• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australian couple threatens divorce if same sex marriage becomes a reality? WTH?

Would you divorce your spouse to protest gay marriage?

• yes, even if that means not honoring my vows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, I think it is important enough, even if I sin to do so

• yes, even if I have children, it would be worth it

• Total voters

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
And with WTH, I mean what the hell ;)

Here is the story, 2 Australians who have been married for 10 years say they will divorce if the state allows same sex couples to get married.

If you want to learn more about it, the story can be found here:

Australian Couple Says They'll Get Divorced If Same-Sex Marriage Is Legalized

But I do not understand them and maybe someone who is a Christian can explain it to me.

They married in the Baptist church in Australia, in a religious ceremony in which they stood before the congregation and God and promised to stay together until death parts them.

So, if the state allows gays and lesbians to marry, how does this invalidate your own religious promise in front of God, your minister and the congregation in such a manner that divorcing is the only option forward (which, and I have checked, the Baptist Church of Australia sees as a sin).

And I just do not understand. They claim to be awesome Christians who hold their vows and marriage is the highest regard, but they want to commit a sin just to make a point?

And how about the other sins?

Living together and having sex outside of a marriage?

Maybe having children out of wedlock?

Are they not becoming sinners just to make a political point? How are you going to step up to the pearly gates and say that you got divorced just to make a point?

Isn't that throwing away your own personal relation with god, your pastor and your friends, family and the rest of the congregation who you belong too? Is becoming a sinner for a purely political point really worth all of that.

I just do not understand, but as said, I an atheist and I have gone to religious wedding. Attended because of the friendship and/or love I felt for these people, but the lighting to the candles, the praying in front of the altar, the separate prayer to the virgin Mary, the saying of the vows and the exchanging of the rings, are they not all meant to be joined in marriage eternally?

So please, if someone could untangle this weird situation, I would be really appreciative.

And no, this is not a slight against religious marriage or Christians/Muslims/Jewish/Hindi individuals but an honest confusion on my part how people can throw that religious marriage commitment out of the door, and live in sin, for nothing more than making a political point of view?

For me it is easy, I am not married and I do not disapprove of gay marriage.

It probably has more to do with getting 'crowd funding' than religion.

It probably has more to do with getting 'crowd funding' than religion.

I'm married and I could give a crap about gay marriage.

I must admit that I am completely taken aback. Are you saying Australians get married? To each other? ****ing hell! :eek:

I must admit that I am completely taken aback. Are you saying Australians get married? To each other? ****ing hell! :eek:

That is a shocker isn't it. Until today I believed they chugged beer until they were unable to walk straight and as soon as they met someone of the other sex they would build themselves a shack and waited for the kangaroo to bring them a baby in their pouch ;)

And yes, I have Australian family :lol:

:lol: Yes, Australia does have an idiot or two living here!

They won SBS's douche of the week award and have been the butt of many jokes here the last week or so.

:lol: Yes, Australia does have an idiot or two living here!

They won SBS's douche of the week award and have been the butt of many jokes here the last week or so.

Well, I can truly understand that. If you are so intolerant of other people being married that you threaten divorce, you are seriously morally challenged. Don't get me wrong, even though I think it is not a problem I am not saying that other people should not think that gay marriage is wrong. But there is :2mad: angry and :cuckoo: crazy, and this couple is :cuckoo: crazy

No and it's on of the most dumb things I have ever heard of.

I am calling right now that the husband is in the closet. The sad thing is his wife was dumb enough to fall for it.

Until today I believed they chugged beer until they were unable to walk straight and as soon as they met someone of the other either sex they would build themselves a shack and waited for the kangaroo to bring them a baby in their pouch ;)

In light of this new info, and to emphasize this couple's righteous indignation, I have corrected your post.

In light of this new info, and to emphasize this couple's righteous indignation, I have corrected your post.

Normally maybe, but with this couple they claim they are anti gay marriage 110% so he will most likely not link up with someone of the other sex but maybe that is why he is divorcing his wife so he can marry his boyfriend.

That is a shocker isn't it. Until today I believed they chugged beer until they were unable to walk straight and as soon as they met someone of the other sex they would build themselves a shack and waited for the kangaroo to bring them a baby in their pouch ;)

Normally maybe, but with this couple they claim they are anti gay marriage 110% so he will most likely not link up with someone of the other sex but maybe that is why he is divorcing his wife so he can marry his boyfriend.

The outcome of this scenario is probably dependent----as referenced in your first post--- on the amount of beer chugged and his ability to "walk straight".;)

None of the choices suit me.

No, because I am more than happy for gays to be able to marry. And besides that, how in the hell does that do anything other than make my own life more difficult?

Logic: this couple lacks it.

Someone should tell the bright couple that by filing for a divorce they actually are recognizing the government's regulation of marriage.

Here is the story, 2 Australians who have been married for 10 years say they will divorce if the state allows same sex couples to get married.

So they will turn their backs on everything they believe in because of SSM? :lol: What idiots.

It distances the fact that they had the same last name and same parents to those that do not know their history... ask spud.

So they will turn their backs on everything they believe in because of SSM? :lol: What idiots.

Yup, they think that giving up on their marriage is the reasonable response to gay marriage. They married in a baptist church. They are not turning their back on state recognized marriage, they are turning their back on their own churches marriage license and blessing.

Stupid IMHO, that is cutting off your nose to spite your face. That is just nonsense.

I'm married and I don't plan to divorce my husband for any reason.

I support the idea of anyone who is of legal age getting married. Marry your brother, your partner, 6 women....it isn't my business and it shouldn't be anyone else's.

That said, if they want to divorce for any reason, that's up to them. Not my business.

I'm married and I don't plan to divorce my husband for any reason.

I support the idea of anyone who is of legal age getting married. Marry your brother, your partner, 6 women....it isn't my business and it shouldn't be anyone else's.

That said, if they want to divorce for any reason, that's up to them. Not my business.

Sure, if they want a divorce, go for it.

But to go to the media and, to some extent morally blackmail society, by such a stupid intention, is just insane IMHO.

People divorce for loads of reasons. My mom was divorced twice for proper reasons, this is not a grounds for divorce IMHO.

No, I would not divorce if same sex marriage becomes a reality. To be honest, I would consider anyone that would as bat **** crazy.

I think this couple was just looking for an excuse to get divorced. They probably hated living with each other but couldnt admit it to themselves so they needed an outside reason to finally cut the knot.

I think this couple was just looking for an excuse to get divorced. They probably hated living with each other but couldnt admit it to themselves so they needed an outside reason to finally cut the knot.

Maybe they live in a very conservative circle of friends and think this is the best way to get away with divorcing each other. You know, make it look like they are doing it for the good of their community whilst they in fact just want to marry someone else (or live on their own for a while).

Nothing to protest .. at this point in time, and in this particular area.
So, hell NO ! But my sympathies to the homosexual arena .. always a bad place to be .. with so many haters and fearers .. or so it seems ..
Actually, the wrong ones get the attention .. thanks to our sick media ..

Back
Top Bottom