• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama calls for halt to Gitmo prosecutions

Joby

Reactor Janitor
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba (CNN) -- In one of his first acts in office, President Obama has ordered the U.S. government to suspend prosecutions of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay for 120 days, a military spokesman said Tuesday.

Papers filed at the U.S. prison camp said the request is made "in the interest of justice and at the direction of the president of the United States." It seeks a delay in proceedings until May 20.

"The judges will receive the requests and review them, and we anticipate a ruling soon," said Cmdr. Jeffrey Gordon, a Defense Department spokesman.

Tuesday's directive was issued verbally through Defense Secretary Bob Gates, according to a military spokesman who requested anonymity.

Obama calls for halt to Gitmo prosecutions - CNN.com

So far, so good :cool:

Now all he has to decide is what to do with all those who are incarcerated there.
Does he release them, free them to resume their terrorism at least those who are guilty?
Be interesting to see what he does.

I hope Obama has a deeper strategy then merely appeasing the ignorant mob with useless actions such as this. It accomplishes nothing; an illusion of progress.

The call is simply putting Gitmo on hiatus until the administration gets their goals with the place worked out. In and of itself it's nothing, but it's not supposed to be. It is a stepping stone to something, ideally.

My personal view is that if there is someone there who has blood on their hands, or much more importantly planned attacks on American civilians, we should have the Syrians or the Iraqis beat the **** out of them for us. It keeps the blood of our hands, and besides they have got to have more people qualified at that type of thing. ****, over there they only way you're getting waterboarded is if they like you.

Nothing like a lil Hope in a Terrorists heart.

All grins from Moscow to Osama's cave.

The USSR ran Carter around like the joke he was. Obama will be on a permanent treadmill with multiple powers in the world cashing in.

A good start.

As for the "left" comment screaming for trials. It was not the left, it was whole planet.

Also, the "left" has been saying that to try them or release them. And that is on top of providing evidence that they were just remotely guilty of what the Bush administration claimed they were.

It amazes me that Americans, especially the hardcore right wingers, still think that the people held at Gitmo were or are terrorists. A HUGE majority of the people there have been proven not to be, and even of the remaining people held there, there is at best considerable doubt about the evidence that the former Bush administration supposedly claims to have, since not even the accused are allowed to see the evidence!

And when we finally do get to see the evidence we find out things like, the Bush adminstration claims a 14 year old is a terrorist, and was part of an Al Q cell when he was 8 years old.. in London. Or that the driver of Osama Bin laden was a not the big terrorist, but an employee and that he is not convicted on terrorism, but gun running basicly, and is released with time served............

Or the Afghani taxi driver released after 2 years because he was accused by a business rival of being taliban/al q, arrested, carted off to Gitmo to rot for 2 years, while this business rival took over his business.

Gitmo has been a dark stain on American history, just as dark as segrigation, slavery and the internment of the Japanese during WW2.

A good start.
As for the "left" comment screaming for trials. It was not the left, it was whole planet.
Hyperbole.

Also, the "left" has been saying that to try them or release them. And that is on top of providing evidence that they were just remotely guilty of what the Bush administration claimed they were.
Not everyone captured by US (or anyone else's) military has a right to trial.

It amazes me that Americans, especially the hardcore right wingers, still think that the people held at Gitmo were or are terrorists. A HUGE majority of the people there have been proven not to be
Unsupportable.

I'm not taking this as good news. Not because I think these people should be detained without trial (I mean, they should get trials and such, we've just rigged the deck against them). But because I suspect Obama will close down Gitmo only to open up a Gitmo II that we'll never know about. I think the government learned a lesson from this...don't let the People find out.

A HUGE majority of the people there have been proven not to be
Link? Support?

and even of the remaining people held there, there is at best considerable doubt about the evidence that the former Bush administration supposedly claims to have, since not even the accused are allowed to see the evidence!
Undefendable speculation

And when we finally do get to see the evidence we find out things like, the Bush adminstration claims a 14 year old is a terrorist, and was part of an Al Q cell when he was 8 years old.. in London.
link?
Why can't a 14 year old be a terrorist?

Or that the driver of Osama Bin laden was a not the big terrorist, but an employee and that he is not convicted on terrorism, but gun running basicly, and is released with time served............
and?

Or the Afghani taxi driver released after 2 years because he was accused by a business rival of being taliban/al q, arrested, carted off to Gitmo to rot for 2 years, while this business rival took over his business.
link?

Gitmo has been a dark stain on American history, just as dark as segrigation, slavery and the internment of the Japanese during WW2.
Gitmo has been a strawman for all sorts of anti-US specious propaganda. The truth will set you free. :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom