• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oklahoma police release body camera video of deadly officer-involved shooting

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
MUSKOGEE, Okla. - Muskogee, Oklahoma police have released body camera video of a deadly officer-involved shooting last Saturday.Terence Walker, 21, was shot by Officer Chansey McMillin after a confrontation outside Old Agency Baptist Church Jan. 17 around 4 p.m., Scripps station KJRH reported.
Muskogee Police Department spokesman Cpl. Mike Mahan said McMillin was responding to a domestic call at a wedding where a man was allegedly verbally threatening to kill a woman.

Information released by Mahan Friday says witnesses at the church said Walker told the woman "he had a bullet with her name on it."
McMillin's body camera video shows the officer approaching Walker outside the church. When McMillin attempts to search Walker, Walker flees.
After a short foot chase, Walker appears to drop something, which police say is a gun. Mahan says investigators believe "the video clearly shows the suspect pointing the gun at the officer."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/oklahoma-police-release-body-camera-video-of-deadly-officer-involved-shooting

Ok, so now here is an officer involved shooting with body camera...Does it make a difference for anyone in here? Or should this guy have been allowed to run away too?

I cannot view the video, but it is a close call based on the print version. If he dropped the gun and was trying to pick it up, I would need to see if it appeared as if he was trying to point it. Sounds like maybe he was just trying to grab the evidence with his prints on it since he was running away from the officer.

I cannot view the video, but it is a close call based on the print version. If he dropped the gun and was trying to pick it up, I would need to see if it appeared as if he was trying to point it. Sounds like maybe he was just trying to grab the evidence with his prints on it since he was running away from the officer.

No, there is a point where you can clearly see him retrieve the gun, and point at the officer for a brief second and then start to run again...and was shot at that moment....It's too bad you can't view the clip, cuz that's kind of the point.

No, there is a point where you can clearly see him retrieve the gun, and point at the officer for a brief second and then start to run again...and was shot at that moment....It's too bad you can't view the clip, cuz that's kind of the point.

Yeah I will look for it on youtube. I am boycotting flashplayer right now.

Ok, so now here is an officer involved shooting with body camera...Does it make a difference for anyone in here? Or should this guy have been allowed to run away too?

I'm not sure I follow. He pointed a gun at a police officer. Run away "too?" What are you comparing this to?

I'm not sure I follow. He pointed a gun at a police officer. Run away "too?" What are you comparing this to?

What am I comparing this too? Are you serious?

What am I comparing this too? Are you serious?

Who pointed a gun at a police officer and was let go? I don't watch the news, I'm not familiar with such a case.

Who pointed a gun at a police officer and was let go? I don't watch the news, I'm not familiar with such a case.

Come on back when you what to have an honest discussion...For you that may take some time....if ever.

It shows how little time and how quickly an officer has to make a decision on wether someone is a threat. Which, to me, makes a lot of the second guessing that goes on by some inconsequential.

It shows how little time and how quickly an officer has to make a decision on wether someone is a threat. Which, to me, makes a lot of the second guessing that goes on by some inconsequential.

True...So, if we didn't have the body camera footage, how long would you think it would have taken people to start saying that this guy was just another example of black people being gunned down by the cops....? Hell, even some at the scene tried to say he had dropped his cell phone and the footage showed that to be false....

Now, all of the sudden those that were all over the Brown case are somehow mute to this one, or they play obtuse as to the connection of danger that faces our LEO's, or supposedly see nothing to talk about here.

So, I guess in a way body camera's work.

Come on back when you what to have an honest discussion...For you that may take some time....if ever.

No, I seriously don't know which "armed person who is a threat to officer" case you're talking about.

Unless you're comparing this to an unarmed person's encounter with police? Why would you expect the same response from people if one suspect was armed and the other was not?

No, I seriously don't know which "armed person who is a threat to officer" case you're talking about.

Unless you're comparing this to an unarmed person's encounter with police? Why would you expect the same response from people if one suspect was armed and the other was not?

The discussion I was trying to have is really two fold...1. This is among the first incidents out there since the use of body camera's came into play. And 2. Comparing this to the Brown case in Mo, where Brown fought the LEO for his gun, and then after running, turned and was approaching the officer again in a threatening manner, this one has similar aspects in that in both the LEO felt that at points the suspect turned toward them and presented a threat....They were shot.

Now, if you want to say that in order to debate the situation, that they must be 100% identical, then I would say that is not an honest argument because rarely are two situations the same. Or if you want to say that no one was disputing the shooting here, that isn't true either, witnesses tried to say it was a cell phone the man was reaching for....

So, anyway I hope that clears it up for you.

The discussion I was trying to have is really two fold...1. This is among the first incidents out there since the use of body camera's came into play. And 2. Comparing this to the Brown case in Mo, where Brown fought the LEO for his gun, and then after running, turned and was approaching the officer again in a threatening manner, this one has similar aspects in that in both the LEO felt that at points the suspect turned toward them and presented a threat....They were shot.

Now, if you want to say that in order to debate the situation, that they must be 100% identical, then I would say that is not an honest argument because rarely are two situations the same. Or if you want to say that no one was disputing the shooting here, that isn't true either, witnesses tried to say it was a cell phone the man was reaching for....

1. Yes, a body camera provides proof of what happened. There's a lack of trust that police accounts of incidents are accurate. There's no arguing against a camera capturing the event. Camera's protect police and the public.

2. It's not the Brown incident. Turning around and pointing a weapon is not the same as turning around "in a menacing manner" unarmed.

The discussion I was trying to have is really two fold...1. This is among the first incidents out there since the use of body camera's came into play.

No, you're wrong, BUT I'm sure you're used to that. The Dillon Taylor incident happened way before this.

Nobody complained about the Dillon Taylor shooting because the camera clearly showed that Taylor did indeed "reach for his waistband". Many ignorant fools were crying and whining about how there was no outrage about the shooting when there was no reason to be.

An armed person turning towards you and an unarmed person turning towards you present very different threats. Don't expect people to treat the shootings the same.

Additionally, there are about 37 versions of the Michael Brown shooting so how a person reacts to that shooting depends largely on which version they perceive to be accurate.

Last edited:

Did the cop shoot the dead guy before or after he fled?

The better comparison is not the Brown case but the Crawford case. In both incidents, the individual had a gun, dropped the gun while fleeing, then darted back towards the weapon.

Game over.

yes, your OP

After...he was going to be frisked, then he turned and pushed the cop and ran. As the cop was following the perp's gun fell out, and he stopped to pick it up, he then for a brief moment pointed it at the cop, and the cop shot. It's all there on the video in the OP....

Back
Top Bottom