• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Khatami 'pulls out of Iran race'

Laila

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Khatami 'pulls out of Iran race'

Iran's former president Mohammad Khatami is to withdraw his candidacy from the country's June presidential election, the BBC understands.

Mr Khatami was president of Iran from 1997-2005 and was succeeded by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a conservative.

Mr Ahmadinejad is expected to stand for re-election.

An unnamed ally did not give a reason for the withdrawal, and neither did he name the candidate whom Mr Khatami would be supporting.

Mr Khatami was the most liberal president since the revolution.

But he entered this campaign reluctantly and unenthusiastically, says the BBC's Jon Leyne in Tehran, and it soon became clear that many of those in power in Iran did not want him to return as president. One city prevented Mr Khatami from campaigning with the excuse that it would cause traffic jams.

His withdrawal therefore comes as no surprise, says our correspondent, and Mr Khatami is now expected to endorse former Prime Minister Mir Hossein Mousavi.

The decision also leaves Mr Ahmadinejad in a stronger position, our correspondent adds.

Well, i guess we'll be welcoming Ahmadinejad for another 4 years

I wonder if he was threatened to withdraw from the race

masallah now we're screwed.

Another four years of Mr A is bound to see Iran get ripped to shreds, or us get ripped to shreds.

Last edited:
Lol Laila's a WOW addict.

PS: I smell corruption. Kahatami's withdrawal is suspicious enough.

Last edited:
masallah now we're screwed.

LOL
We were screwed to begin with :/

The pull out is very suspicious, i think he was forced out tbh.

Lol, play warcraft too? =D

LOL
We were screwed to begin with :/

The pull out is very suspicious, i think he was forced out tbh.

That or he took up an offer for a check with large numbers on it :mrgreen:

Chances are he was threatened though, and no sorry, i dont play WOW :rofl

That or he took up an offer for a check with large numbers on it :mrgreen:

Chances are he was threatened though, and no sorry, i dont play WOW :rofl

Well, i'd take the money too so i don't blame him lol

You should try it, it's very good :cool:

Well, i'd take the money too so i don't blame him lol

You should try it, it's very good :cool:

Wouldnt we all. Id take any amount of money, anything, if it meant i didnt have to inherit Irans problems, including all there sanctions and non-existing diplomatic relations with the west.

PS: You have alot of time on your hands for a professor ;)

If the biography reads true that is :mrgreen:

PS: You have alot of time on your hands for a professor ;)

If the biography reads true that is :mrgreen:

Not a professor yet, student =D

If i was a professor, i would have lost my job by now lol

Interesting that Ahmadinejad is still favored. I've heard many reports that not only has he been unpopular with the general populace, but he's caused friction with the Guardian Council as well.

A possible beneficial side effect of his presidency, is that he may have actually weakened some of the power of the Gaurdian Council and strengthened the role of the president. So just maybe it could be seen as a wedge that could benefit a more moderate candidate later on.

Of course, I've been hoping that he would lose at the next opportunity and I still hold out hope.

The only difference between Khatami and Ahmawhatevr is Khatami does what Ahmawhateevr does mellower.

Instead of shouting he will exterminate the Jews he sends you a nice letter saying he will exterminate the Jews.

"moderate"

The BBC calls Hamas and Hezbollah liberal minded......

Get a kick out of people who think the Iranian people get to vote for anyone but those the Supreme Leader and Guardian Council allow them to vote for.
Its very similar (least in "election" process) to that of the USSR and most Communist states..there is the facade of elections but your only voting for the Party/Clerics choices...
IF nobody voted the same people would be "elected".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom