• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats may try to seat Franken

Harshaw

Filmmaker ● Lawyer ● Patriot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Even though he has not been certified the winner, and a legal contest is sure to follow.

Senate Dems May Try To Seat Franken

Excerpt:

New York Sen. Charles Schumer seemed to endorse this move Sunday, saying the race was settled and that Franken had won the election.

"While there are still possible legal issues that will run their course, there is no longer any doubt who will be the next Senator from Minnesota," Schumer said. "With the Senate set to begin meeting on Tuesday to address the important issues facing the nation, it is crucial that Minnesota's seat not remain empty, and I hope this process will resolve itself as soon as possible."

Y'know, there was a certified Presidential winner in Florida in 2000, by mid-November. :roll:

Even though he has not been certified the winner, and a legal contest is sure to follow.

Senate Dems May Try To Seat Franken

Excerpt:

Y'know, there was a certified Presidential winner in Florida in 2000, by mid-November. :roll:

That will be filibustered, and if not, I can see a court case here. Franken may have won, but until the legal challenge is settled, seating Franken would be illegal.

Of course, but hardly the point.

I thought Franken was certified as the winner on Monday? If I'm mistaken about that, then I agree that he shouldn't be seated yet. However, that also shouldn't give the Republicans a blank check to file challenge after challenge to prevent him from taking his seat for as long as possible. If Coleman is still filing challenges in February and nothing has substantially changed, then I think Franken should be seated.

I thought Franken was certified as the winner on Monday? If I'm mistaken about that, then I agree that he shouldn't be seated yet. However, that also shouldn't give the Republicans a blank check to file challenge after challenge to prevent him from taking his seat for as long as possible. If Coleman is still filing challenges in February and nothing has substantially changed, then I think Franken should be seated.

It was certified, but he cannot be seated until he gets a "final election certificate," which can't issue until the challenges are resolved:

Minnesota law doesn't allow the issuance of a final election certificate until legal challenges are settled, meaning the state will be represented only by Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a Democrat, when Congress convenes on Tuesday.

Franken Certified Winner Of Minn. Recount, Democrat Takes Slim Victory In Senate Recount But Rival Norm Coleman Vows Legal Challenge - CBS News

Also, wtf is Schumer talking about? I'd love to know the pressing matters facing the nation that it's absolutely crucial to have the junior Senator from MN there to address. :roll: The Senate has managed to get along despite plenty of its members being too ill to show up for months or years, so I doubt it's going to fall apart in the next couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom