• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UVA Denies Obama Campaign Request

The Prof

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A University of Virginia spokeswoman says President Barack Obama will not be at the university when he comes to Charlottesville on Wednesday. In a statement released Friday, it was confirmed that the university declined the president's request to speak at UVA.

UVA says the Obama campaign requested the use of one of two outdoor venues - the Amphitheater or the Harrison-Small Library plaza. The university declined the request for a number of reasons including class cancellations, which UVA estimates could be more than 186 classes on the second day of school. The other main reason is they would have to take on the full cost of security, and because of university policy and their federal and state tax exempt status, they would have to offer the same opportunity to the other candidate so as not to show favor for either candidate.

Virginia's top Democrat is playing down the snub. While stopping in Albemarle County, Virginia Democratic Party Chairman Brian Moran told NBC29, "We're proud that he's coming. We're very excited that he's coming to Charlottesville, regardless of where in Charlottesville. Charlottesville is known for the University of Virginia, so I don't think that's going to be missed on anyone."

According to the UVA Communications Office earlier on Friday, they offered up John Paul Jones Arena, but were told it "was not academic enough" by the Obama for America campaign.

UVA Declines Obama Campaign Request - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

obama's crowds are way down, he says he wants it that way

PICKET:Obama camp - We are intentionally limiting crowd size at rallies - Washington Times

apparently, romney-ryan don't have the same problem

Obama Camp Panics Over Romney Crowd Size - 2012 Election - Fox Nation

and the funding... well, i shouldn't have to tell you, even the political media have been all over that

romney outraised obama-dnc 3 straight months by tens of millions

and that's not counting all those poisonous pacs, those corrupt kochs and rotten roves

obama, meanwhile, runs his campaign the way he does his govt, he burned thru some 30 million more than he raised in july

our one term president has outspent the new guys all told by 2:1

USA Today: Obama campaign's spending outpaces its fundraising

Obama, DNC spending exceeded donations in July | Fox News

in the next two months, republicans are gonna rule the airwaves by a lot more than that

american elections are won and lost on enthusiasm

and information---informed voters in november will far outpoll their good friends and neighbors who don't care enough to know what's going on

I once heard about the millions that the Kenyan campaign was spending on polling. I find the "limiting" comment to be absolutely mind boggling. I think the Kenyan can't stand the bad news he got on what his Connecticut fundraiser cost the local community and the failure of the DNC (isn't that another way of saying 'the Kenyan') to pony up the cash to pay for the security. I think that he can't afford to pay for his campaign security because of the cost of too many negative ads against Romney and Ryan. Anyhoo ... this is the same Kenyan that stated he was going to raise a billion $$. Even with a little fuzzy math, that hasn't happened.

But more importantly, the enthusiasm he once generated because of 'hope and change' has fallen off a cliff because the reality of false hope is indeed making for a change. "The great unifier" has become such a devisive figure (with a lot of help from Eric) that even that trite phrase is going away.

The folks at UV really showed their mettle in saying no to the egoist. They showed him that at least at UV, the Kenyan is not the center of the universe.

God I love it.

A L

I once heard about the millions that the Kenyan campaign was spending on polling. I find the "limiting" comment to be absolutely mind boggling. I think the Kenyan can't stand the bad news he got on what his Connecticut fundraiser cost the local community and the failure of the DNC (isn't that another way of saying 'the Kenyan') to pony up the cash to pay for the security. I think that he can't afford to pay for his campaign security because of the cost of too many negative ads against Romney and Ryan. Anyhoo ... this is the same Kenyan that stated he was going to raise a billion $$. Even with a little fuzzy math, that hasn't happened.

But more importantly, the enthusiasm he once generated because of 'hope and change' has fallen off a cliff because the reality of false hope is indeed making for a change. "The great unifier" has become such a devisive figure (with a lot of help from Eric) that even that trite phrase is going away.

The folks at UV really showed their mettle in saying no to the egoist. They showed him that at least at UV, the Kenyan is not the center of the universe.

God I love it.

A L

So, how's the birther club going?

today: GM shuns political poster child role, bans candidate visits until after Election Day | General Motors news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

GM, saved by federal loans a few years ago, desperately wants to avoid becoming the centerpiece of campaign rhetoric. So it has banned candidates from its plants at least until after Election Day, Nov. 6, despite the fact that the U.S. Treasury remains its largest shareholder.

darn, it looks like romney and ryan won't be able to go now

LOL!

cuz, as bob ferguson, gm's vp of global public policy, puts it: "democrats, republicans and independents all buy cars"

joel ewanik pointed out: "it's not good to have 50% of your people saying, i'd rather buy a ford because of it"

mr ewanik was gm's global chief marketing official---til he was fired in july

gm's ipo price was $33 in november, 2010

the stock must hit $54 to make the taxpayer whole

it's currently trading at 21.18, down 36%

the hit vs the deficit is projected to be 16B

obama depends on the uninformed voter, he and she won't be there for him when he needs them

I've been near universities when the president (both Obama and Bush) has come to speak on campus. It's NOT fun for the city or the university to deal with that kind of traffic and massive security presence. I realize it's supposed to be an honor to host the president, but honestly I think more universities should turn away the president. In most cases it just seems like it isn't worth it.

I've been near universities when the president (both Obama and Bush) has come to speak on campus. It's NOT fun for the city or the university to deal with that kind of traffic and massive security presence. I realize it's supposed to be an honor to host the president, but honestly I think more universities should turn away the president. In most cases it just seems like it isn't worth it.

Plus, I don't think either party "pays their way" -- the extra security, overtime, etc., etc. It's a free ride for them.

I've been thinking about this. Virginia is a swing state. A State university turns him down (but offers other arrangements - which are refused). UV gets funds from the State. Is it possible that this is the first sign that Virginia is no longer a swing state?

The Kenyan had a chance to appear ... and then disappeared. Next, comes the claim that he doesn't want large crowds for security reasons (enough to make your barf gland start working).

Methinks maybe the Kenyan is seeing the light and pulling back in VA.

Time will tell.

A L

Back
Top Bottom