• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Engages in Combat with Iranian Military Vehicle

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
US forces shot down an Iranian drone 60 miles (100km) north-east of Baghdad last month, the US military says.

A military spokesman said the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) was in Iraqi airspace for almost an hour and 10 minutes before it was engaged.

"This was not an accident on the part of the Iranians," the spokesman said, without elaborating. The incident took place on 25 February, he said.

The US has long accused Iran of military interference inside Iraq.

There was no immediate comment from Iran.

The US spokesman said in a statement that pilots "were directed to shoot the UAV down after determining there would be no possibility of collateral damage".

The unmanned Iranian aircraft was believed to be an "Ababil 3", he said.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iranian drone 'shot down in Iraq'

If i could go in time and put myself into Bush's shoes, the saddam regime would still be running strong but the pro US shah would have been restablished.

Last edited:
If i could go in time and put myself into Bush's shoes, the saddam regime would still be running strong but the pro US shah would have been restablished.

You and me both :(

I just wish i had a time machine and could shapeshift - I could pass for a President no? =D

Why is that?

Do you think the Ayatollah is/was a greater threat than Saddam?

As a matter of fact, yes, i do. Because he did not posses nucleur weapons. Even if Saddam did posses weapons, he didnt have the capabilities to launch space programs and put satelites into space with the ability to carry long range missiles. Iran is a greater threat to us. They have a nucleur program going on and they have the strong hand of Russia involved to help them.

Iraq had sanctions placed on it that put the economy into a terrible condition, this just isnt the case with Iran. Iran is a country that has a big military apparatus. They have also a large nuclear sector with two nuclear power reactors that are ready to go into operation, research reactors going on, a lot of people and a lot of money. Therefore the suspicions and concerns about Iran and enriched uranium are far more substantial than they were in the case of Iraq. Added to the fact, they have huge oil reserves that provides massive amounts of revenues for the government to further invest in the military and nucleur technology.

So, yeah. Ayatollah is a bigger threat to us than Iraq. And to add to it, Irans intentions are clear. There anti-israeli propaganda, Tehrans funding of terrorism and there nucleur ambitions are staring at us straight in the face. It doesnt take intelligence to see that, either. The Americans made the whole iraq thing up. Iran is for real.

The US made Iraq a threat, thanks to there amazingly informed intelligence services. Did anyone think to check under saddams bed? Maybe he was hiding the nucleur missiles there.

Last edited:
If an Iranian drone was loitering inside Iraq in February, they most certainly were overflying Iraq during Bush's term. Why didn't the Bush administration shoot down the Iranian drones? Appeasement?

The Americans made the whole iraq thing up. Iran is for real.

Lol, boy cried wolf.

No one will listen about Iran, we screwed up in Iraq. No way in hell would we ever support military action in Iran - Nukes or not

Lol, boy cried wolf.

No one will listen about Iran, we screwed up in Iraq. No way in hell would we ever support military action in Iran - Nukes or not

Precisely. So whatever President makes the call to go to war with Iran, which is, unfortunately, inevitable, will end up to be very unpopular. More so than Bush. Hopefully its not Obama. Actually im wearing my Obama shirt now lol :D
I dont think the west will sit back and let Iran get on with there duties. Iran is an itch on the wests backs, and there dying to scratch it. If Ahmedinejad makes the wrong moves, we could be looking at a third front in the ME.

If Ahmedinejad makes the wrong moves, we could be looking at a third front in the ME.

A third front is deadly, US will not retarded enough to attack another country when they are still fighting two wars.

I'll risk Iran having Nukes atm.

Well it shouldnt be left up to the US only, should it? Russia has no sense of decency. Otherwise they would be out there pressuring them too and uniting with the west against such threats. And China. Whats up with the other big boys? Almost like there too scared to go war. I mean, look at the US, they dont even think twice :D

But seriously, why arent Europeans countries doing anything? America always has to make the first move dont they. Wheres Russia? Europe and Russia should dive in head first with this one, with the backing of the US. It would save the americans another front, and diminish any possibility of Europe being a continent of radioactive zombies. Eugh. :shock:

Last edited:
Europe and Russia/China are clever to stay out. Good for them

How dare terrible, theocratic Iran interfere in U.S. affairs! Hasn't the U.S. always taken a very hands-off approach to Iran, aiding in the overthrow of their democratically elected prime minister, supporting the dictatorial Shah and his brutal SAVAK police, covertly attempting to destabilize the government of the current elected president...;)

Maybe China but Russia? There hardly keeping out. Infact there building the nucleur reactors! Its going to be them picking up the dusty remains of former Russian cities in the European parts of Russia.

How dare terrible, theocratic Iran interfere in U.S. affairs! Hasn't the U.S. always taken a very hands-off approach to Iran, aiding in the overthrow of their democratically elected prime minister, supporting the dictatorial Shah and his brutal SAVAK police, covertly attempting to destabilize the government of the current elected president...;)

Ohh yes!! Aweful US! Now they want to overthrow a government that not only funds terrorism, but has a dangerous nucleur program going on! Dear God, is this what uncle sam left England for?

