• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

Do the veiws of ISIS represent the veiws of all Islam.

• Yes

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The idea that Muslims are comprised of one massive bloc of 1.6 million people who all think indentically is primitive at best.

nope....it's utterly ignorant to believe over a billion people think and act as one.

I think it's entirely possible to differentiate between radical fundamentalist Muslims and the rest... but i'm not sure what purpose is served by trying to strip the religious angle from the issue entirely.

as I have said before, i'm a Mormon... and there exists a sect of fundamentalist Mormons( FLDS) who are complete and utter jackholes( they don't kill anyone, though).
I'm perfectly supportive of bashing on fundamentalist Mormons, and I don't see the purpose is removing the religious angle from them either.

I had tried to ask this question in a earlier thread but I did not make my implications clear enough.

This is the earlier thread http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/214812-should-united-states-implement-racial-profiling-muslim-americans.html

My question is this: do the actions of terrorist orginazation like ISIS and al Qaeda represent the entire Islamic faith, or are we able to distinguish between the militant fanatics and the uninvolved?

All? Of course not. The notion is absurd. Most? No there, too. But, the percentage does seem to be higher than with other faiths.

nope....it's utterly ignorant to believe over a billion people think and act as one.

I think it's entirely possible to differentiate between radical fundamentalist Muslims and the rest... but i'm not sure what purpose is served by trying to strip the religious angle from the issue entirely.

as I have said before, i'm a Mormon... and there exists a sect of fundamentalist Mormons( FLDS) who are complete and utter jackholes( they don't kill anyone, though).
I'm perfectly supportive of bashing on fundamentalist Mormons, and I don't see the purpose is removing the religious angle from them either.

Are you expected to publicly condemn Warren Jeffs so that people can be assured that you yourself are not a pedophile or support pedophilia? That seems to be the issue here. That certain people expect from Muslims what is not expected of any other religious denomination dealing with its own issues. Are Catholics expected to condemn pedophilia so that we know they're not in favor of it? Are Christians expected to condemn the actions of Kony so that we know they don't support it? What about me? If I don't walk around telling people that I'm against gang violence, does that mean I support it? Nonsense. I have work to do and I keep most of my political opinions to myself and a small circle of friends.

There seems to be a ridiculous expectation that Muslims - who may not even be politically aware - have to make us feel safe by doing something about terrorism. What makes it flawed is that there is a large percentage of Muslims who may not even be aware of terrorism as a topic of discussion (because of various factors: poverty, illiteracy, lack of information etc). As such, expecting them to even care or know about what happens in the West - to the extent where they can form a political opinion - is absurd.

Are you expected to publicly condemn Warren Jeffs so that people can be assured that you yourself are not a pedophile or support pedophilia? That seems to be the issue here. That certain people expect from Muslims what is not expected of any other religious denomination dealing with its own issues. Are Catholics expected to condemn pedophilia so that we know they're not in favor of it? Are Christians expected to condemn the actions of Kony so that we know they don't support it? What about me? If I don't walk around telling people that I'm against gang violence, does that mean I support it? Nonsense. I have work to do and I keep most of my political opinions to myself and a small circle of friends.

There seems to be a ridiculous expectation that Muslims - who may not even be politically aware - have to make us feel safe by doing something about terrorism. What makes it flawed is that there is a large percentage of Muslims who may not even be aware of terrorism as a topic of discussion (because of various factors: poverty, illiteracy, lack of information etc). As such, expecting them to even care or know about what happens in the West - to the extent where they can form a political opinion - is absurd.

well, when folks go after jackhole Mormons, they generally throw all Mormons in there for flavoring.. so whether or not it's expected that i denounce the asshats, i do so anyways... it's in my best interest to do so.
what I do not expect is for anyone to to go after Jeffs and willfully ignore the religious component of his asshatery...that is an unreasonable expectation.
the sick knucklehead is doing his thing according to how he understands his religion.. so i find it acceptable to call him out along those lines.... wanna' call him him an extremist or radical Mormon.. fine by me, it's accurate, and i'm not offended whatsoever

so, in your estimation, what should happen?.. should we remove the religious component when it comes to these radical Islamists so we don't offend the non-radical Muslims?
IMO, we shouldn't.

