• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

Connery

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"A spokesman for the Taliban in Pakistan's Swat Valley confirmed the terror organization was behind the shooting of a 14-year-old activist Tuesday.
Malala Yousafzai was targeted by the Taliban because she is an outspoken advocate and supporter of education for girls. She was shot in the head on her way home from school in the main city of Mingora.

According to one source inside the Pakistani Taliban, the terrorist organization felt threatened by the young girl because of her pro-west sentiments and promotion of Western cultures, her outspokenness against the Taliban and her love for U.S. President Barack Obama.

Although the brutal attempted murder of such a young girl was met with outrage among many Pakistanis, a spokesman for the Taliban said they would target the girl again if she survived the shot to the head."

Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist - Global Agenda - News - Israel National News

As long as there are courageous people like this girl there is hope that someday people will experience those freedoms that many of us enjoy as a way of life. Life among the Taliban is a living hell.

"A spokesman for the Taliban in Pakistan's Swat Valley confirmed the terror organization was behind the shooting of a 14-year-old activist Tuesday.
Malala Yousafzai was targeted by the Taliban because she is an outspoken advocate and supporter of education for girls. She was shot in the head on her way home from school in the main city of Mingora.

According to one source inside the Pakistani Taliban, the terrorist organization felt threatened by the young girl because of her pro-west sentiments and promotion of Western cultures, her outspokenness against the Taliban and her love for U.S. President Barack Obama.

Although the brutal attempted murder of such a young girl was met with outrage among many Pakistanis, a spokesman for the Taliban said they would target the girl again if she survived the shot to the head."

Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist - Global Agenda - News - Israel National News

As long as there are courageous people like this girl there is hope that someday people will experience those freedoms that many of us enjoy as a way of life. Life among the Taliban is a living hell.
Horrible, horrible people. When I was there they burned down a local girls' school that we helped build. They are intent to stay in the middle ages, and there they will stay.

The Marine squad leader we know who was in the Helman District came to have a VERY low opinion of the Afghani people, who he saw as dedicated to deliberately remaining ignorant. He recalled talking to one and asking him wouldn't he like for his son to have an education and improve his life. The man replied no, that some day his son would have his sheep herd like he had from his father, so his son's life was determined when he was born, such is the will of Allah.

The longer he was there, the less he liked them and the more he didn't care what happened to them.

This is terrible. Unfortunately, there will be many more deaths of brave women and men who are willing to fight for rights. RIP Malala.

The Marine squad leader we know who was in the Helman District came to have a VERY low opinion of the Afghani people, who he saw as dedicated to deliberately remaining ignorant. He recalled talking to one and asking him wouldn't he like for his son to have an education and improve his life. The man replied no, that some day his son would have his sheep herd like he had from his father, so his son's life was determined when he was born, such is the will of Allah.

The longer he was there, the less he liked them and the more he didn't care what happened to them.

And people think I'm a hardass because I don't believe we can bring democracy to people who aren't socially and psychologically ready for it. I know several peeps who have spent time there, both as military, and as contractors. The concensus is that it's pretty much a hopeless cause, until a major change happens from within, and I don't expect that for another thousand years or so.

The thing is, there are people like there here in the US, and we have had a longer time to adjust to the idea of freedom.

It is good to be reminded of the mindset of the people we are fighting against. This is what many of the terrorist orgs and their state supporters would like to impose on the entire world, if they ever got the chance.

And people think I'm a hardass because I don't believe we can bring democracy to people who aren't socially and psychologically ready for it. I know several peeps who have spent time there, both as military, and as contractors. The concensus is that it's pretty much a hopeless cause, until a major change happens from within, and I don't expect that for another thousand years or so.

The interesting thing about history is, it shows how people go through the process of change. We didn't transition to change so well either. Women were not even allowed to vote until 1920, and we had to fight for that right. It isn't exactly fair to expect people to do better than we did when government and culture starts to go through a major change.

The interesting thing about history is, it shows how people go through the process of change. We didn't transition to change so well either. Women were not even allowed to vote until 1920, and we had to fight for that right. It isn't exactly fair to expect people to do better than we did when government and culture starts to go through a major change.

I don't expect anything of them at all. I just believe they should be taking care of their own issues, and we should mind our own business. It's a cold cruel world out there, and the only thing that can change people, are the people themselves. Their culture is not ready for change on a grand scale, or they would already be making the transition.

It is good to be reminded of the mindset of the people we are fighting against. This is what many of the terrorist orgs and their state supporters would like to impose on the entire world, if they ever got the chance.

This is a good way to answers these creeps...survive and become a symbol of her cause for freedom and education. I do not believe these people will change but for this 14 year old to stand against the Taliban and their means of disposing of problems may inspire others.

Do better? Expecting them not to try killing 14 year old girls isn't putting higher expectations on them than we did on ourselves.

