• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia rejects US warnings over oil deal with Iran

MildSteel

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Under this deal Russia would import 500,000 barrels a day of Iranian oil. My understanding is that they won't be trading in US dollars. If so this will chip away at the reserve currency power of the dollar. The question is whether this will actually materialize, or is it just a mechanism that is being used for leverage?

MOSCOW (AP) — A senior Russian diplomat on Wednesday angrily rejected U.S. warnings against striking an oil-for-goods contract with Iran, saying that Moscow wouldn't be intimidated by threats.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said in remarks carried by the state RIA Novosti news agency that an increase in Russian-Iranian trade is a "natural process that doesn't involve any elements of political or economic challenge to anyone."

Russian business daily Kommersant has reported that Moscow plans to buy 500,000 barrels of Iranian oil a day, a deal that would shatter an export limit defined by an interim nuclear agreement world powers and Iran reached last year.

Iran has agreed to temporarily limit its atomic work, which the West fears could be a cover for developing nuclear weapons, in return for some sanctions relief. Six world powers, including Russia, and Iran are working on a fuller deal that would place long-term restrictions on Iran's nuclear program in exchange for an end to all economic sanctions.

The six-month interim agreement, which went into effect in January and expires in July, allows Iran to continue exporting a total of 1 million barrels a day of oil to six countries: China, India, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Turkey. The promise didn't apply to Russia, which wasn't an existing customer of Iran's petroleum industry.

If Russia reaches the oil-for-goods contract with Iran, it would challenge Western efforts to secure a comprehensive agreement. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday that Washington could impose sanctions if Russia and Iran move forward with the oil contract.

Ryabkov said he was unaware of any specific agreements, adding that a "normal exchange of opinions with Iranian colleagues has been going on to determine which sectors of economy are best suited for further development of ties."

He insisted that Russia wants to develop its ties with Iran and rejected the U.S. threat to impose sanctions.

"We don't think that any unilateral U.S. sanctions, no matter whom they target, are legitimate, and we reject such a stance," he said.

Darn, and I thought Putin would say, "Thank you, Sir. May I have another." :shrug:

The petrodollar system has anchored the reserve status of the USD since Nixon Shock. The luxuries of having the reserve status afford the US the high standard of living it enjoys on credit. The US economy is smokes and mirrors as it is. The US economy needs good news and not news that Russia and China are coming to unseat the Reserve and that they are capable and crazy enough to do it. Peter Keonig, former World Banks economist has coined the economic warfare strategy of the 'Sacrifice Throw'. from judo I gather. The idea is that to break the USD the BRICS must be willing to take some damage themselves. But the idea is to knock the USA the [SNIP] out by going to the floor with them.

Reality Check comment: In judo, this is called a sacrifice-throw. Such moves require the thrower to move into a potentially disadvantageous position in order for it to be executed, such as falling to the ground. The momentum of the falling body adds power to the throw and requires comparatively little strength, compared to the effect. Sacrificing a part of currency reserves in order to bring down the American empire is definitely a good strategic move.
Read more: What will happen to global economy if BRICS announce launch of new currency - Bricso? - News - Reality Check - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Vi

The idea checks out as far as I can tell. I thought of it myself a few years ago. I have been saying that the next GFC will destroy the USA but will help the BRICS in the long term. The last GFC that the USA caused gave China a bump on the world stage. It gave Australia a bump on the world stage as well. The Asia Pacific region is not as linked to the US economic doom and having China driving the regions economy meant that the GFC was actually great for us. I have been saying that China should collapse the world economy in a controlled way and this is the best way to unseat the USD as reserve and to break US hegemony. To read the Peter Koenig, former World Bank economist is pushing for the BRICS to take the US out with a Sacrifice Throw strategy is kind of cool. It is the same idea that I have pretty much.

The BRICS have created somewhat of a firewall with the creation of the BRICS Bank. The BRICS nations are much better prepared for the next GFC than the last. The justice seeking nations of the NAM alliance will look to the East for leadership. The informal empire of the US side will crumble as 'western' nations jump ship to the East.

