs referendum on Uribe seeking reelection -- latimes.com

Funny how this story has gotten no time on these boards, and yet Chavez doing exactly the same thing got weeks of traction..

So here we have a right wing US backed President, redrawing election laws, so he can run for another term beyond the mandated term limit... and not a peep from the right.. :roll:

Colombia Congress OKs referendum on Uribe seeking reelection -- latimes.com

Funny how this story has gotten no time on these boards, and yet Chavez doing exactly the same thing got weeks of traction..

So here we have a right wing US backed President, redrawing election laws, so he can run for another term beyond the mandated term limit... and not a peep from the right.. :roll:

From the article
By a vote of 85 to 5, the lower house of Congress late Tuesday greenlighted a voter referendum early next year that could pave the way for Uribe to be on the May presidential ballot.

It appears to me that they have approved a national vote on whether, or not, the president can run for a third term. The citizens that disagree with it, will certainly vote against this plan. If enough of them vote against it, then Uribe won't be able to run for a third term. Looks like democracy in action, to me.

How is the least bit comparable to anything Chevez has done??

It appears to me that they have approved a national vote on whether, or not, the president can run for a third term. The citizens that disagree with it, will certainly vote against this plan. If enough of them vote against it, then Uribe won't be able to run for a third term. Looks like democracy in action, to me.

Uh...through the fact that a majority vote through a popular referendum also eliminated the term limit constrictions that were on him? :2wave:

He's not white.

This man isn't white? :confused:

49031066.jpg

Compare him to the black/indigenous mestizo Hugo Chavez:

hugo-chavez-1.jpg

Also consider the indigenous Evo Morales, president of Bolivia:

2832087781-morales-critica-bush-lanza-idea-cambiar-sede-onu.jpg

These men are of different races, which is why the "Hispanic" and "Latino" labels are so insufficiently descriptive, IMO.

You seriously dont mean that right?

Chavez went through his congress too, and had a referendum....

And you dont see anything similar there?

Back
Top Bottom