• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is TV Land's decision to stop airing Dukes of Hazard an over-reaction?

Is TV Land's decision to stop airing Dukes of Hazard an over-reaction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Is TV Land's decision to stop airing Dukes of Hazard an over-reaction to the Confederate flag debate?
TV Land Pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' Reruns

TV Land Pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' Reruns - ABC News

Quote from article:
"TV Land's decision comes amid a growing national debate over the use of the Confederate flag, which was painted on the roof of The General Lee, the orange Dodge Charger driven by the Duke boys."
Personally, I never liked the show. I always thought it was dumb, and I was in the prime demographic when it was new. That being said, it'll be interesting to see if it comes back after the dust settles over the Confederate flag issue.

Note: This thread is regarding the pulling of the show only, not the overall flag issue in general. We already have other threads for that. Please use those threads if you want to debate that.

Is TV Land's decision to stop airing Dukes of Hazard an over-reaction to the Confederate flag debate?

Personally, I never liked the show. I always thought it was dumb, and I was in the prime demographic when it was new. That being said, it'll be interesting to see if it comes back after the dust settles over the Confederate flag issue.

It's not merely an "overreaction," it's a ridiculous reaction...period. Television producers couldn't have missed the point behind the Confederate Flag controversy more if they tried.

I would really hate it if they attempted to scrub our history in other old classics. There's plenty that's abominable in movies and television from our past, Gone with the Wind, nothwithstanding, as well as some of the most jaw-droppingly racist scenes imaginable in Marx Brothers and Bugs Bunny cartoons. They're completely unrepresentative of present mores, but they're awful, they're brilliant, they're hilarious and they're a part of where we once were.

Wanting to move forward does not mean whitewashing our past. Trying to create a false narrative of innocence in our history completely misses the point of evolving and bettering ourselves as a society.

Note: This thread is regarding the pulling of the show only, not the overall flag issue in general. We already have other threads for that. Please use those threads if you want to debate that.

Simple business decision on the part of the network. Taking action ahead of the curve before they could be labeled as either racist or unfeeling by the current wave of political correctness.

No middle ground with this one. Either one publicly shows outrage against the Stars and Bars.....or you are a blatant racist. And nobody wants that label.

Sort of sad. Sort of absurd. Just the "outrage of the moment".

It is an overreaction, the flag may be racist/pro-slavery (to some extend) and is a sign of betrayal of the USA (for Pete's sake, they took up arms against the United States of America), but I loved them Duke boys. With Boss Hog, Roscoe P. Coltrane, Daisy Duke (wow), etc. etc. it was a real fun show.

Yes, it's an overreaction. It's the media engaging in self-censorship, which leads to public ignorance on controversial issues and does more harm than good.

As long as we agree that the company, as an independent business providing a service, can decide the content of that service; I think they were overreacting by pulling the show.

I didn't watch it when it was on television. I was a pretty silly show IMO. However, I knew people who did who would probably be among those who still watch it today. All the company has done is piss those people off and perhaps lost their viewership, in the hope the publicity will bring in more viewers than they lose.

I doubt anyone really cared one way or the other about the flag on the car. Not until this stunt anyway.

TV Land Pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' Reruns

TV Land Pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' Reruns - ABC News

Quote from article:
"TV Land's decision comes amid a growing national debate over the use of the Confederate flag, which was painted on the roof of The General Lee, the orange Dodge Charger driven by the Duke boys."

f.jpg

"Over reaction" is an understatement.

It may well be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of a company doing for the sake of political correctness.

No- Time to send that Racist symbol to a museum.

It was an unbelievably silly decision made for an incredibly ludicrous reason.

The show was never remotely about racism.

I think removing or altering artistic media to satisfy changing political correctness is wrong, just as it was/is wrong to be altering Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. My solution would be to simply handle it the same way other potentially offensive media is handled, with a warning at the beginning. "Be Advised: Some viewers may find the following material offensive." I've seen it for violence and sexual content and explosive language, why not this.

Why do you assume it wasn't offensive that whole time?

Because if it was then their would have been 36 years of controversy about the Dukes of Hazzards.

Because if it was then their would have been 36 years of controversy about the Dukes of Hazzards.

Putting up with something isn't the same as being okay with it. People put up with offensive things all the time until they say "enough's enough."

I think removing or altering artistic media to satisfy changing political correctness is wrong, just as it was/is wrong to be altering Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. My solution would be to simply handle it the same way other potentially offensive media is handled, with a warning at the beginning. "Be Advised: Some viewers may find the following material offensive." I've seen it for violence and sexual content and explosive language, why not this.

i'm with you on this

advise viewers at the beginning of [any] show if it may be offensive for any number of reasons. this is done in a lot of cases D for drugs, S for sex, L for language, A for adult themes

then the viewer can choose if they want to see the show

it was before my time but i've sen a number of episodes, even if you think the flag is offensive, i don't see how that overrides the entire rest of the show and warrants a total removal of it from the network

its a slippery slope

if we are going to go back and pull all shows ever made that could possibly offend someone, then there's not going to be anything left on tv

how many people were still even watching it on tv land?

if it offends you, just don't go to the tv land channel, or just don't watch this particular show. and yes, tv land is a company and they are of course well within their rights to pull the show if they thought they were going to take a PR hit.

just the mindset of "that offends me - it should be off the air" instead of "that offends me - i won't watch that show" that is concerning to me

Definitely stupid. The show had nothing to do with the Confederacy.

The fact that it was about two criminals selling moonshine and driving dangerously never seemed to bother anyone either.

The fact that it was about two criminals selling moonshine and driving dangerously never seemed to bother anyone either.
Oh that's just good old southern fun. :lol:

Actually Uncle Jessie was a REFORMED moon-shiner. :D

The boys didn't run shine anymore.

The show was about fast cars, hot chicks, and a comically farcical view of life in the deep rural South.

Never had anything to do with racism.

Hell I've known black guys that own a "General Lee" car complete with Rebel flag...

Actually Uncle Jessie was a REFORMED moon-shiner. :D

The boys didn't run shine anymore.

The show was about fast cars, hot chicks, and a comically farcical view of life in the deep rural South.

Never had anything to do with racism.

Hell I've known black guys that own a "General Lee" car complete with Rebel flag...

I used to love the show but it has been well over 20 years since I saw an episode so my memory is a bit rusty. Except Daisy. I remember EVERYTHING about Daisy.

I used to love the show but it has been well over 20 years since I saw an episode so my memory is a bit rusty. Except Daisy. I remember EVERYTHING about Daisy.

Well of COURSE you do! :D

the lovely long-legged gal that gave us that wonderful item of clothing known as 'Daisy Duke Shorts'. :lamo

Major overreaction. And yes, it is a stupid show. But then again, they still run Gilligan's Island.

This conversation reminds me of when 'good ol' boys' long for the good ol' days. I know lotsa folks who don't recall those days with an over fondness once outside their immediate family. They don't fondly remember separate but equal, or restrictive voter rights in the wonderful land of Dixie.

I'd opine for 30 some years there were bigger fish to fry than a lame TV show when it comes to offensive. Funny how many who defend the show and puzzle over why it wasn't called to task earlier don't like it, or apparently watched it. There in is a part of the puzzle on why the show didn't draw attention, no one watched it or thought much of it! :lol:

Do you guys remember 'Amos and Andy'? A very popular and offensive show that none of you have seen because it was pulled very early, most likely before you were born. The show had many defenders of the series, it was 'tradition' from the old minstrel performers from the South.

It isn't whitewashing to remove certain shows from the air. The factual record will still be there. Should we return Amos and Andy to the Nick at Night?

Whitewashing our past is very different- like the historical record of the Golden Spike on the first transcontinental railroad shows absolutely none of the thousands of Chinese who helped build the most dangerous part of the railroad- hence the term "You ain't got a Chinaman's chance!" THAT might be dated now due to being racial offensive.

But whitewashing goes back to our very beginning. There was no second Thanksgiving- mostly due to the natives having been decimated by small pox and forced from their lands. most TV/movies/history books tend to leave that part out...imagine that.

Way I see it, those least offended are those the era in question were the least affected by it... :peace

Back
Top Bottom