I am so worried about the Federal Reserve losing control of interest rates. It may be approaching that time when TSHTF. Soon it will be time to grab your 'bug out bag' and head for the hills. Or 'bug out location'. Do not forget that it is always a good idea to have a second 'bug out location' just in case your primary 'bug out location' is overrun by roaming bands of zombie-like cannibals coming for your stores of dried corn. The collapse of the USD is near folks. Soon there will be hordes of looters looting the [SNIP] out of anything that they can loot. And then comes the Red Dawn. First North Koreans. Then Russians. Then Chinese. reds under your beds. And in your streets. Commies! Commies everywhere. No pursuit of happiness then. No liberty and freedom. It will be gulags and six hours of forces manual labour.

To be honest I think that state of the USD is quite worrisome at this pint. Maybe Obama should like do something. What is he doing anyway? Golf? Holiday? Fund raising? Golf? B-grade comedy? Golf? What? Where is he? Hiding under his bed? Is he afraid of Putin? Is Putin giving Obama night terrors? Why is Obama so weak and afraid of everything? What is wrong with Obama? Why so scared and weak? Why is he trying to make Jimmy Carter seem so great? Where is he? Golf? Why wont he do something? TS is about to HTF. This whole petroruble business is a game changer tell Obama. A real game changer. Maybe Obama needs to give Putin a Red Line? Would that work? Another Red Line? No. Umm. Sanctions? Oh thats right. Hmmm .......Hmmmm. Ummmm. Grab your 'bug out bags'?

Australia has dumped the USD for trade with China. And trade with China makes up the majority of our trade. Thanks for not putting sanctions on us USA. :peace You guys rule. And I think you are exceptional. Really. But how can USA threaten sanctions on Russia and Iran for doing what Australia is doing pretty much? What difference does it make how you bypass the use of USD for international trade? Barter of direct currency swap do the same thing and that is dump the USD. So I guess USA can make Russia angry if you guys need to just so long as you guys do not attack the Aussie economy and sanction us for dumping the USD for international trade where possible.

You could sanction Australia but we would probably ignore the US Federal Government. Our Aussie farmers traded with Saddam Hussein even though our Leader State USA ordered them not to. Wheat for oil baby.

The Yuan talks. The USD walks. (:)

Golf?

Look, Australia is really into dumping the USD. We Australians love to dump the USD. We have been into dumping the USD as reserve some time now in Australia. We did it before it was cool. And no sanctions from Obama. Obama isnt afraid of Aussies too now is he? Why is Obama so afraid? And weak? Can we blame the crumbling status of the USD on Obama? maybe not but he sure has not helped.
Australia to cut out US Dollar in trade With China. 2013-3-30 13:25

Australia is seeking to bypass trading in U.S. dollars with China in a deal that will be the focus of Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s trip to Beijing next week.

Trade with China, Australia’s primary trading partner, totaled $120 billion in the last fiscal year. China buys nearly one-third of Australian exports.

"The value of such a deal would be substantial for exporters to China, especially those that import a lot from China, like mining companies, as it would remove business constraints including exchange-rate risks and transaction costs," said Australia’s former ambassador to China, Geoff Raby, according to the Australian.
Sorry, Mates, Strictly Business: Australia Wants To Cut Out US Dollar In Trade With China

The selfish and irresponsible 'unlimited QE' that America has unleashed on the world has really hurt Australian exporters by driving up the AUD. I am glad Australia is seeking to combat America and trying to minimize the damage that Americas Currency War is having on the Australian Economy.

America should be ashamed of themselves for attacking the economies of their so-called 'friends'. Even Japan lashed out at America recently in relation to their selfish money printing.

As we move into the Asian Century it is becoming clear that America is not needed. America can no longer scare us into using USD in International Trade. The power of China has liberated us. From Bretton Woods to Nixon Shock to Unlimited QE America has held us hostage to their imperial world system.

After the Nixon Shock, Nixons Treasury Secretary John Connally told the world “the dollar may be our currency, but it is your problem”. This has always been Americas attitude to the rest of the world. Well its a new day thanks to China and the USD is no longer our problem. The USD is Americas problem now.
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-844444-1-1.html

Golf?

Last edited:
Oh I'm sure the right-wingers will start proclaiming this is all because Obama "looks weak," as if something cosmetic is really what makes the world turn. Then they'll try to avoid saying they support military intervention because they know that's stupid.

See, I said this almost two years ago. It is the same thing Peter Koenig is advocating. A sacrifice throw.

You are confused in relation to China. China and the other BRICS nations are working toward destroying the 'reserve status' of the USD. China and the other BRICS nations are doing everything they can to bring the western GFC forward. They are also taking measures to protect themselves, for example, the creation of the BRICS Banks.

China is also a part of NAM. If you look at a map highlighting the NAM member nations you will see that all that is left is pretty much bankrupt Europe and and a few other loyal nations like Australia. The whole world is in the corner of China. When China does reach its goal of unseating the USD as reserve, the US consumer will have far less buying power. The US economy will shrink and possibly collapse.

We may see a 'basket reserve' at first but China will end up with reserve in the end. It is not a matter of if China will unseat the USD, but a matter of when. The US cant run its economy and they refuse to address national debt. Their Banks have $298 trillion in outstanding derivatives. US congress cant agree on any real solutions, partly because there are no solutions.

The reason economists are having trouble is because they cannot comprehend the fact that the East is ready to a leading role. Economists refuse to believe that China can survive without relying on western consumers spending inflated dollars. The economists refuse to see that the 'developing' nations are ready to fall in line behind China.

It is all about faith and confidence. China and the other BRICS nations will emerge from the next GFC as the obvious power. The USD will be unseated. The western consumer will be no more.
Buckle up, Australia: recession is coming

The sacrifice throw is my idea. I own it. Like Peter Keonig can give it a name if he likes. But I will expect royalties at some stage.

Better by the Yuan.

Will The Next GFC Be A Positive For China? 2012-9-24 21:09

China got a bump in its world standing due to the GFC. Wouldnt the same thing happen again?

It seems to me that China must continue to shift away from the so called affluent markets. Their direction should be to nurture the emerging markets in Africa and elsewhere in the world. The NAM members make up most of the world. A total collapse in OEC Dnations would help the justice seeking members of NAM as well as helping China.

The so called 'affluent markets' are only affluent because their money is over valued. China and the mighty BRICS alliance have created somewhat of a firewall with the creation of the BRICS Bank and by direct trade. The next GFC will not hurt these nations as much as they were hurt the last time America caused the world economy to collapse.

A GFC would be a good thing for China in the long term. I think this is why China and the BRICS are actively seeking to unseat the USD as the Reserve Currency. If you use logic you will see that the Chinese Government would not be actively seeking to unseat the USD if they thought their future relied on western markets and western consumers.

It is clear to me that China will come out of the next GFC as sole superpower. Will America try to cause a war before this happens to reshuffle the deck so to speak? They seem to be trying their hardest.
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-793598-1-1.html

edit- I own the Sacrifice Throw economic warfare strategy. I thought of it before Peter Keonig. Peter Keonig the stealing my ideas. The sneaky red Commie bastard! Isnt there some kind of intellectual property thing that I can use to get some rubles out of all of this? If Russia uses my idea to take down the USA and I get nothing out of it but satisfaction, then what is in it for me? Happy feelings? Show me the money commies!

Last edited:
Under this deal Russia would import 500,000 barrels a day of Iranian oil. My understanding is that they won't be trading in US dollars. If so this will chip away at the reserve currency power of the dollar. The question is whether this will actually materialize, or is it just a mechanism that is being used for leverage?

It wouldn't chip away at the USD as the global reserve currency anymore than Iran's 'Oil Bourse' did. If Russia decided to go through with this all it would do is wreck the tenuous framework that the West and Iran had established. Tighter sanctions on Iran, re-freezing assets, and re-imposing commercial bans would likely follow if the West determined that their previous regimen was no longer effective. It would also further cement the image of Russia as a rogue/rival state in the eyes of the worlds democratic powers.

I would actually be fairly pleased if they went ahead with this. It would accomplish quite a few objectives or at least push them further along without doing too much damage.

Edit: For the above poster... Australia didn't 'dump' the US Dollar. It was a currency conversion deal to allow the RMB to be traded against the AUD. This is similar to the decision to allow the RMB to be traded against the Yen. This has everything to do with China having extremely strict currency controls and tightly guarding access to its capital markets. The United States has been encouraging liberalization of controls on the Yuan/RMB for years.

