• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge recognizes gay marriages of 3 Tennessee couples

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

In October three same-sex couples filed a lawsuit asking the state to recognize their marriages that had been performed in states where gay marriage is legal. The four couples taking part in the suit were living and had been married in New York or California but had moved to Tennessee."At this point, all signs indicate that, in the eyes of the United States Constitution, the plaintiffs' marriages will be placed on an equal footing with those of heterosexual couples and that proscriptions against same-sex marriage will soon become a footnote in the annals of American history," Judge Aleta Trauger wrote in the order.
Friday's U.S. District Court ruling applies only to these three couples.Nashville lawyer Abby Rubenfeld, who represents the couples, cheered the legal win and said it was a good first step toward total equality for all same-sex married couples in Tennessee.
Back-ups:
UPDATE: Federal judge says Tennessee must recognize same-sex mar - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
Federal judge orders Tenn. to recognize 3 same-sex marriages - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee
Tennessee must recognize marriages of 3 same-sex couples -judge | Reuters
Federal Judge: Same-Sex Marriage Legal For Three Tennessee Couples
Federal judge rules Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages | Fox News

Just another little chip and nail in the coffin of bigotry, inequality and or discrimination!

This is another FEDERAL ruling but only a prelim for now and it seems like the Tenn. AG will appeal to SCOTUS once he loses which i hope he does so much.

Changes/Updates in RED
3/15/14 Version 7.2

22 States with Equal Rights (4 pending)

Massachusetts - May 17, 2004
Connecticut - November 12, 2008
Iowa - April 27, 2009
Vermont - September 1, 2009
New Hampshire - January 1, 2010
Washing D.C. - March 9, 2010
FALL OF DADT Dec 18, 2010
New York - July 24, 2011
Washington - December 6, 2012
Maine - December 29, 2012
Maryland - January 1, 2013
FALL OF DOMA - June 26, 2013
California - June 28, 2013
Delaware - July 1, 2013
Rhode Island - August 1, 2013
Minnesota - August 1, 2013
New Jersey - October 21, 2013
Hawaii - December 2, 2013
New Mexico – December 19, 2013
Utah – December 20. 2013 Currently Stayed and will be ruled on with OK)
Oklahoma - Currently Stayed and will be ruled on with UT)
GSK v. Abbott Laboratories - January 21, 2014 (could be huge in gay rights, discrimination/heightened scrutiny)
Kentucky - February 2/14/14 (Must recognize out-of-state marriages) which will lead to their ban being defeated
Virginia - February 2/14/14 (Stayed)
Texas - February 2/26/2014 (pending 10th Circuit Court of Appeals)
Illinois - June 1, 2014 effective

20 States Working Towards Equal Rights

13 States with Pending Court Cases to Establish Equal Rights
Alabama
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan (Feb 2014 Trial)
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Pennsylvania (June 14 Trial)
South Carolina
Tennessee (Direct US Constitution Challenge)(Prilim in and 3 couples are recognized, later broader ruling coming)
West Virginia
Wisconsin

5 States with Court Case(s) and Legislation to establish Equal Rights
Arizona
Arkansas (Decision Pending and 2016 ballot)
Florida
Nevada
Ohio (December 2013 trial) Trial had narrow ruling that Ohio will recognize OTHER state marriages but didn’t impact bans. New cases expected.

3 States with Legislation to Establish Equal Rights
Alaska
Colorado
Oregon

thats 42 states that could have equal rights by 2016 and some much sooner!

US Court of Appeals Tracker
Map: Court Locator
1st - all states have equal rights
2nd - all states have equal rights
3rd - pending
4th - april/may court case
5th- pending
6th - pending
7th- pending
8th- two cases that the plaintiffs PLAN to take all the way up if needed but nothing pending
9th- pending (statement released "as soon as possible")

Also 3 State Attorney Generals no longer defending the constitutionality of bans, joining the case against them or reviewing their constitutionality
Nevada
Oregon
Pennsylvania

7 States that still have unequal rights and nothing pending to change it yet, that’s it 7

Indiana
Montana
Nebraska
Georgia
North Dakota
South Dakota
Wyoming

#EqualRightsAreWinning!!!!!!!!!!!!

also please feel free to let me know of any corrections or updates that need made, thanks

I support legalization of gay marriage, but these recent spate of court cases are disgusting to me. These judges should run for legislative office if they want to make up new laws and stop using the court bench to do it. Any notion that a 19th Century amendment was in any way intended to be interpreted as mandating a legal redefinition of one of the oldest social institutions in history is ridiculous. Before anyone pipes in to argue against the whole original intent argument, you have to ask yourself what value the constitution actually has if unelected officials with no term limits can make it say whatever the hell they want it to say without any regard for the legislatures or popular votes. What we are seeing is ideologues treating the Constitution like so much used toilet paper. Honestly, it is hard for me to not see this as a deliberately engineered political event.

The 14th amendment was meant to apply to everything. Equal protection under the law means all laws. Not just a few that people had in mind 150 years ago. All.

This contest is already over. There will be another supreme court case in a few years, and it will result in national protection for same sex couples. That's really all there is to it. The nation has decided, and the courts are responding. Working as intended.

I support legalization of gay marriage, but these recent spate of court cases are disgusting to me. These judges should run for legislative office if they want to make up new laws and stop using the court bench to do it. Any notion that a 19th Century amendment was in any way intended to be interpreted as mandating a legal redefinition of one of the oldest social institutions in history is ridiculous. Before anyone pipes in to argue against the whole original intent argument, you have to ask yourself what value the constitution actually has if unelected officials with no term limits can make it say whatever the hell they want it to say without any regard for the legislatures or popular votes. What we are seeing is ideologues treating the Constitution like so much used toilet paper. Honestly, it is hard for me to not see this as a deliberately engineered political event.

well its a good thing no "new laws" have been made so your worry is all for not, your while post seems to be pure fallacy not support by any facts but just feelings and opinions. Now of course you are more than welcome to these feelings and opinions but I see no FACTUAL writing of new laws or treating the constitution like toilet paper.

That aside

I can totally understand how one can "support" something but not want rules or laws broken to do so, FOr example, i myself would and do totally support abortion being limited to 20 weeks like many states have done but i dont support the states doing it by themselves because it violated RvW and individual rights.

SO my question is about your support fo equal rights for gays.

WHat do you want done? Why do you think they should have equal rights etc.

SInce i dont want to ASSume anything, Please describe for me your position and vision on gay rights?

This is precisely why we have courts, if the legislative has the power to remove rights from people or groups then you're just going to find yourself in the tyranny of the majority. The courts are the reason why the minority still has their rights.

Back
Top Bottom