All? Of course not. The notion is absurd. Most? No there, too. But, the percentage does seem to be higher than with other faiths.

Heya Radcen. :2wave: Agreed quite absurd and irrelevant.....is the question even framed Right?

Did the Christians have to condemn what took place with their Spanish Inquisition? Did the Christians have to condemn the heretics of their Religion that tried to hijack that religion?

Did it take 200 years for the Christians to drive out the heretics? Did it take the Hindus to chase out their heretics of Shiva? Each Major religion has had heretics and each has tried to hijack their own religion.

How long do you think it will take the Muslims to figure out what is simple and the basics?

well, when folks go after jackhole Mormons, they generally throw all Mormons in there for flavoring.. so whether or not it's expected that i denounce the asshats, i do so anyways... it's in my best interest to do so.

And yet, it's not expected of you to address or do anything about they've done. Hell, if that were the case Mitt Romney wouldn't have made it as high as presidential nominee seeing as the question of what other Mormons did never even came up on any worthwhile medium or format. Why? Because it was irrelevant to who he was as a person and rightfully so.

The standards simply aren't the same for Muslims and one has to wonder why. Why does Ahmed the sheep herder if Islamic-Hillbilly-Ville, Tajikistan have to come out of his hut and demonstrate against something which may not have any impact on his life? Why does Jalil, the fellah in Egypt who really only worries about his sheep and irrigating his fields have to deal with international islamic terrorism so that Johnny Christian in USAVille can feel alright? The answer is that they really don't have to do anything about terrorism anymore than I or you do.

Hell, just accentuating my point, there was a thread not too long ago about just how worried people were about terrorism. The overwhelming majority of the forum's members voted that they simply weren't concerned with it affecting them. Yet... we expect a group of people, composed in large part of fellahs, Asian farmers, and functionally illiterate peasants to bother about an issue that, really, we're not even sure that they're aware of. That's nonsense.

Of course not. Silly question. That would be like asking if all Americans believed in polygamy just because a few, rare offshoots of Mormonism believe in it.

My question is this: do the actions of terrorist orginazation like ISIS and al Qaeda represent the entire Islamic faith, or are we able to distinguish between the militant fanatics and the uninvolved?
Another Ridiculous Poll.

NO one ever suggested ISIS etc represents the "views of ALL Muslims/the entire faith."

This GARBAGE string is just a variant of the "All Muslims are terrorists" STRAWMAN.

At least make it a little interesting by using "Majority" or "Minority" or "nothing significant" instead of "Entire"/aka 100%!

How Frigging Nonsensical and guaranteed overwhelming and [Worthless] result.

How about for your next POS poll, "Louis Farrakhan represents ALL Blacks"?
or "ALL Blacks are criminals, Yes or No?"

Last edited:
Heya Radcen. :2wave: Agreed quite absurd and irrelevant.....is the question even framed Right?

Did the Christians have to condemn what took place with their Spanish Inquisition? Did the Christians have to condemn the heretics of their Religion that tried to hijack that religion?

Did it take 200 years for the Christians to drive out the heretics? Did it take the Hindus to chase out their heretics of Shiva? Each Major religion has had heretics and each has tried to hijack their own religion.

How long do you think it will take the Muslims to figure out what is simple and the basics?

... well... it took Christianity ...well over 1400 years for Western Christians to get over their "heretics" thing. Ever since Christianity became a state religion, a lot of people have gotten burned if they didn't tow the local church's line. Remember, Christianity expansion into new lands brought with it the subjugation and destruction of many new world "heretical" cultures. So it didn't really stop with the inquisition. It just got a new name in the new world and when it encountered new cultures. Hell, church leaders in Australia were still attacking Australian aborigines until the early 1900s. You're also forgetting that homosexuality was still very much a crime punishable by death in Christian countries up until relatively recently. You don't have to look too far and see how that culture of destroying those who don't follow Christian beliefs still exists in former colonies in Africa. Yet, Christians don't have to make a statement on any of these things for it to be understood that a rational and moral person doesn't condone these things.

To make it simpler, I don't meet a Christian and wonder whether they're in opposition or support of Joseph Kony or the KKK. I don't wonder whether they support Uganda's homophobic laws or the Westboro Baptist Church. I don't wonder whether they support Warren Jeffs or the craziness of groups like the Branch Davidians and FLDS. So why is there this obsession with Hussein the computer scientist in Idaho, coming forward against terrorism so that some people can feel safer? It's utter nonsense.

... well... it took Christianity ...well over 1400 years for Western Christians to get over their "heretics" thing. Ever since Christianity became a state religion, a lot of people have gotten burned if they didn't tow the local church's line. Remember, Christianity expansion into new lands brought with it the subjugation and destruction of many new world "heretical" cultures. So it didn't really stop with the inquisition. It just got a new name in the new world and when it encountered new cultures. Hell, church leaders in Australia were still attacking Australian aborigines until the early 1900s. You're also forgetting that homosexuality was still very much a crime punishable by death in Christian countries up until recently. You don't have to look too far and see how that culture of destroying those who don't follow Christian beliefs still exists in former colonies in Africa. Yet, Christians don't have to make a statement on any of these things for it to be understood that a rational and moral person doesn't condone these things.

To make it simpler, I don't meet a Christian and wonder whether they're in opposition or support of Joseph Kony or the KKK. I don't wonder whether they support Uganda's homophobic laws or the Westboro Baptist Church. I don't wonder whether they support Warren Jeffs or the craziness of groups like the Branch Davidians and FLDS. So why is there this obsession with Hussein the computer scientist in Idaho, coming forward against terrorism so that some people can feel safer? It's utter nonsense.

So you then agree, that the Christians had to acknowledge their own heretics, albeit even taking longer than 200 years.

Islam is a politically motivated religion to.....What makes them any different than any other religion when it comes to their own hijacking their religion? Are they special? Do they get a pass because they cry out.....I am Muslim, I did not know?

Are the heretics of Islam doing what the Christians did? Expansion into new lands.....check. Subjugation of those around them.....check. Destruction of other Cultures and ways of life.....check. Has the Leadership of Islam been challenged?

Which says nothing of their Sectarian divide......that leads to killing and subjugation of all other Arabs. Thats by Both Sunni and Shia.....there is no difference in Sharia Law for them. Which is where the politics comes in and the US mistake in trying to play both sides.

Now that the problem of heretics can be identified in today's day and age.....What is taking the Muslims so long to figure it out?

I had tried to ask this question in a earlier thread but I did not make my implications clear enough.

This is the earlier thread http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/214812-should-united-states-implement-racial-profiling-muslim-americans.html

My question is this:
do the actions of terrorist orginazation like ISIS and al Qaeda represent the entire Islamic faith, or are we able to distinguish between the militant fanatics and the uninvolved?

I don't know if you are able to see that the views of over 1.6 billion Muslims are not represented by terrorist groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda, but it's mighty clear to me. :roll:

So you then agree, that the Christians had to acknowledge their own heretics, albeit even taking longer than 200 years.

Acknowledge? As in... accept that they existed? Well, they accepted that these people existed, and then they acted to remedy that. Throughout most of history they acted by burning, slaughtering, punishing these "heretics". So I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking whether "Christians" have embraced these heretics? Well, I don't know. Let's ask the Ugandan government? We could also ask the mostly Catholic Latin American countries where being gay is enough to get you killed. We could also ask many witch hunters in Africa how they feel about 'heretics'. We don't even have to look too far to see that even in the 20th century countries with Christian majorities were still engaging in some of the same anti-heretic policies of the past. Let's face it, Hitler's final solution was a worthy heir to Christendom's pogroms. So in short, the answer will be that yes, they accept that these people exist, but that's entirely irrelevant to what they decide to do about the heretics after. Some Christians countries ignore, others pass laws making their actions punishable by death.

Islam is a politically motivated religion to.....What makes them any different than any other religion when it comes to their own hijacking their religion? Are they special? Do they get a pass because they cry out.....I am Muslim, I did not know?