Last edited:
It wouldn't chip away at the USD as the global reserve currency anymore than Iran's 'Oil Bourse' did.
No, it would hit it a little. That's 500,000 more on the market that's not traded in dollars, about 2.5 percent of US daily consumption. It's not going to bring the dollar down by any stretch, but a chip nonetheless.

If Russia decided to go through with this all it would do is wreck the tenuous framework that the West and Iran had established. Tighter sanctions on Iran, re-freezing assets, and re-imposing commercial bans would likely follow if the West determined that their previous regimen was no longer effective. It would also further cement the image of Russia as a rogue/rival state in the eyes of the worlds democratic powers.

I would actually be fairly pleased if they went ahead with this. It would accomplish quite a few objectives or at least push them further along without doing too much damage.

Well I suppose you would be pleased. But it has a downside for your position as well.

No, it would hit it a little. That's 500,000 more on the market that's not traded in dollars, about 2.5 percent of US daily consumption. It's not going to bring the dollar down by any stretch, but a chip nonetheless.

Well I suppose you would be pleased. But it has a downside for your position as well.

It really wouldn't hit it. The IRB also floated 500,000bbl it had no impact, rather the relative strength and popularity of the USD has increased dramatically because numerous other factors dictate an interest in the dollar. This is a propaganda stunt.

It really wouldn't hit it. The IRB also floated 500,000bbl it had no impact, rather the relative strength and popularity of the USD has increased dramatically because numerous other factors dictate an interest in the dollar. This is a propaganda stunt.

I don't know about that popularity stuff. This is of interest

Will China's Sale of Treasuries Force the Fed to Buy? - Barron's

China's Sale of U.S. Debt -- Beginning of the End?

The dollar's share of China's huge cache of currency reserves has been slashed to a record low, the Wall Street Journal reports, to which it adds the world hasn't ended as a result.

But more recent data showing outright sales of U.S. securities by China suggests a less cavalier attitude would be in order. It isn't the end of the world, just a portent of what can happen when the biggest buyer of America's biggest export -- its IOUs denominated in dollars -- stops buying.

That would leave the Federal Reserve as lender of last resort to the U.S. government to fill the gap left by its biggest creditor. Think this Zimbabwe style of central-bank monetization of an unsustainable government debt can't happen in one of the world's major industrialized democracies? Well, it may be starting in Japan.

According to the Journal's crunching of the numbers, dollar assets comprised 54% of Beijing's $3 trillion-plus reserves as of last June 30, down from 74% as recently as the end of 2006. That's based on data on China's foreign-exchange reserves and the U.S. Treasury's latest survey international holdings of U.S. securities. Those numbers show an outright increase in China's holdings of U.S. securities, by $115 billion in the latest 12 months, to $1.726 trillion.

Beijing has made no secret of its desire to diversify from greenback assets -- mainly U.S. Treasuries -- and for the establishment of another reserve currency to use as a store of wealth and for international transactions. The European sovereign debt crisis has reduced the allure of the euro for those purposes. While Beijing has voiced limited support for the various schemes to ease Europe's woes, it has added to its holdings of other, smaller currencies, such as the Australian dollar.

But more recent Treasury data show China has been selling Treasuries outright. And while the markets have been complacent to the point of snarkiness, MacroMavens' Stephanie Pomboy thinks that's wrong. Unlike other Cassandras, she's been right in her warnings -- notably in the middle of the last decade that the U.S. financial system was dangerously exposed to a bubble in U.S. real estate. Hers was a lonely voice then because everybody knew, of course, house prices always rose.

As for the present conundrum, there's an $800 billion gap between the $1.1 trillion the Treasury is borrowing to cover the budget gap and the roughly $300 billion overseas investors are buying, Pomboy calculates. Banks, corporations and households have been doing little to fill that gap, preferring higher-yielding securities, so "it would appear the heavy lifting has been done by long-only bond managers extending duration and specs rushing to cover their shorts," she writes.

But Pomboy has little doubt that the Fed will step in to fill the gap left by others. In other words, debt monetization, a fancy term for printing money to cover the government's debts, which in polite circles these days is called "quantitative easing."

"Having pushed interest rates to zero, launched QE1 and QE2, there's no reason to believe that the Fed is going to allow free-market forces to destroy the fragile recovery it has worked so hard to coax forth now. And make no mistake, at $800 billion, allowing the markets to resolve the shortfall in demand would send rates to levels that would absolutely quash this recovery…if not send the economy in a real depression."

But her real concern is a bigger one. "The Fed's 'need' to take on an even more active role as foreigners further slow the purchases of our paper is to put the pedal to the metal on the currency debasement race now being run in the developed world -- a race which is speeding us all toward the end of the present currency regime." That is, the dollar-centric, floating exchange-rate system of the past four decades since the end of Bretton Woods system, when the dollar's convertibility into gold was terminated.

The U.S. has benefitted because other countries needed dollars as reserves and for transactions. No other market has near the depth and liquidity of the U.S. financial system, the linchpin of which is the Treasury market. Not even the loss of America's triple-A rating by Standard & Poor's reduced the attraction of U.S. government obligations.

But other nations are beginning to push back. Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff Thursday criticized not just the U.S. but also Europe and Japan for creating a "tsunami" of cheap money. That has had the effect of forcing up currencies of emerging economies, which threatens to "cannibalize" those countries, she added. Not that this criticism is something new. In 2010, Brazil's finance minister blasted the U.S. for provoking a "currency war" with the Fed's second round of quantitative easing, QE2.

See, I said this almost two years ago. It is the same thing Peter Koenig is advocating. A sacrifice throw.

While I agree that the BRICS nations are trying to erode dependence on the role of the USD as a reserve currency, I really don't think China wants to see another financial crisis. Remember that China is dependent on the US as a market for it's goods.

I don't know about that popularity stuff. This is of interest

Will China's Sale of Treasuries Force the Fed to Buy? - Barron's

This is an article from more than two years ago and you seem to have drawn odd conclusions from it. China has continued to buy US treasuries at a steady, even at an increased pace due to the sluggish Eurozone recovery. It has only reduced in the past few months due to Fed announcement on slowing asset purchases. The reality is that Chinese holdings of US treasuries rose in 2012 and in 2013 (by 4%) after the brief slough in 2011. Their holdings are gigantic and they have given no serious indication that they intend anything other than inflections on the status quo. Ideologically (and usually emotionally) motivated individuals have been tooting the horn of the downfall of the USD as the chief reserve currency or a Chinese treasury sell-off. Neither have happened and they are less likely now than they were five or ten years ago.

Oh I'm sure the right-wingers will start proclaiming this is all because Obama "looks weak," as if something cosmetic is really what makes the world turn. Then they'll try to avoid saying they support military intervention because they know that's stupid.

Wait, you mean Obama's strategy hasn't intimidated Putin into doing what we want??

This is an article from more than two years ago and you seem to have drawn odd conclusions from it. China has continued to buy US treasuries at a steady, even at an increased pace due to the sluggish Eurozone recovery. It has only reduced in the past few months due to Fed announcement on slowing asset purchases. The reality is that Chinese holdings of US treasuries rose in 2012 and in 2013 (by 4%) after the brief slough in 2011. Their holdings are gigantic and they have given no serious indication that they intend anything other than inflections on the status quo. Ideologically (and usually emotionally) motivated individuals have been tooting the horn of the downfall of the USD as the chief reserve currency or a Chinese treasury sell-off. Neither have happened and they are less likely now than they were five or ten years ago.

I'm not disputing that they will continue to buy them because if they don't we won't have the money to purchase all those goods they are manufacturing. The point is that they have the desire to move away from using the dollar as a reserve currency and are in the process of diversifying their holdings.

Here's something more recent, if you don't believe me that's from the state run press calling for a de americanized world

Commentary: U.S. fiscal failure warrants a de-Americanized world - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Commentary: U.S. fiscal failure warrants a de-Americanized world

BEIJING, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- As U.S. politicians of both political parties are still shuffling back and forth between the White House and the Capitol Hill without striking a viable deal to bring normality to the body politic they brag about, it is perhaps a good time for the befuddled world to start considering building a de-Americanized world.

Emerging from the bloodshed of the Second World War as the world's most powerful nation, the United States has since then been trying to build a global empire by imposing a postwar world order, fueling recovery in Europe, and encouraging regime-change in nations that it deems hardly Washington-friendly.

With its seemingly unrivaled economic and military might, the United States has declared that it has vital national interests to protect in nearly every corner of the globe, and been habituated to meddling in the business of other countries and regions far away from its shores.

Meanwhile, the U.S. government has gone to all lengths to appear before the world as the one that claims the moral high ground, yet covertly doing things that are as audacious as torturing prisoners of war, slaying civilians in drone attacks, and spying on world leaders.

Under what is known as the Pax-Americana, we fail to see a world where the United States is helping to defuse violence and conflicts, reduce poor and displaced population, and bring about real, lasting peace.

Moreover, instead of honoring its duties as a responsible leading power, a self-serving Washington has abused its superpower status and introduced even more chaos into the world by shifting financial risks overseas, instigating regional tensions amid territorial disputes, and fighting unwarranted wars under the cover of outright lies.

As a result, the world is still crawling its way out of an economic disaster thanks to the voracious Wall Street elites, while bombings and killings have become virtually daily routines in Iraq years after Washington claimed it has liberated its people from tyrannical rule.

Most recently, the cyclical stagnation in Washington for a viable bipartisan solution over a federal budget and an approval for raising debt ceiling has again left many nations' tremendous dollar assets in jeopardy and the international community highly agonized.

Such alarming days when the destinies of others are in the hands of a hypocritical nation have to be terminated, and a new world order should be put in place, according to which all nations, big or small, poor or rich, can have their key interests respected and protected on an equal footing.

To that end, several corner stones should be laid to underpin a de-Americanized world.

For starters, all nations need to hew to the basic principles of the international law, including respect for sovereignty, and keeping hands off domestic affairs of others.

Furthermore, the authority of the United Nations in handling global hotspot issues has to be recognized. That means no one has the right to wage any form of military action against others without a UN mandate.

Apart from that, the world's financial system also has to embrace some substantial reforms.

The developing and emerging market economies need to have more say in major international financial institutions including the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, so that they could better reflect the transformations of the global economic and political landscape.

What may also be included as a key part of an effective reform is the introduction of a new international reserve currency that is to be created to replace the dominant U.S. dollar, so that the international community could permanently stay away from the spillover of the intensifying domestic political turmoil in the United States.

China go a rather rude awakening back in 2008. The Premier, Wen Jiabao was publically begging the US to remain a credible nation and honor it's debt commitments.

I'm not disputing that they will continue to buy them because if they don't we won't have the money to purchase all those goods they are manufacturing. The point is that they have the desire to move away from using the dollar as a reserve currency and are in the process of diversifying their holdings.

Here's something more recent, if you don't believe me that's from the state run press calling for a de americanized world

Commentary: U.S. fiscal failure warrants a de-Americanized world - Xinhua | English.news.cn

China go a rather rude awakening back in 2008. The Premier, Wen Jiabao was publically begging the US to remain a credible nation and honor it's debt commitments.

The United States has been vigorously encouraging China to liberalize the RMB/Yuan for years which is the critical first step in making it a viable reserve currency. Thus far they are the ones holding the breaks on it--not us. They can be as interested in seeing it happen all they want it doesn't change the fact that it would be a massive long term undertaking. Moreover that they are taking no serious steps in that direction. There is so much that needs to be done for the RMB to be a viable reserve currency, let alone one that can challenge the dollar or the Euro.

Edit: One more thing. When people say 'diversify currency portfolio' that's all well and good but the reality is that with the implosion of the Eurozone no-one has had a good viable alternative to dollars. Euros could make a comeback but since the Great Recession everyone has been going to the USD.

Last edited:
The United States has been vigorously encouraging China to liberalize the RMB/Yuan for years which is the critical first step in making it a viable reserve currency. Thus far they are the ones holding the breaks on it--not us. They can be as interested in seeing it happen all they want it doesn't change the fact that it would be a massive long term undertaking. Moreover that they are taking no serious steps in that direction. There is so much that needs to be done for the RMB to be a viable reserve currency, let alone one that can challenge the dollar or the Euro.