If an Iranian drone was loitering inside Iraq in February, they most certainly were overflying Iraq during Bush's term. Why didn't the Bush administration shoot down the Iranian drones? Appeasement?

You wanna show something to back that assertion up?

Maybe China but Russia? There hardly keeping out. Infact there building the nucleur reactors! Its going to be them picking up the dusty remains of former Russian cities in the European parts of Russia.

Do you have a point? Iran possesses the right to develop a nuclear energy program under the terms of the NPT. You'll also note that the Iranian need for nuclear energy was affirmed by the U.S. administration when Iran was a steadfast ally (and possibly under Khatami, if I recall correctly), but suddenly disappeared under Ahmadinejad.

While I don't doubt that certain elements in Iran desire nuclear weaponry, Israel's possession of undeclared nuclear weaponry has provoked the beginning of an arms race in the region, which is unsurprising, considering that the current president of Israel has made not-so-subtle threats to destroy Iran.

As a matter of fact, yes, i do. Because he did not posses nucleur weapons. Even if Saddam did posses weapons, he didnt have the capabilities to launch space programs and put satelites into space with the ability to carry long range missiles. Iran is a greater threat to us. They have a nucleur program going on and they have the strong hand of Russia involved to help them.

Iraq had sanctions placed on it that put the economy into a terrible condition, this just isnt the case with Iran. Iran is a country that has a big military apparatus. They have also a large nuclear sector with two nuclear power reactors that are ready to go into operation, research reactors going on, a lot of people and a lot of money. Therefore the suspicions and concerns about Iran and enriched uranium are far more substantial than they were in the case of Iraq. Added to the fact, they have huge oil reserves that provides massive amounts of revenues for the government to further invest in the military and nucleur technology.

So, yeah. Ayatollah is a bigger threat to us than Iraq. And to add to it, Irans intentions are clear. There anti-israeli propaganda, Tehrans funding of terrorism and there nucleur ambitions are staring at us straight in the face. It doesnt take intelligence to see that, either. The Americans made the whole iraq thing up. Iran is for real.

The US made Iraq a threat, thanks to there amazingly informed intelligence services. Did anyone think to check under saddams bed? Maybe he was hiding the nucleur missiles there.

So why did the US attack Iraq then? Both Bush's and Clinton spent an inordinate amount of time dedicated to removing Saddam while Iran was mostly overlooked. It appears that all the men in charge and with the greatest intel disagree with your assessment. Can you explain why they all disagree with you?

You'll also note that the Iranian need for nuclear energy was affirmed by the U.S. administration when Iran was a steadfast ally (and possibly under Khatami, if I recall correctly), but suddenly disappeared under Ahmadinejad.

That's because Ahmademontard is bat**** crazy and talks abou driving his neighbors into the sea....just sayin'.

So why did the US attack Iraq then? Both Bush's and Clinton spent an inordinate amount of time dedicated to removing Saddam while Iran was mostly overlooked. It appears that all the men in charge and with the greatest intel disagree with your assessment. Can you explain why they all disagree with you?

Who knows?
I'd personally go for 3 options.

Saddam was going to withdraw from dollar
Oil
Revenge.

Take your pick

Who knows?
I'd personally go for 3 options.

Saddam was going to withdraw from dollar
huh?

wah? who's oil? Saudi oil? Iraq oil? Have we taken Iraqi oil? Opps that option goes out the window.

:roll: if we are going to make absurd statements like this why don't you put a cherry on top and claim it was all due to a lost poker game between the leaders of the secret world order. :lol:

Take your pick
You didn't exactly elaborate. The truth is nearly any alternative answer when examined is so ridiculous and so unsubstantiated its laughable. That's why iraq war critics point fingers and brand people as liars rather than support alternative answers.

The Iranian Oil Bourse[1] (Persian: بورس نفت ایران) International Oil Bourse,[2] Iran Petroleum Exchange or Oil Bourse in Kish[3] (IOB; the official English language name is unclear) is a commodity exchange which opened on February 17, 2008,[4][5][6][3]. It was created by cooperation between Iranian ministries and other state and private institutions. The IOB is intended as an oil bourse for petroleum, petrochemicals and gas in various currencies, primarily the euro and Iranian rial and a basket of other major currencies.

Iranian oil bourse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Saddam was threatening to join this.

Really? When has he said that?

Don't be obtuse. I am sure you read the news. Actually...wait...scratch that. You probably don't considering some of your positions here on this forum.

Last edited:
I think Saddam was threatening to join this.

You think?

How would this be so bad for the US that invasion was needed?

How much oil do we get from Iran and Iraq? (None or very little)

So iran and iraq would get over their differences? That seems to fly in the face of their consistant rivalries.

Because I would like to think something happened because it fits my partisan perspective, it most certainly happened!

**** that "evidence" crap.

You think?

How would this be so bad for the US that invasion was needed?

It would take one of the major importers of oil off the dollar. And that would be really bad news for us here in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom