• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oil pipeline spills about 21K gallons off California coast

Anomalism

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Where is Captain Planet when you need him?

A broken pipeline spilled 21,000 gallons of crude oil into the ocean before it was shut off Tuesday, creating a slick stretching about 4 miles along the central California coastline, the U.S. Coast Guard said. Authorities responding to reports of a foul smell near Refugio State Beach around noon found a half-mile slick already formed in the ocean, Santa Barbara County Fire Capt. Dave Zaniboni said. They traced the oil to the onshore pipeline that spilled into a culvert running under the U.S. 101 freeway and into a storm drain that empties into the ocean. The pipeline was shut off about three hours later but by then the slick stretched four miles and 50 yards into the water. The 24-inch pipeline is owned by Plains All American Pipeline, which said it shut down the flow of oil and the culvert carrying the oil to the ocean was blocked. "Plains deeply regrets this release has occurred and is making every effort to limit its environmental impact," the company said in a statement.

The Coast Guard, county emergency officials and state parks officials were cleaning up the spill. Boats from the nonprofit collective Clean Seas also were providing help but were having trouble because so much of the oil was so close to the shore, Coast Guard spokeswoman Jennifer Williams said. About 850 gallons of oil have been recovered from the water, Williams said. The accident occurred on the same stretch of coastline as a 1969 spill that at the time was the largest ever in U.S. waters and is credited for giving rise to the American environmental movement. Several hundred thousand gallons spilled from a blowout on an oil platform and thousands of sea birds were killed along with many marine mammals. The stretch of coastline about 20 miles northwest of the pricey real estate of Santa Barbara still is home to offshore oil rigs and small amounts of tar and seepage regularly show up on beaches.

BP was fined $4.5 billion by US govt. Fine this culprit $4.4 billion.

Don't these people care about their product?

This is why I simply don't buy the meme that the profit motive leads to possitive outcomes. Apparently, increased profits by NOT wasting product isn't enough of a motive to spend money on upkeep and higher quality materials. Who knew, right?

I mean, if this were a restaurant, the equivalent would be to see the cooks throwing away a steak for every two they cook. That place would be outa business in a week.

Renewables!!!

Don't these people care about their product?

This is why I simply don't buy the meme that the profit motive leads to possitive outcomes. Apparently, increased profits by NOT wasting product isn't enough of a motive to spend money on upkeep and higher quality materials. Who knew, right?

I mean, if this were a restaurant, the equivalent would be to see the cooks throwing away a steak for every two they cook. That place would be outa business in a week.

It's really more like throwing out a steak for every ten thousand they cook. Math makes more sense when you do it right.

Where is Captain Planet when you need him?

A broken pipeline spilled 21,000 gallons of crude oil into the ocean before it was shut off Tuesday, creating a slick stretching about 4 miles along the central California coastline, the U.S. Coast Guard said. Authorities responding to reports of a foul smell near Refugio State Beach around noon found a half-mile slick already formed in the ocean, Santa Barbara County Fire Capt. Dave Zaniboni said. They traced the oil to the onshore pipeline that spilled into a culvert running under the U.S. 101 freeway and into a storm drain that empties into the ocean. The pipeline was shut off about three hours later but by then the slick stretched four miles and 50 yards into the water. The 24-inch pipeline is owned by Plains All American Pipeline, which said it shut down the flow of oil and the culvert carrying the oil to the ocean was blocked. "Plains deeply regrets this release has occurred and is making every effort to limit its environmental impact," the company said in a statement.

The Coast Guard, county emergency officials and state parks officials were cleaning up the spill. Boats from the nonprofit collective Clean Seas also were providing help but were having trouble because so much of the oil was so close to the shore, Coast Guard spokeswoman Jennifer Williams said. About 850 gallons of oil have been recovered from the water, Williams said. The accident occurred on the same stretch of coastline as a 1969 spill that at the time was the largest ever in U.S. waters and is credited for giving rise to the American environmental movement. Several hundred thousand gallons spilled from a blowout on an oil platform and thousands of sea birds were killed along with many marine mammals. The stretch of coastline about 20 miles northwest of the pricey real estate of Santa Barbara still is home to offshore oil rigs and small amounts of tar and seepage regularly show up on beaches.

Go out to sea and help with the clean up or something ya pirate.

Try responding to a full post.

I quoted the part that was relevant to my comment. Why not go whine in the penalty box thread you directed at me instead of polluting other threads with your irrelevant nonsense?

I quoted the part that was relevant to my comment. Why not go whine in the penalty box thread you directed at me instead of polluting other threads with your irrelevant nonsense?

Boo hoo there was an oil spill?

...because the right wing is fighting for the oil barons that want to monopolize the market!!!

No its nothing to do with the oil barons that they simply cannot deliver nearly enough electricity (either reliably or affordably) to be in any way a practical proposition

I guess that's the unintended consequence of refusing a land based pipeline.

I guess that's the unintended consequence of refusing a land based pipeline.

The pipeline was on land. The oil flowed into a culvert and then into the ocean. The more pipelines we have the more leaks we will get. At least this was American oil though and not the tar sands crud that is mixed with other toxic crud to get it to flow.

The pipeline was on land. The oil flowed into a culvert and then into the ocean. The more pipelines we have the more leaks we will get. At least this was American oil though.

That's a plus. It would be a shame to lose oil we had bought from someone else.

That's a plus. It would be a shame to lose oil we had bought from someone else.

The shame would be if it was oil we never owned or got to use. All we get is the pollution from that.

...because the right wing is fighting for the oil barons that want to monopolize the market!!!

I haven't had a utility bill in 19 years. These bafoons can continue to gulp up their dirty fossil fuels as they wish, I'll keep laughing at them.

Coal Oil Point seep field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This spill occurred near one of the world's largest natural oil seeps. The seeps produces somewhere between 3-17k gallons of crude into the Santa Barbara Channel everyday. So this spill is a little over 1 day's worth of natrual seepage. The world will go on.

The pipeline was on land. The oil flowed into a culvert and then into the ocean. The more pipelines we have the more leaks we will get. At least this was American oil though and not the tar sands crud that is mixed with other toxic crud to get it to flow.

then it was a pretty stupid engineering idea by CA to let that culvert lead out to the ocean.

actually no it is really because they don't work and the cost/distribution of macro-scale renewable energy is simply not there.
there are already complaints about windmill farms tearing up the landscape and killing off birds.

the not so green energy
California Solar Towers Blamed for Massive Bird Kills | Heartlander Magazine

next thing you know they will stick a global temperature monitoring device on top of that stupid tower and say there are huge spike of warming in the western US. lol.

now these towers are interfering with plane flights.

I am all for better energy technology but I think when it comes to solar, wind etc that it works better on a micro scale better than a macro scale.

http://aviationweek.com/technology/skunk-works-reveals-compact-fusion-reactor-details

this is what we should be investing in vs mythical green energy.

Last edited:
then it was a pretty stupid engineering idea by CA to let that culvert lead out to the ocean.

The culvert was for rainwater not a leaking oil pipeline.

The culvert was for rainwater not a leaking oil pipeline.

it is still a stupid idea to lead a culvert to the ocean.
now I bet they are wishing that culvert ran into a lake or something or a water reservoir.

I am sure farmers out there wish the same thing.

I am sure farmers out there wish the same thing.

Actually, after this, I am sure the farmers are glad it DOESN'T. :) The fishermen prbably wish it did, though.

Actually, after this, I am sure the farmers are glad it DOESN'T. :) The fishermen prbably wish it did, though.

true.

although if it ran into a holding pond it would be easier to contain.

Back
Top Bottom