They are not purposing their currency as a replacement. What they have purposed is a basket of currencies or some similar scheme. For example:

China calls for new global currency - ABC News

China calls for new global currency

China is calling for a global currency to replace the dominant dollar, showing a growing assertiveness on revamping the world economy ahead of next week's London summit on the financial crisis.

The surprise proposal by Beijing's central bank governor reflects unease about its vast holdings of U.S. government bonds and adds to Chinese pressure to overhaul a global financial system dominated by the dollar and Western governments. Both the United States and the European Union brushed off the idea.

The world economic crisis shows the "inherent vulnerabilities and systemic risks in the existing international monetary system," Gov. Zhou Xiaochuan said in an essay released Monday by the bank. He recommended creating a currency made up of a basket of global currencies and controlled by the International Monetary Fund and said it would help "to achieve the objective of safeguarding global economic and financial stability."

Zhou did not mention the dollar by name. But in an unusual step, the essay was published in both Chinese and English, making clear it was meant for a foreign audience.

China has long been uneasy about relying on the dollar for the bulk of its trade and to store foreign reserves. Premier Wen Jiabao publicly appealed to Washington this month to avoid any response to the crisis that might weaken the dollar and the value of Beijing's estimated $1 trillion in Treasuries and other U.S. government debt.

For decades, the dollar has been the world's most widely used currency. Many governments hold a large portion of their reserves in dollars. Crude oil and many commodities are priced in dollars. Business deals around the world are done in dollars.

But the financial crisis has highlighted how America's economic problems — and by extension the dollar — can wreak havoc on nations around the world. China is in a bind. To keep the value of its currency steady — some say undervalued — the Chinese government has to recycle its huge trade surpluses, and the biggest, most liquid option for investing them is U.S. government debt.

To better insulate countries from the ills of one country or one currency, Zhou said the IMF should create a "reserve currency" based on shares in the body held by its 185 member nations, known as special drawing rights, or SDRs.

He said it also should be used for trade, pricing commodities and accounting, not just government finance.

In Washington, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner both rejected China's call for a global alternative to the U.S. dollar's role as the international reserve currency.

Edit: One more thing. When people say 'diversify currency portfolio' that's all well and good but the reality is that with the implosion of the Eurozone no-one has had a good viable alternative to dollars. Euros could make a comeback but since the Great Recession everyone has been going to the USD.

The point is that people are dissatisfied that there are no good alternatives. Therefore they are making moves to rid themselves of their dependencies on the dollar. This trade arrangement between Russia and Iran is an example.

No it's because your policies suck, you want to be a world economic power as a welfare state. FORGET IT!

They are not purposing their currency as a replacement. What they have purposed is a basket of currencies or some similar scheme. For example:

China calls for new global currency - ABC News

The point is that people are dissatisfied that there are no good alternatives. Therefore they are making moves to rid themselves of their dependencies on the dollar. This trade arrangement between Russia and Iran is an example.

But they really aren't. China has been 'calling for a new global reserve currency' for almost a decade now. They've made no serious move in that direction because it isn't possible or desirable at present--hence the large increase in Chinese T-bond purchases over the past two years. They've been doing the opposite. As I said before there is no plausible basket of currencies at present that can supplant the dollar, the Euro was a possibility until the Great Recession. The other would be the RMB/Yuan but only if they undertook a massive liberalization program--something we've been encouraging for years. This is the reality for the foreseeable future.

It should be noted that the story cited was published in March 2012. Since that time, China's holdings of Treasury securities have increased.

Is should be noted that if you look at your chart that there was a drop from 1316.7 in November 2013 to 1270.0 in December 2013. That is a substantial drop. The increase that is shown in January 2014 is to 1273.5, which is still far below the 1316.7 in November. THE INCREASE FROM DECEMBER TO JANUARY WAS 1334 PERCENT LESS THAN THE DECREASE FROM NOVEMBER TO DECEMBER!

Thanks for reiterating that, I ran that by him but it didn't seem to land.

