• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Staten Island Borough President: Don’t Give Money to the Red Cross

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Obama was just bragging on the Red Cross. This won't look good for him, since he was ready to give them the whole show.

At a press conference this morning on Staten Island, a host of local officials, including Senators Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, gathered to highlight the needs of the hard-hit borough in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. And, although many pols spoke, no one was more impassioned than Borough President James Molinaro, who called the Red Cross an “absolute disgrace” and even urged the public to cease giving them contributions.

“Because the devastation in Staten Island, the lack of a response,” Mr. Molinaro said to explain his comment to NBC after the press conference. “You know, I went to a shelter Monday night after the storm. People were coming in with no socks, with no shoes. They were in desperate need. Their housing was destroyed. They were crying. Where was the Red Cross? Isn’t that their function? They collect millions of dollars. Whenever there’s a drive in Staten Island, we give openly and honestly. Where are they? Where are they? I was at the South Shore yesterday, people were buried in their homes. There the dogs are trying to find bodies. The people there, the neighbors who had no electricity, were making soup. Making soup. It’s very emotional because the lack of a response. The lack of a response. They’re supposed to be here….They should be on the front lines fighting, and helping the people.”

Staten Island Borough President: Don’t Give Money to the Red Cross | Politicker

If the Red Cross isn't cutting the mustard, why hasn't FEMA, or DHS stepped in to take over and get the ball rolling?

Let the double standard roll!

That sounds like some pretty serious whining from Molinaro. How many sets of socks and shoes was the Red Cross supposed to have pre-positioned? And how did the borough powers-that-be get caught so far off guard?

Obama was just bragging on the Red Cross. This won't look good for him, since he was ready to give them the whole show.

If the Red Cross isn't cutting the mustard, why hasn't FEMA, or DHS stepped in to take over and get the ball rolling?

Hold on. I thought the federal government was supposed to be there from day one giving the people whatever it is they want. That's what we learned from Katrina isn't it? Why rag on the Red Cross? They are not a government agency, they can only do what their level of revenue from donations allows. And they are VOLUNTEERS. It's the government that can print money.

That sounds like some pretty serious whining from Molinaro. How many sets of socks and shoes was the Red Cross supposed to have pre-positioned? And how did the borough powers-that-be get caught so far off guard?

why isn't the government johnny on the spot with aid?

where is the outrage now? We here all the fairy tales about Katrina, but people are strangely silent,

Sandy may be Obama's Katrina, but Obama is far superior to Bush in dodging accountability.

A heart as big as a hurricane...

BlowMe.jpg

I quit giving to the Red Cross years ago after helping in recoveries for a hurricane on the Gulf Coast and tornadoes in Oklahoma. Also after reading in the Combined Federal Campaign documentation on just how much of donations are spent on doing the job they claim and how much for "administration". (If someone has a copy of this years, perhaps you can quote it, been out too long to attempt quoting those numbers) It's not a disaster relief agency, it's a gravy train running to the Hamptons for the executives of it.

ARC admin is around 5% and logistical costs around the same. 90% of contributions going to aid seems pretty good to me.

Perhaps FEMA should be sending a few thousand of their 7,400 employees to these areas to make soup. It's not that hard. Even I can do it.

Why isn't Obama doing something to help those people instead of out there on the stump bragging about how great the USA economy is doing.

Why isn't Obama doing something to help those people instead of out there on the stump bragging about how great the USA economy is doing.

He doesn't know how to make soup.

Obama just does photo ops.

President Obama was with Gov. Chris Christie on the ground in Jersey and then in the air, in Marine One, and was not at one of the great addresses there are in New York, the great neighborhood of Breezy Point, because the mayor told him that the cops of New York City were needed elsewhere and everywhere on this day.

Bloomberg told Obama not to come to NY. Don't blame Obama.

With FEMA and Obama's response to Hurricane Sandy, 'big government' isn't just an election talking point

Sorry, I was going by memory of something that happened in the late '80s. Either my memory is bad (very possible) or the bad press caused them to clean up their act in the intervening years.(also very possible). Thus my statement was irrelevant and I shall flog myself with wet noodles to remind me not to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom