• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brazil blogger known for reporting on corruption found decapitated

Anomalism

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I think we can rule out suicide for this one.

Brazil blogger known for reporting on corruption found decapitated | World news | The Guardian

The decapitated body of a Brazilian blogger known for denouncing corrupt politicians has been found in a rural zone in south-eastern Minas Gerais state, police said on Wednesday. Evany José Metzker, 67, was reported missing five days before his body was found near the town of Padre Paraíso in one of Brazil’s poorest regions. “His hands were tied behind his back and his body showed signs of torture,” a police press officer said, adding that the murder was apparently motivated by Metzker’s recent investigations into child prostitution and drug trafficking. Metzker’s credit cards, a cheque book and his ID card were found near his body.

The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to be quoted by name. He said police were also looking into the possibility that the murder was a crime of passion. He would not elaborate. “It was a barbaric crime that has shocked Minas Gerais and all of Brazil,” Kerison Lopes, president of the Minas Gerais Journalists Union said. “He was decapitated, scalped and tortured.” “There is a climate of terror in the region that intimidates reporters from doing their job,” he said, adding that Metzker often received death threats. Carlos Lauria, the senior Americas programme coordinator of the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said that at least 14 Brazilian journalists have been killed since 2011 “in retaliation for their work, making Brazil a very dangerous country for journalists”. “Lethal violence against the Brazilian press is on the rise, impeding journalists from reporting critically on what is going on,” he said. “The level of violence [against journalists] in Brazil is unacceptably high.”

I feel for his family and admire his courage, but really, isn't this old news? I can't remember a time in my life when Brazil wasn't known as a dangerous place to call out corruption.

Unfortunate, and I bet we never find out much about whom is really responsible.

I feel for his family and admire his courage, but really, isn't this old news? I can't remember a time in my life when Brazil wasn't known as a dangerous place to call out corruption.

That is exactly what I thought.

In Brazil and where I am in Mexico, beheadings are quite common.

We keep hearing about consequences for actions. Well In Brazil, this is the consequence for doing what he was doing.

Back
Top Bottom