Are the heretics of Islam doing what the Christians did? Expansion into new lands.....check. Subjugation of those around them.....check. Destruction of other Cultures and ways of life.....check. Has the Leadership of Islam been challenged?

Which says nothing of their Sectarian divide......that leads to killing and subjugation of all other Arabs. Thats by Both Sunni and Shia.....there is no difference in Sharia Law for them. Which is where the politics comes in and the US mistake in trying to play both sides.

Now that the problem of heretics can be identified in today's day and age.....What is taking the Muslims so long to figure it out?

None of this has any relevance to what I stated. My general question was about why Muslims were expected to do something that Christians weren't. That being deal with their bad apples on a personal level. Can you tell me why you expect the functionally illiterate masses in the Muslim world to deal with an issue they may not even be aware of? Why does a fellah in Morocco have to deal with Islamic terrorism when he may not even read a newspaper for weeks? Why does a student in Nigeria have to drop whatever he's doing to fight terrorism and make people in the West feel better?

Last edited:
Another Ridiculous Poll.

NO one ever suggested ISIS etc represents the "views of ALL Muslims/the entire faith."

This GARBAGE string is just a variant of the "All Muslims are terrorists" STRAWMAN.

At least make it a little interesting by using "Majority" or "Minority" or "nothing significant" instead of "Entire"/aka 100%!

How Frigging Nonsensical and guaranteed overwhelming and [Worthless] result.

How about for your next POS poll, "Louis Farrakhan represents ALL Blacks"?
or "ALL Blacks are criminals, Yes or No?"

Must be boring at stormfront since all their members are here.

I know that. But
I wonder who exactly believes the idea that Muslims act as one single population bloc?

The stupid, bigoted people on this planet and we've got plenty of people like that in the USA.

If you don't think so read some of the comments that they post.

And stupefyingly stupid at worst, eh? :roll:
I wonder how many people fit into that demographic.
You'll find plenty of them in the international politics section of this forum claiming Muslims burn 40K cars in France per year or saying all Muslims are Jihadists.

Moderator's Warning:
Let's please just focus on the topic and not each other. Thanks.

How long did it take the Christians?

We should give the Muslims at least as long, eh? :roll:

Then after that period of time is over with we'll get back to finding fault with the way that they run their religion.

Acknowledge? As in... accept that they existed? Well, they accepted that these people existed, and then they acted on that. Throughout most of history they acted by burning, slaughtering, punishing these "heretics". So I'm not sure what you're asking, have Christians embraced these heretics? Well, I don't know. Let's ask the Ugandan government? We could also ask the mostly Catholic Latin American countries where being gay is enough to get you killed. We could also ask many witch hunters in Africa how they feel about 'heretics'. The answer will be that yes, they exist, but that's entirely irrelevant to what they can do about them.

None of this has any relevance to what I stated. My general question was about why Muslims were expected to do something that Christians weren't. That being deal with their bad apples on a personal level. Can you tell me why you expect the functionally illiterate masses in the Muslim world to deal with an issue they may not even be aware of? Why does a fellah in Morocco have to deal with Islamic terrorism when he may not even read a newspaper for weeks? Why does a student in Nigeria have to drop whatever he's doing to fight terrorism and make people in the West feel better?

Did the Christian leaders and heretics end up being tried and condemned? Put in Newspapers, taken into courts. Court Law and before Kings, and or some other Royal title.

All of it has relevance to what you said. But due to it not just following what you said. But due to some realities that you forgot with all that you were saying......Do their Clerics make the journey to Mecca? From whatever country?????

Is that not how they spread the Word for those that are illiterate. Has not the Taliban showed for generations on what knowledge is passed and how? How about those Indonesian Clerics that are Muslim?

Also did you forget the Arab spring? Did you forget how their Clerics used Social media to get in touch with each other in different countries. Imagine that!

What happened? How many decades do we have to be told.....how many have been taught by word of mouth from those regions of the world that lack in education. Which says nothing of those who are Highly informed and knows exactly what is going. Like the King of the Saud and Sunni!

Back
Top Bottom