• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Polygamous Montana Trio Applies For Wedding License

"My second wife Christine, who I'm not legally married to, she's put up with my crap for a lot of years. She deserves legitimacy," he said.

And herein lies the folly of this whole debacle. The idea that the state should in any way be the arbiter of what a "legitimate" marriage consists of is absurd. If we're just going to let anyone and everyone determine fr themselves what is and is not "legitimate" then why bother having marriage laws at all?

I suspect that after the crazies and the activists and the crazy activists are done with this thing the whole concept of marriage is going to be stricken from law....which, when you get right down to it, is fine with me.

And herein lies the folly of this whole debacle. The idea that the state should in any way be the arbiter of what a "legitimate" marriage consists of is absurd. If we're just going to let anyone and everyone determine fr themselves what is and is not "legitimate" then why bother having marriage laws at all?

I suspect that after the crazies and the activists and the crazy activists are done with this thing the whole concept of marriage is going to be stricken from law....which, when you get right down to it, is fine with me.

Not that I personally support polygamy, but strangely there is quite a bit of supporting evidence for this in the Bible. Not to mention it's existence and acceptance in other major religions around the world. Just mentioning it.

Nope. Bigots on the left will try to stop this from happening, but their bigotry will fail. When my sister and I show up looking for a marriage license is when their heads will explode.

I'm a "bigot on the left" and I don't give a **** who you marry or how many people you marry as long as they are of legal age and carry human DNA. It's none of my business if one of you hicks from Mississippi want to marry your sister-aunt. It's the southern conservative states and Mormon strongholds (also conservative) where cousin ****ing, animal ****ing and polygamy occur the most anyway, so consider it a win for the south.

Well unlike gay marriage, which is supported by the majority of Americans and most Americans know a gay person, polygamy is a uniquely conservative Christian issue.

Along with incestuous relationships, and relations between humans and animals, these are unique family set-ups that mostly apply to conservatives in the "car on the lawn states." Most Americans don't know on a personal level incestuous or polygamous couples, therefore the fight for their rights won't be in the forefront of American politics.

Since it is a uniquely conservative issue and phenomenon, conservatives will have to chalk up the arguments for pro-incest and pro-polygamous marriages. You can start with the OT, which is a unique selling point among our nations most religious and might win you sympathy in the courts.

Restrictions on marriage might very well disappear, but the benefits offered aren't going to.

Restrictions on marriage might very well disappear, but the benefits offered aren't going to.

that is discrimination I thought you hated discrimination.

I'm a "bigot on the left" and I don't give a **** who you marry or how many people you marry as long as they are of legal age and carry human DNA. It's none of my business if one of you hicks from Mississippi want to marry your sister-aunt. It's the southern conservative states and Mormon strongholds (also conservative) where cousin ****ing, animal ****ing and polygamy occur the most anyway, so consider it a win for the south.

Native Americans practiced it, now aren't you ashamed of your bigotry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy_in_North_America#History_of_polygamy

Well unlike gay marriage, which is supported by the majority of Americans and most Americans know a gay person, polygamy is a uniquely conservative Christian issue.

Along with incestuous relationships, and relations between humans and animals, these are unique family set-ups that mostly apply to conservatives in the "car on the lawn states." Most Americans don't know on a personal level incestuous or polygamous couples, therefore the fight for their rights won't be in the forefront of American politics.

Since it is a uniquely conservative issue and phenomenon, conservatives will have to chalk up the arguments for pro-incest and pro-polygamous marriages. You can start with the OT, which is a unique selling point among our nations most religious and might win you sympathy in the courts.

Im pretty sure every major branch of Christianity is against polygamy, nice smear attempt though

Agree, I don't see how it could be...however don't underestimate the SCOTUS in their ability to legislate from the bench.

They will find a way to bend the law to suit their whims, don't you doubt that

Serious question:

Who cares if three people are married, and why?

Now the Mormons can return to their everlasting covenant of polygamy, which was outlawed on the condition of Utah statehood.

What a hateful person you are.

Sad...

So that's what marriage is all about? It's just about a bunch of legal "benefits"? Then why was everyone so opposed to civil unions?

Serious question:

I don't. Don't care one bit.

That doesn't stop me from being cynical about how our courts will see things. They're gonna do whatever the hell they want, one way or the other. They are our robed overlords, after all.

Why not. How about marrying your horse?

Well, when the ladies got together and talked about each other's spouses, that would certainly answer the question as to who was most hung.

Serious question:

Just so you know about polygamy though....

There is no reason to limit it to three

Typically polygamous societies favor the wealthy. Imagine a society in which Donald Trump is married to 5000 models and Miss America contestants, while lower-income young men typically go unmarried. That is how it would go down.

Don't be ridiculous.

I know three polygamous/polyamorous families.

Two are non-religious. The other is pagan.

Fail for you.

Just so you know about polygamy though....

There is no reason to limit it to three

Typically polygamous societies favor the wealthy. Imagine a society in which Donald Trump is married to 5000 models and Miss America contestants, while lower-income young men typically go unmarried. That is how it would go down.

I think after Obama leaves office he's gonna divorce Moochelle and marry Bruce Jenner.

Don't be ridiculous.

I know three polygamous/polyamorous families.

Two are non-religious. The other is pagan.

Fail for you.

Oh, for sure. And I'm rich and have a mansion on my own private island. Claiming to know so and so on the internet is meaningless on a political forum discussion of ideas. Fail for you.

Back
Top Bottom