• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top court halts Texas execution of convicted triple murderer

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Balentine argued he deserved a reprieve because an ineffective trial lawyer failed to present mitigating evidence, such as emotional problems and a difficult upbringing, that could have led to a life sentence.

Now here's what I don't understand - A couple of weeks ago, the Supreme Court refused to hear the appeal of a man who was retarded, with a verifiable IQ of 61. Then they turn around and grant a reprieve to a triple killer who planned and executed his murders because his lawyer claims he had a difficult upbringing? This does not make sense.

What the **** does the Supreme Court do on death sentence appeals? Do they flip a coin? Heads for fry 'em and tails for let 'em go? Seems that they do. Nothing else can explain this.

Article is here.

Last edited:
Now here's what I don't understand - A couple of weeks ago, the Supreme Court refused to hear the appeal of a man who was retarded, with a verifiable IQ of 61. Then they turn around and grant a reprieve to a triple killer who planned and executed his murders because his lawyer claims he had a difficult upbringing? This does not make sense.

What the **** does the Supreme Court do on death sentence appeals? Do they flip a coin? Heads for fry 'em and tails for let 'em go? Seems that they do. Nothing else can explain this.

Article is here.

**** like this is why lawyers get a bad rep.His childhood and emotional are irrelevant to the fact he committed triple murder.

Article is here.

It's very difficult to understand why there is such a difference in these two appeals. One, the Supreme Court refused to even hear. Yet they are accountable to no one -- neither their decisions nor why they made them.

This is why I hate the idea that once on the Supreme Court you are there till you die or till you can't remember who you are.

Justice Antonin Scalia reviewed Balentine's emergency appeal and referred the case to the full court for consideration.

Here is another surprize. Justice Antonin Scalia is the longest-serving justice currently on the Court. Time to clean up some of the fossils in the court.

I think the basis is not his "emotional problems" but his attorneys failure to present them as a possible mitigating factor. Theoretically, a lawyer is supposed to do everything possible for you no matter what they may think of you.

Sure, he might not get executed. But he won't be going home anytime soon. I'm guessing that Texas prisons are not warm and fuzzy (just my guess).

Article is here.

Back door Eugenics maybe?

I think the basis is not his "emotional problems" but his attorneys failure to present them as a possible mitigating factor. Theoretically, a lawyer is supposed to do everything possible for you no matter what they may think of you.

True ... however, the lawyer code of ethics requires them to also follow the law. I guess that means they aren't supposed to lie. I wonder why lawyer and liar share 3 of the same letters? Must be a coincidence.

A L

If lying were a crime....I can't even imagine how different it would all be.

True ... however, the lawyer code of ethics requires them to also follow the law. I guess that means they aren't supposed to lie. I wonder why lawyer and liar share 3 of the same letters? Must be a coincidence.

A L

So, when a lawyer knows you committed a crime and then has you plead not guilty, is that perjury?

Also, lets not lose track of the original point. His lawyer would not have lied if he had presented ameliorating testimony about his childhood. Indeed, it was his responsibility to do so. His failure to do so was egregious enough to get a far-right judge to review the case.

No "if" to it. Ever heard of a concept called PERJURY?

A L

So, when a lawyer knows you committed a crime and then has you plead not guilty, is that perjury?

Absolutely not. That same code of ethics REQUIRES the lawyer to put up a vigorous defense.

Also, lets not lose track of the original point. His lawyer would not have lied if he had presented ameliorating testimony about his childhood. Indeed, it was his responsibility to do so. His failure to do so was egregious enough to get a far-right judge to review the case.

I understand your point. It appears to me that the lawyer built and appeal into the case by not including that in the original case. That smacks with unethical ... but it will NEVER happen that any Office of Disciplinary Counsel would find against the lawyer. All of us have heard about 'cop protecting cop' ... same is true of lawyers.

A L

Article is here.

I think they're just screwing with him. This is the third time they put the breaks on an hour before he got the shot.

Letting him think he's going to die, then live, then die, then live...

They're probably betting on how many times it takes before he just hangs himself.

He murdered 3 people in their sleep so I have no problem with them messing with him.

I think they're just screwing with him. This is the third time they put the breaks on an hour before he got the shot.

Letting him think he's going to die, then live, then die, then live...

They're probably betting on how many times it takes before he just hangs himself.

Back
Top Bottom