• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio To Build Supermax For Wild Animals

Pinkie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is the single most retarded state I have ever lived in as regards wild animals in the hands of private parties.

Many of you may recall that in October of last year, a central Ohio man let loose dozens of wild animals, most of them predators, before committing suicide. They were euthanized by the local police, but not before a panic set in. There have been other incidents in which a wild animal has maimed or killed an owner and even a neighbor or visitor to the property.

So we finally managed to pass a law, requiring citizens who have such animals to register them, and by next year, to get a permit for them. That permit will ensure that whatever animals are in private hands here are secure and held in a humane setting, with adequate care and food.

No one with any sense thinks 90% of the animals will be eligible for permitting, as the conditions in which they live are not secure and not humane. So Ohio's response is to build a $3.5 million "super-max" for those animals that overflow the capacity of zoos and other sanctuaries.

That won't be the total cost, of course -- these animals will need food, care, keepers, etc. It's empire-building on steroids, in a state where a good many urban public schools are in disrepair.

WTH they couldn't just euthanize an animal that can't be placed is totally beyond me -- and I'm just disgusted by this turn of events.

Ohio moves ahead with wild animal lockup | cleveland.com

They aren't allowed to euthanize an endangered species, I expect.

Back
Top Bottom