• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ukraine crisis: Opposition asserts authority in Kiev

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Opposition asserts authority in Kiev

Ukraine's opposition has asserted its authority over Kiev and parliament in a day of fast-paced events.

MPs have replace the parliamentary speaker and attorney general, appointed a new pro-opposition interior minister and voted to free jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko.

Police appear to have abandoned their posts across the capital.

Protesters in Kiev have walked unchallenged into the president's official and residential buildings.

President Viktor Yanukovych and opposition leaders signed a peace deal on Friday after several days of violence in which dozens of people died in a police crackdown on months of protest.

But the deal failed to end the protests and huge crowds remain in Independence Square, the Maidan.

The opposition have called for elections before 25 May, earlier than envisaged in Friday's peace deal.

The president's whereabouts are unclear - his aides say he is in Kharkhiv, close to the border with Russia.

Presidential aide Hanna Herman said he was due to give a televised address later.
So what can Washington, DC learn from this? That listening to the people is important maybe?

One thing it shows is that it is better for the population, if the strongman leaves earlier than in Syria.

I think it's a bit premature to assume Yanukovich is giving up. He's got a lot of support in the eastern half of the country, and just to the north of the border. I'd like to think you're right, but I think you're wrong.

I think it's a bit premature to assume Yanukovich is giving up. He's got a lot of support in the eastern half of the country, and just to the north of the border. I'd like to think you're right, but I think you're wrong.

He does have support in the east.. but he's been impeached. Yanukovich only hope to retain power is a bloody civil war now.

Will Ukraine split in two (pro EU/pro Russia)?

I love how you have taken this potentially international crisis as a lesson for the American congress, self absorbed doesnt cover it....

You don't think it is appropriate to learn things from what occurs in other countries? Self absorbed doesn't cover it.....

You don't think it is appropriate to learn things from what occurs in other countries?

I think their are far more pressing issues right now than the statement in the OP. Plus this is a breaking news section...

So what can Washington, DC learn from this? That listening to the people is important maybe?

If there's one lesson for world leaders to learn here, it is to keep your financial and economic house in order. Throughout history, economic decline or crisis has been the single biggest generator of popular unrest. People expect the political elites to act like spoiled children, so they can live with that. However, when the financial house begins to fall, that effects people directly and spurs action.

Will Ukraine split in two (pro EU/pro Russia)?

Kharkiv's regional governor, Mikhaylo Dobkin, told the meeting of MPs from predominantly Russian-speaking areas of eastern Ukraine and Crimea : "We're not preparing to break up the country. We want to preserve it.".
However, they have refused to recognise developments in the national parliament. They are calling "fascist" those who have taken power in Kiev, and do not want armed fighters to come to their towns.
In a resolution they determined to "take responsibility for safeguarding the constitutional order, legality, citizens' rights and their security on our territories".

Sounds like fighting talk to me.

I thought about that myself. I understand that the president has a lot of support from the eastern part of the Ukraine as the people there are pro-Russia and closer in proximity.

What if the majority of the country supported the president the rioters are trying to oust?

For example, the majority of America elected President Obama not once, but twice. What if 30,000 or so rightwing extremists ascended on Washington and started burning things down? Should the government listen to that minority block of people over the millions that make up the majority?

You see, the Ukraine president might very well be listening to the people. I have to wonder what % of the country these rebels represent.

A government can't let the wants and desires of a handful whiney pukes over ride the will of the majority. Even if they do start throwing malitov cocktails.

I thought about that myself. I understand that the president has a lot of support from the eastern part of the Ukraine as the people there are pro-Russia and closer in proximity.

What if the majority of the country supported the president the rioters are trying to oust?

For example, the majority of America elected President Obama not once, but twice. What if 30,000 or so rightwing extremists ascended on Washington and started burning things down? Should the government listen to that minority block of people over the millions that make up the majority?

You see, the Ukraine president might very well be listening to the people. I have to wonder what % of the country these rebels represent.