I saw a pic this morning, and it made me sick. And angry. Of course, children, particularly girls, are expendable in this primitive tribal culture, so shooting a 14-year old isn't really a surprise. I'm sure the shooter is very proud of himself, actually.

Do better? Expecting them not to try killing 14 year old girls isn't putting higher expectations on them than we did on ourselves.

I never said it was ok that they killed this girl. I was responding to somthing said about how the people are not showing a desire to change. It is horrible what is happening there. But, if you look at or history we have many atrosities along our path of securing equal rights for all. Off the top of my head, I recall a church bombing in Birmingham Alabama where four young girls were killed.

I never said it was ok that they killed this girl. I was responding to somthing said about how the people are not showing a desire to change. It is horrible what is happening there. But, if you look at or history we have many atrosities along our path of securing equal rights for all. Off the top of my head, I recall a church bombing in Birmingham Alabama where four young girls were killed.

Were the targets specifically children? Look, your post was either poorly phrased or poorly constructed. We have all the justification in the world for expecting that people of any cultural not willfully and intentionally slaughter children.

I don't know how our government can even consider these people worthy of any kind of recognition on the world stage. When will we speak up for the people persecuted by the Taliban. "Peace Partner" indeed.

Or you could say something even remotely progressive instead of indulging in these specious equivalencies aimed at defending these horrific practices.

It's your call.

Last edited:
-- RIP Malala.

Thankfully the girl survived the brutal attack however there are reports she has worsened and could need to be flown out for treatment.

Malala Yousafzai was shot in the head on her way home from school in Mingora, the main town in the Swat Valley.

The president and prime minister have led condemnation of the attack.

Initial reports suggested she was out of danger, but there is growing concern over her condition with some reports saying she may need treatment abroad.

A Pakistani Taliban spokesman told the BBC they carried out the attack.

Ehsanullah Ehsan told BBC Urdu that they attacked her because she was anti-Taliban and secular, adding that she would not be spared.

Malala Yousafzai came to public attention in 2009 by writing a diary for BBC Urdu about life under Taliban militants who had taken control of the valley. Link

I saw a pic this morning, and it made me sick. And angry. Of course, children, particularly girls, are expendable in this primitive tribal culture, so shooting a 14-year old isn't really a surprise. I'm sure the shooter is very proud of himself, actually.

I agree and it underscores how little life itself is valued by these people.

The prime evil philosophy and doctrine of extremist Islam , here with the Taliban, are once again brutally demonstrated for the world to judge, and surely the judgement must be one of utter condemnation.

Were the targets specifically children? Look, your post was either poorly phrased or poorly constructed. We have all the justification in the world for expecting that people of any cultural not willfully and intentionally slaughter children.
The bomb in Birmingham blew up when children were starting to come to Sunday school. The timing would indicate that children were being targeted. My point has nothing to do with excusing anyone for these horrible actions. What I am saying is, we can't expect the Middle East to do a better job than we did when our country went through the same changes their country is going through. It took us well over 200 years to have equal rights. Some people are expecting the Arab Spring to improve everyone's lives in the Middle East over night. That is an unrealistic expectation.

The bomb in Birmingham blew up when children were starting to come to Sunday school. The timing would indicate that children were being targeted. My point has nothing to do with excusing anyone for these horrible actions. What I am saying is, we can't expect the Middle East to do a better job than we did when our country went through the same changes their country is going through. It took us well over 200 years to have equal rights. Some people are expecting the Arab Spring to improve everyone's lives in the Middle East over night. That is an unrealistic expectation.

So you're justifying the killing of a little girl and condemning those who would speak out against it.

Got it.

Or you could say something even remotely progressive instead of indulging in these specious equivalencies aimed at defending these horrific practices.

It's your call.

Nothing I said defended the horrific practice of killing children for speaking up for their own freedom. My response was to those who seem to think that the Arab Spring should have made everythng in the middle east better over night. Change never takes place over night. It will take years of struggle. We call it sufferage movements.

So you're justifying the killing of a little girl and condemning those who would speak out against it.

Got it.

Defending the Taliban to show she's "progressive".

What a concept, eh?

Nothing I said defended the horrific practice of killing children for speaking up for their own freedom. My response was to those who seem to think that the Arab Spring should have made everythng in the middle east better over night. Change never takes place over night. It will take years of struggle. We call it sufferage movements.

For starters, Pakistanis are not Arab.

But if you wish to continue to defend the Taliban through these disgusting comparisons, be my guest. Some might question your motivation for defending the Taliban's intentional shooting of a little girl by comparing it to women voting in this country, though.

You can't be honestly comparing not allowing women the vote to killing children, can you?

You can't be honestly comparing a fringe group here in the United States to a nation wide philosophy and culture over there, can you?

Back
Top Bottom