• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which of these should the state have power over?

Which of the following should states have power over?

• Total voters

Hatuey

Rule of Two
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Alright, try #2.

[h=2]Which of the following should states have power over?[/h]

Vote is public, multiple choice allowed.

religion-neither

trade and commerce-both depending on the scope

slavery -violates the 14th amendment-among other things-a state cannot make it legal

education mainly state though the federal government properly has authority to maintain the USMA at West Point and the USNA at Annapolis for example and the Coast Guard Academy

narcotics-other than import duties-purely a state issue

I feel like you could roll a lot of them into just criminal law.

Alright, try #2.

By "have state power over," I assume you mean impervious to Federal oversight?

By "have state power over," I assume you mean impervious to Federal oversight?

whether something is a state legislative power or not, federal courts do have authority to heard cases if a state legislative power were to violate natural rights, or the privileges and immunities of "Citizens of the U.S."

the problem today is ......the congress seeks to create legislation to rectify rights, and privileges violations, which they have no authority to do, that is the job of the Judaical branch.

Alright, try #2.

i would have added state legislative power..instead of just power.

example....commerce is a state legislative power inside of its own state, where as its a federal power AMONG the 50 states.

Good poll. I like the question. Some thoughts...

- Abortion: State. If one views abortion as murder, then it should be equated with murder legally. That means if murder is currently a state issue then abortion should be as well. If abortion is not murder, then absolutely a state issue.

- Marriage: State. Solely. In fact, I'm starting to question why any government should have any say or influence whatsoever, excepting only minimum ages of consent.

- Slavery: Ridiculous inclusion, but federal. As has been pointed out, violates 14th Amendment, and should remain so.

- Narcotics Consumption: State.

- Prostitution: State.

- Adoption: State, within the state. Federal if crosses state lines and/or international boundaries.

- Trade & commerce: State, within the state. Federal if crosses state lines and/or international boundaries. But, only if it *really* crosses state lines. None of this absurd expansion of the Commerce Clause we have had since pretty much right after the country was founded. And it should have to actually cross state lines, not just nebulously affect interstate commerce.

- Immigration: Federal. Solely.

- Education. State. Solely. I'd actually like to see it go down to the county level, but I'd settle for state.

- Religion: Federal, solely and minimally.

Back
Top Bottom