• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

THe European Union

Your thoughts on the EU?

• Total voters

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Just wondering what you guys think of the EU. Personally I'm not a fan as I view the leaders of the EU wanting to form a European super state and take away the nation states of Europe anatomy.

For as interconnected that Europe is right now, and how that will only ever increase, it doesn't make sense to continue to subdivide Europe into their own nation states.

Just wondering what you guys think of the EU. Personally I'm not a fan as I view the leaders of the EU wanting to form a European super state and take away the nation states of Europe anatomy.

As far as I know, the European Union has been kind enough to leave Europeans' anatomy intact, unless they are amputees. Or eunuchs.

Considering that Europe used to be an utter hell of war after war after war after war after war after war after war...

Yeah. I'll take the imperfect EU any day of the week as a protector of the highest standards of living on the planet.

As far as I know, the European Union has been kind enough to leave Europeans' anatomy intact, unless they are amputees. Or eunuchs.

Expect the whole unlimited immigration under the EU.

I wonder if the states which made up the original USA thought similar things.

I personally don't know if its' good or bad.

Bad idea, economically. Multiple WILDLY different cultures, forced to use the SAME currency, but WITHOUT central control over monetary policy.

That's just crazy, right there.

judging by this, Europe might be better off with some kind of union instead of fighting over borders.

The EU is Europe's business. Let the electorates in European countries decide whether to participate or not.

The EU has been very benificial to Europe, economically and politically, for most of the second half of the 20th Century. The problem is that for some of its promotors the EU has become a goal in and of itself, rather than a tool to improve the economic development and growth in the member countries. The EU has expanded too fast territorially (especially Bulgaria and Romania came in much too soon) and it should simply stop further accession talks for the next few decades (except if certain developed members of the European Economic Area such as Norway or Switzerland want to join, which is very unlikely). It should also recognize that there is a limit beyond which it can't go, i.e. not entertain crazy ideas about Turkish or Ukrainian membership for example.
Even more problematic than its too great territorial expansion has been the overreach in new areas where the EU seeks to replace the member states. The EU urgently needs to return to its original focus and essential rol in the economic field (single market, trade talks with the rest of the world, competition policies, energy policy, ...) and stop trying to be a super-state that claims a role in all aspects of society.

So does the US... you wanna stop that too?

The US is one country. The EU is not a country.

That being said, the free traffic of persons, goods and capital throughout the EU is one of the main foundations and I think it must be preserved. That doesn't mean that common sense measures against benefits tourism or other abuses can't be used. That is perfectly possible within the existing framework.

The US is one country. The EU is not a country.

Well the US is a republic, with individual states... which is closer to what the EU is. Dont even try to deny that. In fact I would claim that the EU is what many GOP States rights advocates wants for the US.

That being said, the free traffic of persons, goods and capital throughout the EU is one of the main foundations and I think it must be preserved. That doesn't mean that common sense measures against benefits tourism or other abuses can't be used. That is perfectly possible within the existing framework.

But there aint no freaking benefits tourism.. it is a bull**** lie by anti-EU people. If any country does allow "benefits tourism" then it is that country´s own fault as there is provisions in existing EU rules to prevent that kind of bull****.

judging by this, Europe might be better off with some kind of union instead of fighting over borders.

Clearly a continent of not much more than translators and surveyors.

Well the US is a republic, with individual states... which is closer to what the EU is. Dont even try to deny that. In fact I would claim that the EU is what many GOP States rights advocates wants for the US.

That is complete nonsense. The EU is not a country.

Good idea because it keeps Europeans from going to war with one another. Also, it strengthens our best allies against the Russians etc as the EU is pretty much the economic version of NATO.

It needs reforms because clearly, as the Greece situation demonstrates, they haven't gotten their banking system totally squared away yet.

Part of me thinks once the EU matures a bit more, they should just do away with the Euro altogether and they should just go on the dollar with us. But not until they figure out how they screwed Greece up so that kind of thing doesn't repeat

Good idea because it keeps Europeans from going to war with one another. Also, it strengthens our best allies against the Russians etc as the EU is pretty much the economic version of NATO.

It needs reforms because clearly, as the Greece situation demonstrates, they haven't gotten their banking system totally squared away yet.

Part of me thinks once the EU matures a bit more, they should just do away with the Euro altogether and they should just go on the dollar with us. But not until they figure out how they screwed Greece up so that kind of thing doesn't repeat

That is nonsensical and would turn the EU into a complete economic dependency of the US.

Considering that Europe used to be an utter hell of war after war after war after war after war after war after war...

Yeah. I'll take the imperfect EU any day of the week as a protector of the highest standards of living on the planet.

I could not have said it any better myself. Not perfect, but no better alternative available.

You mean without it we would start fighting over them again?

Too bad the way the poll is set up, it doesn't allow to easily see who among the voters lives in the EU and who doesn't. I live in the EU and voted for failing (actually failed if I could) experiment.

The EU is flawed because of its own architecture. Monetary union without economic union is a surefire way to guarantee institutional problems.

While the European elites share much in common from Norrbotten to Andalusia, the peoples between do not. The folks at Maastricht were not acting as representatives of their nations, but of their class.

Back
Top Bottom