• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawsuit challenges North Dakota gay marriage ban

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/06/north-dakota-same-sex-marriage-ban/10082033/

[h=1]Lawsuit challenges North Dakota gay marriage ban[/h]
North Dakota on Friday became the last of 31 states to have its ban on same-sex marriage challenged as unconstitutional.The lawsuit was filed hours before a federal judge in Wisconsin struck down a similar ban in Wisconsin.
In North Dakota, seven couples filed suit in federal court, arguing that the 2004 voter-approved constitutional amendment — which limits marriage to heterosexuals — violates the equal-protection and due-process guarantees of the U.S. Constitution. The suit additionally says the state must recognize marriages of same-sex couples who wed in other states, the so-called "right to travel" also outlined in the 14th Amendment. Since the June 2013 U.S. Supreme Court decision striking down the section of the federal Defense of Marriage Act that defined marriage as between a man and a woman, judges nationwide have nullified several such bans.

"Same-sex couples are identical to different-sex couples in all characteristics relevant to marriage," the suit states. "Without any legitimate governmental interest, North Dakota has targeted a minority of individuals for discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation."The state will incur little to no burden in allowing same-sex couples to marry and in recognizing the lawful marriages of same-sex couples from other jurisdictions on the same terms as different-sex couples," the suit continues, adding that the couples are subject to "an irreparable denial of their constitutional rights."
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-lawsuit-filed-north-dakota-gay-20140606-story.html
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/north-dakota-gay-marriage-lawsuit
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/07/us-usa-gaymarriage-wisconsin-idUSKBN0EH2CW20140607
http://www.wisconsingazette.com/tre...ta-gay-couples-sue-for-marriage-equality.html

WOW it happened faster than predicted!!!
Now ALL 50 states have equal rights or are fighting for equal rights. ALL 50!!!!

The dominoes of discrimination and or bigotry continue to fall. This along with Wisconsin establishing equal rights today are two more major steps.
Are there any doubts for anyone any more that equal rights are winning?

the only questions left now is when? what will be the last state or will SCOTUS make it national before each case gets settled.

Changes/Updates in RED
6/6/14 Version 14.0

20 States with Equal Rights and 10 Stayed/Appealed/Pending

19 States with Equal Rights

Massachusetts - May 17, 2004
Connecticut - November 12, 2008
Iowa - April 27, 2009
Vermont - September 1, 2009
New Hampshire - January 1, 2010
Washing D.C. - March 9, 2010
FALL OF DADT Dec 18, 2010
New York - July 24, 2011
Washington - December 6, 2012
Maine - December 29, 2012
Maryland - January 1, 2013
FALL OF DOMA - June 26, 2013
California - June 28, 2013
Delaware - July 1, 2013
Rhode Island - August 1, 2013
Minnesota - August 1, 2013
New Jersey - October 21, 2013
Illinois - (ruled on Nov 20th 2013) June 1, 2014 effective
Hawaii - December 2, 2013
New Mexico – December 19, 2013
GSK v. Abbott Laboratories - January 21, 2014 (could be huge in gay rights, discrimination/heightened scrutiny)
Oregon May 20, 2014
Pennsylvania May 20, 2014
Wisconsin June 5, 2014

10 Stayed/Appealed/Pending
Utah – December 20, 2013 (Stayed)
Oklahoma - (Stayed)
Kentucky - February 14, 2014 (Must recognize out-of-state marriages which will lead to their ban being defeated)
Virginia - February 14, 2014 (Stayed)
Texas - February 26, 2014 (Stayed)
Tennessee March, 2014 (Direct US Constitution Challenge)(Prilim in and 3 couples are recognized, later broader ruling coming)
Michigan - March 21, 2014 (Stayed)
Ohio April, 2014 Trial had narrow ruling that Ohio will recognize OTHER state marriages but didn’t impact bans. New cases expected.
Arkansas - May 5, 2014 (Stayed)
Idaho - May 13, 2014 (Stayed)

20 States Working Towards Equal Rights

13 States with Pending Court Cases to Establish Equal Rights
Alabama
Georgia
Kansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
North Carolina
North Dakota
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virginia
Wyoming

7 States with Court Cases and Legislation to establish Equal Rights
Alaska
Arizona
Colorado
Indiana
Florida
Missouri
Nevada

thats 50 states that could have equal rights by 2016 and some much sooner!

