• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman Explains Arrest for Breastfeeding After Drinking Beer

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The woman was charged with endangering the welfare of her child. It isn't illegal, were the police correct?

Are we too much in everyone else's business? Or was this a concerned citizen doing the proper thing?

Woman Explains Arrest for Breastfeeding After Drinking Beer | Video - ABC News

A mother, who was thrown in jail and charged with endangering the welfare of a child after breastfeeding her baby while drinking, said she didn’t know she was possibly breaking the law.

“I did drink. I did breastfeed,” Tasha Adams told ABC News’ “20/20” in her first on-camera interview. “I didn’t know it was illegal. If I knew it was illegal, I wouldn’t have done it.”

Last week, Chuck Clawson, the deputy city attorney for Conway, Ark., dropped Adams’ child endangerment charge because there wasn’t enough evidence to prove she had one too many drinks to care for her child.

The 28-year-old is a stay-at-home mother to her three children: 6-year-old Cal, 2-year-old Hyd, and 8-month-old Ana. Adams and her family live in Toad Suck, Ark., a small town where alcohol is banned. But unlike Toad Suck, Conway, Ark., is not a dry town.

After the funeral of a family friend, Adams and her parents stopped for dinner at Gusano’s Restaurant in Conway. Adams also brought her baby, Ana, because the 6-month-old was still nursing at the time.

“We had a pizza, and then we had a big old thing of spinach dip,” Adams said. “Then, I had a beer with that, and then I had another one later on after.”

Over the course of an hour and a half, Adams said she had two beers and nothing more. But when Jackie Conners, an off-duty waitress, showed up early for an after-hours staff meeting, she said she saw something very different that disturbed her.

“They looked like they were having a good time, just drinking,” Conners told “20/20.” “Things started getting louder and louder, and then the baby started getting fussy.”

According to Conners, Adams began to breastfeed Ana, but she wasn’t drinking beer.

Conners, who said she was just trying to do the right thing, was fired the week after she called the police on Adams.

“If I was ever in that situation again, I would still do the same thing, because that baby can’t speak up for itself,” Conners said. “No one else was doing anything. Even if I knew my job was on the line and it was right around the holidays, I would still do it again.”

According to Conners, Adams began to breastfeed Ana, but she wasn’t drinking beer.

glad she got fired. even though the mother was not drinking at the time and this waitress had no idea if she had been drinking at all, she still called the cops. Mom should sue her busy-body ass.

I love when people cant mind their own business, and get nailed for it.

Charges dropped, Conners fired. Seems all's well that ends well.

I agree but it's this whole "outrage syndrome" that seems to be creeping up in society. I see it here on the board all the time, where people justify their condemning judgments in order to seem self righteous. It's really an obnoxious way of getting attention and socially interacting.

It has a lot to do with there being 24/h media available. That's a lot of hours to fill, so along comes a non-story like this and BAM! outrage follows. If we just had the news at 6, and it was only a hour long, this story isn't in the picture.

I agree but it's this whole "outrage syndrome" that seems to be creeping up in society. I see it here on the board all the time, where people justify their condemning judgments in order to seem self righteous. It's really an obnoxious way of getting attention and socially interacting.

It has a lot to do with there being 24/h media available. That's a lot of hours to fill, so along comes a non-story like this and BAM! outrage follows. If we just had the news at 6, and it was only a hour long, this story isn't in the picture.

The top stories are even changing in scope. Look at the missing plane for the Malaysian Airline, that coverage was non stop over the Russian/Ukraine conflict.

It has more to do with a lack of social priorities and sense of fairness. Finger pointers don't like it when it happens to them but have no problem stirring up the mob. If society would work more on their own faults individually, we wouldn't need so many tongues wagging.

NO.

Not Toad Suck, Arkansas. Please, no.

Back
Top Bottom