A government can't let the wants and desires of a handful whiney pukes over ride the will of the majority. Even if they do start throwing malitov cocktails.

They are not a small minority and they are not"whiney pukes", they are patriots fighting for the very soul of their country. Will it be a country based on the rule of law, or Russias interests.

Thousands of people, outraged that a long-standing aspiration for integration with Europe had been ditched overnight, poured into central Kiev for peaceful protests. They have occupied Independence Square, ever since.

Several developments - including police attacks on student protesters, severe new anti-protest laws, and the abduction and beating of opposition activists which have caused the demonstrations to spread and intensify. These protests are now less about Europe than about getting rid of a president who they believe is clinging to power and serving the interests of his own close circle and Mr Putin.

Last edited:

A government that does not have the military strength or the will to use it would have no choice.

In Washington, it wouldn't be just molotov cocktails.

They are not a small minority and they are not"whiney pukes", they are patriots fighting for the very soul of their country. Will it be a country based on the rule of law, or Russias interests.

Thousands of people, outraged that a long-standing aspiration for integration with Europe had been ditched overnight, poured into central Kiev for peaceful protests. They have occupied Independence Square, ever since.

Several developments - including police attacks on student protesters, severe new anti-protest laws, and the abduction and beating of opposition activists which have caused the demonstrations to spread and intensify. These protests are now less about Europe than about getting rid of a president who they believe is clinging to power and serving the interests of his own close circle and Mr Putin.

I get all that. If I was a resident there I might very well be one of those out in the streets.

But I was more wondering what portion, percentage-wise, do these rebels represent?

I ask because I truly don't know. My concerns questioned more on the scenerio of a handful of ideologists, (in respect to total population,) creating havoc when they don't get their way. Is the government right to meet them with force?

Obama demanded the government of Ukraine resist violence. Would America be preaching the same demands if 50k rednecks were knocking on the White House door trying to burn down the government? I submit that even our government would use violence in such a situation or to put down a coup.

According to the BBC President Yanukovych attempted to flee to Russia and was stopped by border guards, his whereabouts are currently unknown. Furthermore several leading allies including a senior Governor and several mayors from eastern Ukraine have fled the country and that Mykhailo Dobkin Yanukovych's staunch ally and Governor of Kharkov has also fled according to Interfax. The chips seem to be falling rapidly and its possible that we may be headed towards some sort of end game sooner than was supposed.

I love how you have taken this potentially international crisis as a lesson for the American congress, self absorbed doesnt cover it....

Aren't you a United States citizen?

Check out the video and see how National Heroes are being born. This is how legends begin.

In the explanation of what they are fighting against, note the appearance at 1:18 of Totalitarian Liberalism.

Wow. I believe we just witnessed a revolution.

I get all that. If I was a resident there I might very well be one of those out in the streets.

But I was more wondering what portion, percentage-wise, do these rebels represent?

I ask because I truly don't know. My concerns questioned more on the scenerio of a handful of ideologists, (in respect to total population,) creating havoc when they don't get their way. Is the government right to meet them with force?

Obama demanded the government of Ukraine resist violence. Would America be preaching the same demands if 50k rednecks were knocking on the White House door trying to burn down the government? I submit that even our government would use violence in such a situation or to put down a coup.

When are where should I meet up with the other 49,999?

Check out this Orthodox Priest. Priestly garb? Check. Cross? Check. Gas mask? Check. Shield? Check. Burning wasteland in background? Check.

Bg63xSTCMAAiJfT.jpg

Id like to say the chump in chief might realize that his foreign policy is an utter disaster, and that perhaps he should speak more forcefully FOR people seeking freedom from oppression, but he's putins b itch. In the mean time, russian communists and other agitators continue to take pot shots at people in the streets, its disgusting.

These priests, on the other hand support the people and are doing much to keep the violence from getting worse. I respect people who walk the walk.
526289718.jpg

52e36feb50960.image.jpg

1386592813000-AP-Ukraine-Protest.jpg

February 2014 Euromaidan riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom