• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

Orion

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Science minister's coyness on evolution worries researchers

This is an ongoing saga. Essentially, Stephen Harper's (who is an Evangelical) appointment of a Christian to be Minister of Science has worried a lot of scientific researchers in Canada. First, the Minister would not even acknowledge whether or not he believed in evolution; second, in a followup interview, he claimed that he "of course" believed in evolution, but then gave an extremely out of date (by about 100 years) explanation of what evolution was.

I won't lie, I don't agree with creationism, but people are entitled to believe what they want. That said, a Science Minister who is clearly torn between science and religion? It it is just silly.

This is an ongoing saga. Essentially, Stephen Harper's (who is an Evangelical) appointment of a Christian to be Minister of Science has worried a lot of scientific researchers in Canada. First, the Minister would not even acknowledge whether or not he believed in evolution; second, in a followup interview, he claimed that he "of course" believed in evolution, but then gave an extremely out of date (by about 100 years) explanation of what evolution was.

I won't lie, I don't agree with creationism, but people are entitled to believe what they want. That said, a Science Minister who is clearly torn between science and religion? It it is just silly.
Will the explanation that would have made you happy be extremely out of date one hundred years from now? ;)

There is no theory of evolution......there is only a list of species that Chuck Norris allows to exist.

Crazy Canadian Christians....

Torn? bah, you think because someone is a christian they are suddenly in opposition to science?

If he is smart, and credible, he should be a good minister, christian or no.

Torn? bah, you think because someone is a christian they are suddenly in opposition to science?

If he is smart, and credible, he should be a good minister, christian or no.

yeah, in a perfect world... isn't it the xians who keep telling us that man isn't perfect?

Will the explanation that would have made you happy be extremely out of date one hundred years from now? ;)

Of course it will. Our knowledge of DNA alone is sparse enough that our current view of evolution will be extremely out of date in a decade, far less a century

Back
Top Bottom