US Court of Appeals Tracker
Map: Court Locator
1st - all states have equal rights
2nd - all states have equal rights
3rd - pending
4th - april/may court case
5th- pending
6th - pending
7th- pending
8th- nothing pending, talks of two cases
9th- pending (statement released "as soon as possible")

State Attorney Generals no longer defending the bans due to their unconstitutionality
California (Has equal rights now)
Illinois (Has Equal rights now)
Kentucky
Nevada
Oregon (has equal rights now)
Pennsylvania(has equal rights now)
Virginia(stayed)

1THERE ARE NO STATES LEFT NOT FIGHTING FOR EQUAL RIGHTS

#EqualRightsAreWinning!!!!!!!!!!!!

also please feel free to let me know of any corrections or updates that need made, equality is kicking so much ass its hard to keep up, thanks
[/QUOTE]

Another step forward!

I don't see how a state legislator could ban gay marriage when it was never legal in the first place.

Also, why the hell should government be involved in marriage in the first place baffles me.

I'm not personally endorsing gay marriage - I'm just questioning our inept governments.

1.)I don't see how a state legislator could ban gay marriage when it was never legal in the first place.
2.)Also, why the hell should government be involved in marriage in the first place baffles me.
3.)I'm not personally endorsing gay marriage - I'm just questioning our inept governments.

1.) in ways this is true the state had no power to ban gay marriage and infringe on rights and thats why the fed is fixing it
2.) common sense is why they are involved its a legal contract and the government is needed to protect it and the rights/privileges that come along with it like other contracts
3.) i agree the states were definitely inept on this issue and overstepping thier powers but luckily its being fixed.

I hope similar fixes happen with gun rights.

Didn't this story come out a couple weeks ago?

Didn't this story come out a couple weeks ago?

yes and no, the story about north dakota being the last and lawyers plan on bringing a case against the state with in 6-8 weeks was posted but this is the official case now, weeks ahead of schedule.

yes and no, the story about north dakota being the last and lawyers plan on bringing a case against the state with in 6-8 weeks was posted but this is the official case now, weeks ahead of schedule.

Ah. Well good for them.

1.) in ways this is true the state had no power to ban gay marriage and infringe on rights and thats why the fed is fixing it
2.) common sense is why they are involved its a legal contract and the government is needed to protect it and the rights/privileges that come along with it like other contracts
3.) i agree the states were definitely inept on this issue and overstepping thier powers but luckily its being fixed.

I hope similar fixes happen with gun rights.

Good luck with your tyrannical gun wishes - especially when concerned citizens are displaying AR;s and other firearms just to prove a point.

As far as "gay marriage" - the state should have no role in that issue, unless that state previously outlawed gay marriage. Even then I don't believe the state should be involved unless the state want's to take it to a ballot initiative.

However the simple fact you want guns banned really show's you're a tyrant.

1.)Good luck with your tyrannical gun wishes - especially when concerned citizens are displaying AR;s and other firearms just to prove a point.
2.)As far as "gay marriage" - the state should have no role in that issue, unless that state previously outlawed gay marriage.
3.)Even then I don't believe the state should be involved unless the state want's to take it to a ballot initiative.
4.)However the simple fact you want guns banned really show's you're a tyrant.

1.) what are you talking about lol, whats tyrannical about supporting gun rights?
thank you for just proving you dont understand this issue at all. The states have overstepped its powers with some gun laws just like they did with banning gay marriage and thats what I was talking about.
thank you for putting the biased in your posts on full display.

2.) correct the state had no right to ban marriage
3.) states cant do this either thats way their mistake is being fixed. cant put equal rights issue on a ballot.
4.) except i dont nor have i ever even come close to suggesting so but thank you for proving you dont read what people actually post and just post lies and mentally retard "rhetoric" that doesnt apply to whats actually being said.

