• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drugmakers to join forces to make millions of Ebola vaccine doses

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Drugmakers to join forces to make millions of Ebola vaccine doses

LONDON (Reuters) - Leading drugmakers plan to work together to speed up the development of an Ebola vaccine and hope to produce millions of doses for use next year.

U.S. firm Johnson & Johnson said on Wednesday that it aims to produce at least 1 million doses of its two-step vaccine next year and has already discussed collaboration with Britain's GlaxoSmithKline, which is working on a rival vaccine.

The economics of an Ebola vaccine are still unclear but drug companies with an eye on their reputations are under pressure to respond to the major international health crisis now ravaging one of the poorest corners of Africa.

J&J's head of research Paul Stoffels said it was important to have several experimental vaccine candidates in development, since it is not clear which ones will work, but resources could in future be focused on one clear winner.

How great is this? Apparently, there's either profit in this medicine or our political leadership has more influence than I thought.

An effective vaccine is the only thing that will really put an end to this threat from reoccurring. Though, I am curious of the cost and coverage?

How great is this? Apparently, there's either profit in this medicine or our political leadership has more influence than I thought.

An effective vaccine is the only thing that will really put an end to this threat from reoccurring. Though, I am curious of the cost and coverage?

Odd that there was no push to do this before it got here.

More money in treatment than cures, I suppose.

The gravy train is pulling into the station.
When your customer is uncle sam everyone lines up.

Another payback for big pharma for ACA help.

Odd that there was no push to do this before it got here.

More money in treatment than cures, I suppose.

They admitted that the previous outbreaks were not serious enough to encourage investing into a cure. The CEO's of these companies probably realize that something like this can affect even their own profits, lives and families? If this thing would've spread world wide in the next few years with no treatment, just the panic could've wiped out the financial system.

Back
Top Bottom