It didn't land because it never flew in the first place. What you would have us believe is that the dollar is popular and that is not the case. And the things I posted demonstrated that

Beijing has made no secret of its desire to diversify from greenback assets -- mainly U.S. Treasuries -- and for the establishment of another reserve currency to use as a store of wealth and for international transactions. The European sovereign debt crisis has reduced the allure of the euro for those purposes. While Beijing has voiced limited support for the various schemes to ease Europe's woes, it has added to its holdings of other, smaller currencies, such as the Australian dollar.

And from late last year

What may also be included as a key part of an effective reform is the introduction of a new international reserve currency that is to be created to replace the dominant U.S. dollar, so that the international community could permanently stay away from the spillover of the intensifying domestic political turmoil in the United States.

That's not the kind of stuff you do when something is popular. It's just like a guy that doesn't like his job but can't find a better one. He goes to it because he doesn't have a better option, not because of popularity.

Furthermore, if you look at US Treasuries one must consider that backing them is a government that has $127,000,000,000,000.00 IN UNFUNDED LIABILITIES!

You call that popular???

You Think The Deficit Is Bad? Federal Unfunded Liabilities Exceed $127 Trillion - Forbes

You Think The Deficit Is Bad? Federal Unfunded Liabilities Exceed $127 Trillion

Although the battle over a two-year budget deal and the national debt limit in Washington, D.C. has received the lion’s share of media attention recently , the bigger, more ominous threat facing taxpayers are unfunded liabilities—the difference between the net present value of expected future government spending and the net present value of projected future tax revenue, particularly those associated with Social Security and Medicare.

While federal unfunded liabilities are important, state-level unfunded pension liabilities also pose serious obstacles. In Texas, the recent 2013 Employees Retirement System (ERS) Valuation Report outlines the funding shortages this pension system faces and there is some indication it may be unable to pay beneficiaries by 2052.

The federal unfunded liabilities are catastrophic for future taxpayers and economic growth. At usdebtclock.org, federal unfunded liabilities are estimated at near $127 trillion, which is roughly $1.1 million per taxpayer and nearly double 2012’s total world output.

Is should be noted that if you look at your chart that there was a drop from 1316.7 in November 2013 to 1270.0 in December 2013. That is a substantial drop. The increase that is shown in January 2014 is to 1273.5, which is still far below the 1316.7 in November. THE INCREASE FROM DECEMBER TO JANUARY WAS 1334 PERCENT LESS THAN THE DECREASE FROM NOVEMBER TO DECEMBER!

The trendline for the last 30 months and longer remains positive. Fluctuations on a month-to-month basis are commonplace, but the upward trend continues.

The trendline for the last 30 months and longer remains positive. Fluctuations on a month-to-month basis are commonplace, but the upward trend continues.

This isn't something he has a very solid grasp of. If you want to tag in and make the attempt best of luck.

It's interesting that you should bring this up. If you go back three years to 2011 in the month of July, something very interesting occurs. Basically there is a peak of 1314.9. This is of interest because from the year 2000, up to July 2011 there is a very substantial increase in China's holdings of US treasuries. After that there is a basic plateau and in fact when their holdings again come to that level in November 2013, there is a sell off the next month. So if you look over the last three years basically the are letting the level plateau out. So basically, they are not interested in increasing there holdings. They just want them to level out. This is consistent with the following statement:

PBOC Says No Longer in China

PBOC Says No Longer in China’s Interest to Increase Reserves

The People’s Bank of China said the country does not benefit any more from increases in its foreign-currency holdings, adding to signs policy makers will rein in dollar purchases that limit the yuan’s appreciation.

“It’s no longer in China’s favor to accumulate foreign-exchange reserves,” Yi Gang, a deputy governor at the central bank, said in a speech organized by China Economists 50 Forum at Tsinghua University yesterday. The monetary authority will “basically” end normal intervention in the currency market and broaden the yuan’s daily trading range, Governor Zhou Xiaochuan wrote in an article in a guidebook explaining reforms outlined last week following a Communist Party meeting. Neither Yi nor Zhou gave a timeframe for any changes.

Last edited:
This isn't something he has a very solid grasp of. If you want to tag in and make the attempt best of luck.

And you know the Kagan's? I would have expected better.

Back
Top Bottom