Based on what I said It actually makes ZERO sense to even think i want them banned, i have a CWP myself. maybe take a look at my avatar and notice the pro-gun sign on it LMAO :laughat:

thank you for completely owning your own post.

1.) what are you talking about lol, whats tyrannical about supporting gun rights?
thank you for just proving you dont understand this issue at all. The states have overstepped its powers with some gun laws just like they did with banning gay marriage and thats what I was talking about.

3.) states cant do this either thats way their mistake is being fixed. cant put equal rights issue on a ballot.
4.) except i dont nor have i ever even come close to suggesting so but thank you for proving you dont read what people actually post and just post lies and mentally retard "rhetoric" that doesnt apply to whats actually being said.

Based on what I said It actually makes ZERO sense to even think i want them banned, i have a CWP myself. maybe take a look at my avatar and notice the pro-gun sign on it LMAO :laughat:

Well I suppose, in a legal system you need law to back your argument hence precedent. Now I am getting quit sick of homosexuals comparied to interracial marriage.

In you progressive mindset you may not agree, but legally you have ZERO legal grounds for your arguments other than progressive judges that are in place to insure progressive ideas are manifested regardless of the Bill of Rights or Constitution.

Would you like me to start throwing judges that have been paid off to violate the Bill of Rights and the Constitution?

The best part is that I could care less about gay marriage and more judges that have a political agenda,

Half these clowns should be held on charges of contempt and perjury. because a system if for the greater good of the progressive and NOT legality.

The corruption astutute as is the corruption.

Once again you could care less about the legal system/hosue etc, .senate can care more about your logic - I's like You're are Obama II...

I would love to debate you because you would be destroyed - because you're entire premise is basically "what if law didn't exist" which is why we have s many members of congress that are borderline retarded.

1.)Well I suppose, in a legal system you need law to back your argument hence precedent. Now I am getting quit sick of homosexuals comparied to interracial marriage.
2.)In you progressive mindset you may not agree, but legally you have ZERO legal grounds for your arguments other than progressive judges that are in place to insure progressive ideas are manifested regardless of the Bill of Rights or Constitution.
3.)Would you like me to start throwing judges that have been paid off to violate the Bill of Rights and the Constitution?
4.)The best part is that I could care less about gay marriage and more judges that have a political agenda,
5.)Half these clowns should be held on charges of contempt and perjury. because a system if for the greater good of the progressive and NOT legality.
6.)The corruption astutute as is the corruption.

1.) yes and precednce, facts, law and rights all support equal rights for gays and your opinion of not licking equal gay rights compared to interracial marriage is meanignless since they are infact the same. Its based on equal rights, civil rights and the 14th.
2.) to bad facts prove your OPINIONS wrong and you might want to further educate yourself on this topic since many judges have ruled this way including conservative judges, they are simply educated enough to understand what equal rights means.

failed dishonest claims about "activist judges" are the second fastsest way to not have educated and honest people take your posts seriously lol

3.) feel free it wont support your argument or change the fact this is an equal rights issue and its winning and being advance by conservative and liberal judges lol

4.) what you care about is again meanignless to equal rights and so is your OPINIONS about judges.

5.) more unsupportable meaningless opinion that has zero effect on facts and rights

6.) sorry theres no corruption on this issue that you can prove in anyway.

facts win again

1.)Once again you could care less about the legal system/hosue etc, .senate can care more about your logic - I's like You're are Obama II...
2.)I would love to debate you because you would be destroyed - because you're entire premise is basically "what if law didn't exist" which is why we have s many members of congress that are borderline retarded.

1.) translation: you are deflecting and trying failed insult because you have no honest, accurate, factual or intellectual path to take to defend your failed claims.
2.) nope not my premises at all and any debate you start with me over the actual opic at hand will end like all of the deabtes we have had. You losing to facts just like now.

let us know when you have any facts that support you, heck even ONE fact that supports your failed claims that nobody educated and honest takes seriously.

SOrry equal rights bothers you but the country and facts dont care about your opinions

Back
Top Bottom