• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you rather...

Would you rather...

• Total voters

MadLib

monstrous vermin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
For a crime you didn't commit, would you rather:

1. Spend your life in prison for 20 years. It's originally LWOP, but later evidence exonerates you and allows you to be set free and compensated.

2. Be executed. You'll only be exonerated long after you're already dead, in which case any compensation will go to your living relatives.

3. No preference/they are equivalent in your opinion.

20 years in prison. I've been maried for 23 tears, I could do 20 in prison on my head.

Only 20 years old right now. I could make it through 20 years of prison and still have a good chunk of my life left.

20 years. Easy call assuming prison life isn't a hellish nightmare 24/7.

Even life in prison is more interesting than nothing. I'd try to think of it as a monastic retreat or something.

Might finally squeeze out that book I know I've got in me.

20 years.

Get out - take my compensation.

Write a book.

Sell the movie rights.

I'll take jail. I can escape and either assume a new identity or prove my innocence. I know these weren't options, but I don't accept the possibility of an ineluctable prison constructed by human beings. I could even conceivably clear my name from behind bars. As a last resort, I could run the place.

20 years in prison. I've been maried for 23 tears, I could do 20 in prison on my head.

I hear the food in prison is better. I hear the sex isn't as good.

1. Spend your life in prison for 20 years. It's originally LWOP, but later evidence exonerates you and allows you to be set free and compensated.

2. Be executed. You'll only be exonerated long after you're already dead, in which case any compensation will go to your living relatives.

In reality, we can't know what might happen within that 20 years of being in prison, especially for someone who is innocent. They could end up dying in prison. They could become extremely bitter and resentful, and end up getting out feeling that they are owed more. They could end up actually doing the thing they were sent to prison for or they could end up facing some problems when released from a public/friends/family that believed (even if they are believing wrongly) that they did whatever they were just exonerated for.

And it can take 20 years or more (right now) for someone who is sentenced to be executed to actually be executed.

So I have no idea which I would rather have.

Now, I support the death penalty, but only with much more evidence than it is given to people in many cases, especially in some states that are fighting to keep their death penalty in place. I don't approve of the way the death penalty is used/implemented or having safeguards ignored in favor of political motives.

I'll take jail. I can escape and either assume a new identity or prove my innocence. I know these weren't options, but I don't accept the possibility of an ineluctable prison constructed by human beings. I could even conceivably clear my name from behind bars. As a last resort, I could run the place.

No cheating :lol:

I'm too pretty to go to jail, madlib.

Prison. Even without later getting exonerated, freed and compensated.

I'm a "bloom where you're planted" kinda' gal. I could find something rewarding to get involved in in prison. No doubt about it.

Only 20 years old right now. I could make it through 20 years of prison and still have a good chunk of my life left.

plus several million dollars from the court afterwards

In this hypothetical, am I morally responsible for the effects of my choice?

Back
Top Bottom